Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Transit from QR inbound onto KA departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I have a QR flight arriving into HKG in early afternoon, and am thinking of an onward KA flight later the same day.

I believe QR will interline my baggage onto the KA flight, but I am unsure how long it takes to find a transfer desk and get a boarding pass for the onward flight. Can anyone confirm how much time I should allow, as I would like to visit the pier first lounge (I am OWE) before I depart, and this may affect the time of the KA flight that I choose.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Can you check in online and get a mobile boarding pass? That way you could head straight to transit security?

It should not take that long to get to a transit desk but more importantly if on two tickets Cathay may not protect you if you miss your flight due to Qatar being late.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
QR has a policy of interlining baggage with other OW carries even if they are 2 tickets, just make sure to print the page out if the outstation ground staff don't know it. Regarding the transfer desks, it really depends which gate it lands at but I have never used a bus gate from a QR flight to HKG.

Link: https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/P.../oneworld.html

Last edited by realgaga; Oct 22, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: Adding link
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BA EC
QR should issue a boarding pass to you in the airport of first departure and you do not need to approach the transfer desk in Hong Kong. You can go straight to transit desk.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If QR interline your bags, then you don't need to go to a transfer or transit desk.
Just OLCI on KA and print your boarding pass (or mobile pass), then go through security and to the Pier or Wing F lounge. Maybe QR will even print your KA BP at the originating airport, but better be on the safe side and OLCI.. But OLCI opens 48h before KA departure. But you can also do it on your mobile phone in DOH.

Be aware that many KA flights depart from the KA island (North terminal gates 500s), so it takes quite a bit of time to go from Wing lounge (and more from Pier lounge).
Also KA will check your travel documents at the gate (cannot do it at CX lounges)

Last edited by brunos; Oct 24, 2019 at 1:47 pm Reason: Silly mistake about 24h rather than 48h
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by neofung
QR should issue a boarding pass to you in the airport of first departure and you do not need to approach the transfer desk in Hong Kong. You can go straight to transit desk.
on the contrary, QR could not through check me to CX at CDG. Please budget enough buffer.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by brunos
But OLCI only opens 24h before KA departure. But you can also do it on your mobile phone in DOH.
OLCI opens 48 hours before CX/KA flights.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
OLCI opens 48 hours before CX/KA flights.
Indeed. I wanted to type 2 days and sillily ended up with 24h rather than 48h.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
on the contrary, QR could not through check me to CX at CDG. Please budget enough buffer.
Did they state the reason?
I tried HKG DOH BRU LHR FRA , where BRU LHR FRA was with BA, check through no problem
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just a quick note to close this one out.

No problem interlining baggage from QR to KA. Check in agent at ARN issued boarding passes for all 3 flights, including the KA one.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.