Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
Cancelled SEA-HKG

Looks like monday night SEA-HKG aren't being offered anymore?
Had a booking in (E) for SEA-HKG on 11/11 @ 00:05 but it was cancelled and rebooked to 11/10 @ 00:05.

Any recourse other than refund? Considering I need will be in HKG a day earlier now... refund isn't much use as there aren't any other directs from SEA to HKG. Other flight options are 20+ hours.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Curious about loads. We got in on last years NYE special fare and did SGN-SEA since we live in Seattle and love Saigon. We have the mini cabin to ourselves one way and the entire cabin is sparsely populated. The return SEA-HKG is pretty well populated, not surprising for a holiday flight. I just wonder how they will do outside holidays.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
Curious about loads. We got in on last years NYE special fare and did SGN-SEA since we live in Seattle and love Saigon. We have the mini cabin to ourselves one way and the entire cabin is sparsely populated. The return SEA-HKG is pretty well populated, not surprising for a holiday flight. I just wonder how they will do outside holidays.
DL axed their SEA-HKG for a reason.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:41 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by overlord207
Looks like monday night SEA-HKG aren't being offered anymore?
Had a booking in (E) for SEA-HKG on 11/11 @ 00:05 but it was cancelled and rebooked to 11/10 @ 00:05.

Any recourse other than refund? Considering I need will be in HKG a day earlier now... refund isn't much use as there aren't any other directs from SEA to HKG. Other flight options are 20+ hours.
Can you ask to be moved to one of the YVR flights? They might put you an Alaska flight to YVR but even if they don't it's not that far away.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bpe
Can you ask to be moved to one of the YVR flights?
I believe it is more practical to ask for SEA-SFO/LAX-HKG instead.

CX could face more problem with a transit at YVR.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:35 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by garykung
I believe it is more practical to ask for SEA-SFO/LAX-HKG instead.

CX could face more problem with a transit at YVR.
If rebooked properly and if OP doesn't need a visa for Canada (US citizen/PR, HK citizen, or many others) I don't see how transit at YVR is a problem. SFO or LAX will just add a few more hours travel time.

If you call and ask, any of these options are probably fine, but look up the specific flights you prefer before calling, especially if the timing of the flights matters to you.
BearX220 and moondog like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bpe
If rebooked properly and if OP doesn't need a visa for Canada (US citizen/PR, HK citizen, or many others) I don't see how transit at YVR is a problem. SFO or LAX will just add a few more hours travel time.
Yes, the chance for a problem for YVR is slim, but not none. SFO/LAX is none.

So as a risk management perspective, SFO/LAX is a more reasonable alternative than YVR, especially given either SFO/LAX capacity is more than YVR.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So as a risk management perspective, SFO/LAX is a more reasonable alternative than YVR, especially given either SFO/LAX capacity is more than YVR.
I'd push for YVR, and expect to get it if I was the OP. I doubt the logistics are any more complex than SFO or LAX, but even if they are, that's not the passenger's problem to sort out.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

I’ve been flying CX out of YVR or SFO as a SEA based flyer for 15 years and changed back and forth between the two repeatedly. YVR has always been my preference because if the AS SEA-YVR feeder is cancelled I can just hop in the car and drive. There is no difference between the 2 from a risk perspective, the distinction you are trying to articulate doesn't exist.
moondog and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It is up to you to be proactive and to put together a list of options, including flight numbers and to call CX. CX may not be willing or able to do some of them, so it is best to list them in order of your preference and work through the list.

Unless you have Canadian entry problems, something which you would presumably know, if YVR is the better service, go for it. CX is highly unlikely to undertake a risk analysis if there were a risk. Which there is not an appreciable one.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YVR has always been my preference because if the AS SEA-YVR feeder is cancelled I can just hop in the car and drive.
That's actually different from this scenario. You are already booked into YVR-HKG. You simply skipped a leg with prior approval.

There is no difference between the 2 from a risk perspective, the distinction you are trying to articulate doesn't exist.
Not true at all.

There is no guarantee that a passenger can enter/transit in Canada unless you are Canadian citizen/PR. Even the chance of such occurrence is small (maybe less than 1%), still in CX's perspective, SFO/LAX poses absolutely no such risk as the passenger no longer deals with CBSA.

One more thing - cost-wise, it is cheaper to rebook with SFO/LAX than YVR.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:16 pm

One more thing - cost-wise, it is cheaper to rebook with SFO/LAX than YVR.
Since the OP didn't cancel the sea-hkg flight, cost is of no concern to him.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Since the OP didn't cancel the sea-hkg flight, cost is of no concern to him.
I mean to the airline.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:19 pm

I mean to the airline.
Who cares?
bpe likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CX may take cost into account. But, in any alternative short of a 24-hour delay, it will wind up paying something (not much) to some other carrier. That, however, is not a risk issue and it is not likely appreciably more or less as between YVR and SFO/LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.