Wiki Posts
Search

New Y seat Pitch on 777 w/photos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
New Y seat Pitch on 777 w/photos

Had the displeasure of flying on one of the newly retrofitted 777's (B-HNS) in Economy from HKG-HND. The 10-across seating has been around for a while now, but seems they've added add'l rows (now goes to 80).

I'm 6'-0", so not a giant. The seats appear to recline rather significantly. Upon takeoff, the person seated in front of me, reclined and the in-seat monitor nearly hit me.

While a rough measurement concluded that the distance from the headrest, to the nearest point of the seat back is 19" only. Of course, when you consider the size of the average human head, the resulting space left is not much.

The purser was understanding, but didn't have much option on a nearly full flight.

I can live with the reduced leg room, but if CX insists on this pitch then they MUST prevent the seats from reclining.

I mostly fly in premium cabins, but do occasionally sit in the back. This incident has made it clear I cannot fly CX in Y any longer.

Unfortunately, I was invited but cannot attend the Chairman's Drinks reception tomorrow. I want to show these photos to him.

This is with the seat ahead reclined

Didn't have a measuring tape but you get the idea. I guess these are A4 sized cards.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:56 am

Front of the back

If needing to travel long haul in Economy then consider paying the additional premium for one of the emergency exit seats if available. Narrower and colder, but solves the legroom problem and nobody leaning into you.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by walkup
If needing to travel long haul in Economy then consider paying the additional premium for one of the emergency exit seats if available. Narrower and colder, but solves the legroom problem and nobody leaning into you.
With the new 10-seat per row setting, I find the bulkhead and exit row seats to be so narrow that it is hard to get the remote control for PTV out.
dddc and oldchinahand like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by walkup
If you get wide body people sitting next to you, you will be leaning into the aisle, wall or your fellow passenger, regardless of where you are sitting.

I flew on an Emirates 777 without realising how narrow their cabin was. It was awful. The lady sitting next to me was "broad" and had her bag on her lap most of the flight so her shoulders were always "out". I was leaning into to aisle for most of the flight but risked constant bumping from people and cards going up a and down. Hence why I try to avoid the refurbished 777s and take the A350 or A330s where possible.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
53DEFG in the front Y cabin of the 77P https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post30136901

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 11, 2019 at 9:40 am
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
53DEFG in the front Y cabin of the 77P https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post30136901
thanks. again however it’s not the 10 abreast that bothers me so much as the seat pitch and decline angle. If CX truly wants to go down this path it will make it much more comfortable for flyers to eliminate the ability to recline.

It’s already not fair to those whose personal space is being invaded and doesn’t accomplish much for comfort while seriously impacting the comfort for the person behind you.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Asiana Gold, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
When airlines started to move from 9 abreast to 10 abreast and passengers complained, I think even Boeing said they did not design the 777 for 10 abreast. We all love to travel but it now comes with a number of challenges and travel etiquette will more and more become essential: who get to use the armrest? shall I inform the passenger behind me that I am about to recline my seat?
No wonder there are so many incidents on board...
somemale likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.