Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in HKG - clear customs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:58 am
amm
Original Poster

Connecting in HKG - clear customs?

Apologies if I missed the correct thread to post this question in.

I have an upcoming itinerary - DFW-HKG on AA and then HKG-SYD on CX - and am wondering if I値l need to clear customs upon arrival in Hong Kong. I知 assuming yes as the flights were booked separately and are not part of the same reservation, but wanted to confirm (especially as I won稚 have any checked luggage).

Thank you!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No need. You'll have nothing to do with HK Customs. You can even ignore HK entry rules like milk powder or fresh meat (I'm not sure AQIS would let either item in, though!)

Not even if you had checked luggage https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post26875238
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by amm
Apologies if I missed the correct thread to post this question in.

I have an upcoming itinerary - DFW-HKG on AA and then HKG-SYD on CX - and am wondering if I’ll need to clear customs upon arrival in Hong Kong. I’m assuming yes as the flights were booked separately and are not part of the same reservation, but wanted to confirm (especially as I won’t have any checked luggage).

Thank you!
As you mentioned you do not have any checked in baggage, in that case just go to the CX transfer desk when you arrive in HKG, get your boarding card and go through transfer security. Maybe you have some luck getting your HKG-SYD boarding card at DFW and in that case you can go straight to transfer security.

if you had checked bags and AA would not check them through on separate tickets, you would need to pass immigration, collect your bags and go to departures to check in, pass security and immigration again to depart.

Globalist
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
if you had checked bags and AA would not check them through on separate tickets, you would need to pass immigration, collect your bags and go to departures to check in, pass security and immigration again to depart.
Not necessary for HKG https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post26875238 . HKG transit staff will retrieve the bag and retag to SYD.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
No need. You'll have nothing to do with HK Customs. You can even ignore HK entry rules like milk powder or fresh meat (I'm not sure AQIS would let either item in, though!)

Not even if you had checked luggage https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post26875238
CX might, but the OP in starting on AA in the US and in that case it depends on AA.

Globalist
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
OT, since this doesn稚 impact the Original Poster..

percy- are you certain that the transit desk still retags checked in bags that were originally destined for HKG? Recall ernestnywang posting a Cx advisory to TW based agents that this was not being offered any more.
ernestnywang and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
CX might, but the OP in starting on AA in the US and in that case it depends on AA.

Globalist
AA will only check to HKG but CX will retag (but as below)
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
percy- are you certain that the transit desk still retags checked in bags that were originally destined for HKG? Recall ernestnywang posting a Cx advisory to TW based agents that this was not being offered any more.
To TPE?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by percysmith
To TPE?
No, in general, that the transit desk wouldn稚 re-tag bags.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29029044-post573.html
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
No, in general, that the transit desk wouldn稚 re-tag bags.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29029044-post573.html
My bad. Fortunately not required in this case.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:57 pm

Since the OP does not have checked bags, the question/concern doesn't really make sense. So I suspect that by "Customs" the OP means immigration (passport control). This is a common incorrect usage, at least in the US.

If so, the answer is, you will not need to pass immigration or Customs; however, you will need to pass through security (as explained in post#3).
jagmeets likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 24, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:08 pm
amm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the quick and thorough information! My employer was concerned about my electronic devices being compromised, but based on your responses looks like I should be okay.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amm
Thank you all for the quick and thorough information! My employer was concerned about my electronic devices being compromised, but based on your responses looks like I should be okay.
Just out of curiosity, why would your electronic devices be compromised?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:50 pm
amm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Just out of curiosity, why would your electronic devices be compromised?
Don稚 have the exact details (I知 not the most savvy on this front). Worry was in case my phone or laptop could be pulled out and away from me for any length of time - like at a security check point or something perhaps.

If that happened (even just for a few minutes), they warned that I should act as if my phone was hacked/some thing installed that could lead to security concerns for the company.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amm
Don稚 have the exact details (I知 not the most savvy on this front). Worry was in case my phone or laptop could be pulled out and away from me for any length of time - like at a security check point or something perhaps.

If that happened (even just for a few minutes), they warned that I should act as if my phone was hacked/some thing installed that could lead to security concerns for the company.
In that case, I think you are witnessing a typical American approach of seeing conspiracies and enemies everywhere (and I say that as someone working for an American company as well).
Hong Kong is a civilised territory (even though it may not appear that way these days on TV), and even if you were going through customs in HKG, you would not have to worry about your devices. In any case (customs or not), the only time you would be separated from your devices would be while it goes through the security scanners, which is no different than any other airport

Enjoy your trip - hopefully with less worries after having received clarification on your question through this thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.