Search

New A330 configuration (33J)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
New A330 configuration (33J)

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...a330/a330.html

Was browsing seat map on the CX website and noticed a new A330 configuration with J28 (Flat bed) and Y265. Does anyone have more details on which aircraft registry and when this new configuration will be launched. Will it replace A33E or A33P?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
33E without the back J cabin?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Hard to tell unless someone has a reg number.
I have a flight on this type coming up on Xmas. Guess by then we would have unraveled the mystery.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
33E without the back J cabin?
Yes this. Looks like premium sales are going down in certain markets.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:14 pm

Can anyone find this configuration when booking so that we could speculate where will this configuration fly to?
If it is flying short haul only, maybe it will completely replace the 33P configuration as there will be very few 33P left. If that’s true there only 777-300 will be left with the short haul J seat. They might be trying to replace old short haul J Seat with long haul business so as to minimise the problem of equipment lottery, which I think is a great decision.
If it is also flying to medium haul destinations like to India and Australia it should be replacing the 33E and 33K. What made them to use lower J config, is the J class demand decreasing?

I also wonder where will 33J frames come from.
If they are from 33E/K configurations with some J and PEY seats replace by extra economy seat? If so are those 33E/K to be replaced with A350 on their previous routes like Australia? That would mean extra Y seat so will they be using new ones?
If they are from the remaining 33P but with some Y seat and all regional J seat replaced by long haul flat bed J Seat. where are those J seat coming from, will it be the same design as typical A330 or will they use something new similar to those of A350?

Anyone have other details so we don’t have to speculate?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
No way Australia. Premium seats were and still are hard to get

India and ME maybe
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
The 330 is the aircraft in the fleet best suited for short haul given the arrival of the 350 and move to 777 on the South Asia routes. Expect to see the dwindling number of 330s in the fleet deployed to short haul where the new configuration makes sense.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Actually, this was planned long before this year, but as for most things at CX, it just took a bit of time to materialize...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

The 33J is largely replacing the 33K configs, probably as the 330s get shifted off Australia with the loss of SYD 111/110 and CNS.

LAD/LAE/LAF/LAK/LAL/LAP/LAQ/LBJ
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
I suspect they are the replacement for the short haul fleet as quite a number of 330 need to be retired/transferred to KA. Removing the back J cabin from long haul 330, which are being replaced by 77W and 350, should be the fast and easy option.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think it is wishful thinking that these new config planes will be used on regional routes. Im
pretty sure they will be used on the existing routes that have flat bed without premium economy ie India and Middle East.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
I think it is wishful thinking that these new config planes will be used on regional routes. Im
pretty sure they will be used on the existing routes that have flat bed without premium economy ie India and Middle East.
I agree, this makes fleet deployment even more flexible.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Maybe they reconfig from 33Ps....more demand for flat beds
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Maybe they reconfig from 33Ps....more demand for flat beds
Would be great if CX finally decides to gradually drop those regional J seats... Really can't wait to see the new regional J coming with KA's new A321neo...
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:41 pm

Can they get rid of the 773’s RJ seats ? Lol so SCMP reported on this new config https://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-class-tickets somewhere along the article and says it will serve Middle East and India

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.