Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Any chance of price reductions due to current unrest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance of price reductions due to current unrest?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
'triplefives' What is your reference to 'gouging based on exactly ?.....given that.there are plenty of alternatives.
'nancypants I am wondering what exactly why you endorse the I believe flawled gouging senario ?
I live in HK nd have done for the past 45 years and Cathay deals for me have always been market competitive and I would would like to understand why from your perspective you find that they are not .
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
'triplefives' What is your reference to 'gouging based on exactly ?.....given that.there are plenty of alternatives.
'nancypants I am wondering what exactly why you endorse the I believe flawled gouging senario ?
I live in HK nd have done for the past 45 years and Cathay deals for me have always been market competitive and I would would like to understand why from your perspective you find that they are not .
I am liking the “they are out to be competitive for connecting passengers” point (I’m assuming this is what you mean by “endorsing the flawed gouging scenario”, not sure that liking a post constitutes endorsement but ok)

They have never ever been even remotely competitive ex Australia or New Zealand in all the years I have been travelling from or to here, and yet suddenly they’re the cheapest option by 20-30%

of course it could be a complete coincidence

Last edited by nancypants; Nov 18, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: MPC Silver
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
I recently flew MNL-HKG for about 130USD. Cheapest I've ever had. Even more recently in a fiesta sale it went to 120USD. It's now gone up a bit again. It seems to vary but is lower than my recollections.

I may go to Disneyland HK for xmas but they don't don't seem to have lowered their advance prices much. I feel last minute they may make big slashes though.

Hotel prices downtown are the cheapest I've ever seen too.
There was a 'Fiesta' sale a couple of weeks ago (At least ex-MNL). Probably one of the lowest prices I've seen from CX travel sales. Also got a MNL-HKG round trip for 130 USD, then got a MNL-NRT round trip for around 270 USD (All in Y). I felt that this "Fiesta" sale was due to CX's lower passenger owing to the situation in HK--though it could be for different reasons too.

Heading to Disneyland for the heck of it too--though rates in my usual hotels did not really fall from the average.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
I have 3 potential flights with CX / KA coming up in December, and have been watching prices (which remain stubornly high, particularly for one way tickets). Any chance the prices will come down if the current unrest continues to adverseley affecting flight loads?
Judging by how lousy the fanfares have been lately, you're not going to see any special deals ex HKG for a one-way flight in December (2-6 weeks away), especially if it overlaps with the school break period in the second half of December.

Best to figure out your flights now (on CX or another carrier), rather than wait and have to pay even more than current quotes.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Agent69
I have 3 potential flights with CX / KA coming up in December, and have been watching prices (which remain stubornly high, particularly for one way tickets). Any chance the prices will come down if the current unrest continues to adverseley affecting flight loads?
Or try TPE/CAN and see if any CX has any firesale fares there. Then use Avios to get yourself back to HKG.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
If one searches for business class fares from PVG or TPE as the origin with a transit in HKG, results can be 20-30% cheaper than the fare from HKG as the origin. Of course, you'd have to re-position yourself but for people who frequently travel to PVG, it wouldn't be difficult for them to purchase tickets that originate and terminate at an outport. This is obviously done to maintain market share in other markets but consumers in the local HK market do not benefit.

Just for curiosity, I randomly checked flights around Christmas on google flights and the results are coming with CX charging a 10-30% premium for certain markets vs other competing non-stops (AMS, LAX, LHR, SFO, EWR, etc.)
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by triplefives
This is obviously done to maintain market share in other markets but consumers in the local HK market do not benefit.

Just for curiosity, I randomly checked flights around Christmas on google flights and the results are coming with CX charging a 10-30% premium for certain markets vs other competing non-stops (AMS, LAX, LHR, SFO, EWR, etc.)
Same for direct CTS in Dec (against HX) or BKK in CNY (against TG).

