Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming travel on CX from YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Upcoming travel on CX from YYZ

I have an upcoming trip YYZ-HKG and HKG-PVG on 2 separate tickets (the layover at HKG is several hours). I wonder if someone know off the top of the head, would I be able to get both boarding passes issued when check-in at YYZ?

Also, I need take a positioning flight from US to Toronto using a different airline. Since it will be in January, to plan for potential winter weather delay, I reserved more than 12 hours of transfer time at YYZ. Basically, I’d be at YYZ from 10AM until midnight for departure. I am being ultra conservative, but what happens if weather wasn’t an issue on my travel day, how should I spend (kill) those hours? My YYZ-HKG flight is in business class but I guess the check-in counter and lounge aren’t open until close to flight departure time.

If I were to book (hold) an airport hotel room, how best to proceed with it?

Thanks,
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Assuming YYZ-HKG is on CX,

Originally Posted by deltame
I have an upcoming trip YYZ-HKG and HKG-PVG on 2 separate tickets (the layover at HKG is several hours). I wonder if someone know off the top of the head, would I be able to get both boarding passes issued when check-in at YYZ?
You should be able to be through-checked if your HKG-PVG is on CX, KA, or MU.

Originally Posted by deltame
Also, I need take a positioning flight from US to Toronto using a different airline. Since it will be in January, to plan for potential winter weather delay, I reserved more than 12 hours of transfer time at YYZ. Basically, I’d be at YYZ from 10AM until midnight for departure. I am being ultra conservative, but what happens if weather wasn’t an issue on my travel day, how should I spend (kill) those hours? My YYZ-HKG flight is in business class but I guess the check-in counter and lounge aren’t open until close to flight departure time.
If you don't have checked bag, maybe you can try to see if you can get boarding pass and lounge invite via online check-in and proceed directly to the Plaza Premium lounge. I once entered the lounge about 6 hours before dep. (through-checked from a domestic connection), and they let me in. If you have checked bag, I guess you can't do much... If for some reason your US-YYZ position flight carrier is willing to check your bags through and you can drop your bag at YYZ, maybe it would work, but I can't think of any US carrier that will do this.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Dec 18, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
First of all, kudo for you for being conservative going through YYZ/Canada in the winter. All too often I hear/see people booking min. connections through Canada in mid-winter and when I snow storm hits they ..... everywhere about how they misconnect and the airport sucks at handling snow and blah blah blah lol

Having said that, 10AM till midnight is a long time, so personally I think day room is your best bet. Even if you can drop your bag, the lounge can only kill this many hours before it gets boring and uncomfortable. The upside for the dayroom (assuming you can sleep) is you are basically in HK time zone already when you board.

On the other hand, if your flight falls on Sun, Wed or Fri CX825 operates and you might be able to drop your bag early.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by etkuo
On the other hand, if your flight falls on Sun, Wed or Fri CX825 operates and you might be able to drop your bag early.
JFK used to allow it many years ago (when everything was handled by BA), but not in the past few years (even before the switch to T8). I am thus not so confident that this can be done in YYZ.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
YYZ has a Sheraton attached to the airport where you can book a day room.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to those who responded. The Sheraton looks very nice, however I don't have much points left, I ended up redeeming an award room at one of the Hilton hotels instead.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.