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 19, 2019 at 2:20 am
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: free agent
Hope there will be nice black friday deals from CX for ex-USA to Asia. I am little baffling at how expensive CX PE is compare to other carriers, especially how Chinese carriers sell business seats less than CX PE sometime
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Hope there will be nice black friday deals from CX for ex-USA to Asia. I am little baffling at how expensive CX PE is compare to other carriers, especially how Chinese carriers sell business seats less than CX PE sometime
For Black Friday 2017, CX offered up some good deals, 50% off on PEY and 60% off on J. I picked up a few J class tickets for $3K during that sale. 2018 sales were disappointing. Hoping they offer something similar to 2017 but seeing very little budge in prices ex-USA for PEY & J fares right now, I wonder if they are more interested in service reductions than price reductions.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by realgaga
CX (and KA) is one of the most expensive carriers ex-HKG
Sometimes CX are the cheapest option besides low-cost carriers for HKG-Aus.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Judging by how lousy the fanfares have been lately, you're not going to see any special deals ex HKG for a one-way flight in December (2-6 weeks away), especially if it overlaps with the school break period in the second half of December.

Best to figure out your flights now (on CX or another carrier), rather than wait and have to pay even more than current quotes.
I've decided to blte the bullet and book the 3 flights with KA, albeit at an inflated price. The flight timings are good, and as OWE I get the advantage of using the pier lounge in HKG.

All I have to do now is resolve the conumdrum which is KA J seats on the A321 where J is not sold. When I booked my tickets I chose seats in Y (all J seats being blocked) however, looking at EF it appears that people can chose a J seat (Y service) a couple of days before the flight operates.Here's hoping I can move forward to the better seats nearer departure.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by Keyes
There was a 'Fiesta' sale a couple of weeks ago (At least ex-MNL). Probably one of the lowest prices I've seen from CX travel sales. Also got a MNL-HKG round trip for 130 USD, then got a MNL-NRT round trip for around 270 USD (All in Y). I felt that this "Fiesta" sale was due to CX's lower passenger owing to the situation in HK--though it could be for different reasons too.

Heading to Disneyland for the heck of it too--though rates in my usual hotels did not really fall from the average.
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Don't count on Disney hotels being "cheap" or heavily discounted. They run promotions for local residents but with some restrictions. I had to stay there for a night last week and the only form of discount was to buy the package which included meals. They might give out extras but the room itself will not be cheap like other 4/5 star hotels.
Thanks guys. CX have a new sale affilianted with my bank, BDO. I can get $130 fares from MNL-HKG on the run up to xmas, so we might avail the offer. Hotels in Mong Kok are insanely cheap (like a 5* hotel - 90USD a night)...but I think that's a direct consequence of the commotion in Kowloon and the hotel's proximity to it and therefore the likelihood of inconvenience should something arise.

I can see Disney hotel for 1,700HKD on the night of the 20th, which with 3x 2-day passes comes to 3,800HKD there about. For what it is I think it's reasonable. It gets more expensive as you get closer to xmas and new year from there.
Keyes likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: MPC Silver
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
Thanks guys. CX have a new sale affilianted with my bank, BDO. I can get $130 fares from MNL-HKG on the run up to xmas, so we might avail the offer. Hotels in Mong Kok are insanely cheap (like a 5* hotel - 90USD a night)...but I think that's a direct consequence of the commotion in Kowloon and the hotel's proximity to it and therefore the likelihood of inconvenience should something arise.

I can see Disney hotel for 1,700HKD on the night of the 20th, which with 3x 2-day passes comes to 3,800HKD there about. For what it is I think it's reasonable. It gets more expensive as you get closer to xmas and new year from there.
If you’re going Disneyland, I recommend getting your tickets from the Klook app/website. Voucher comes in the phone, and you can skip the ticket counter and use the QR code at the turnstile entrance. Voucher can optionally include meal plans for some additional savings.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
From PEN, CX has become one of the cheapest for travel within Asia. They used to be the most expensive by far.

I can fly PEN-HKG-PVG / PEK / CAN in J for less than 900 USD, much less than other competitors.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Keyes
If you’re going Disneyland, I recommend getting your tickets from the Klook app/website. Voucher comes in the phone, and you can skip the ticket counter and use the QR code at the turnstile entrance. Voucher can optionally include meal plans for some additional savings.
But by staying at Disney hotels and using their ticket package you can enter Disneyland an hour before the public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.