Wiki Posts
Search

CX880 - any LAX experts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
CX880 - any LAX experts

I will be arriving into LAX on this flight with a 120 minute connection to an AA flight in T4 with carry on only.

Assuming I don’t have a boarding card for the AA leg as separate bookings, can I clear immigration when I land (non-US passport) and stay airside and enjoy the short walk to T4 (ie is there a re-check in desk air side?) or will I have to exit TBI completely and walk over to T4 to check in from scratch?

Thanks for any insight!

Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You need to go landside. From TBIT, there is a connector doorway in the arrivals section - right hand side of the arrivals hall, as you look towards the road. However, this is not always open and I don't think it's documented which hours it is open. If the door is closed, you'll need to walk to T4 which isn't far.

For AA, you can probably do mobile check-in since you don't have a check-in bag, so you won't have to visit a check-in counter.

Also, if you did have a check-in bag, CX would probably do your AA check-in for you even on separate tickets, but you would have to collect your bag in LAX anyway and bag drop it on your way to T4.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much very helpful. So basically when landing I am heading for immigration, baggage and customs as though I am leaving the airport. Given I have no bag and even having to go landside 120 mins should be fine given the proximity of the terminals?
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by sxc
You need to go landside. From TBIT, there is a connector doorway in the arrivals section - right hand side of the arrivals hall, as you look towards the road. However, this is not always open and I don't think it's documented which hours it is open. If the door is closed, you'll need to walk to T4 which isn't far.
The connector is typically closed when CX880 lands, but I agree going going outside, upstairs and walking to T4 takes very little time.
E55 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Once you are clear of customs, it will take 5 minutes to walk between terminals. I don't know if 120 mins is going to be sufficient as it depends on how long it takes you to clear immigration - and at the wrong time of day, this can take some time...
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Once you are clear of customs, it will take 5 minutes to walk between terminals. I don't know if 120 mins is going to be sufficient as it depends on how long it takes you to clear immigration - and at the wrong time of day, this can take some time...
Many thanks - no idea how many flights come in at 10pm but I recall they have the passport reading machines there these days so much quicker than the old manual checking only. If I miss my connection the next flight is 8 hours later, hence my concern!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by Conkers
Many thanks - no idea how many flights come in at 10pm but I recall they have the passport reading machines there these days so much quicker than the old manual checking only. If I miss my connection the next flight is 8 hours later, hence my concern!
You'll definitely want to move fast. There is no airside transit in US which is a real problem.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
You'll definitely want to move fast. There is no airside transit in US which is a real problem.
Thanks. Yes I will! The two potential bottlenecks are immigration at TBI and then security at T4.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpeso8
The connector is typically closed when CX880 lands, but I agree going going outside, upstairs and walking to T4 takes very little time.
Thank you so head up to departure level and head out onto street and turn right?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Thanks. Yes I will! The two potential bottlenecks are immigration at TBI and then security at T4.
1.) Do you have Global Entry and Pre-Check? 2.) Are you a US Citizen? 3.) Where is your final destination?

If #1 = "Yes", you will be totally fine provided your CX flight is on time. Even if you're 30 minutes late, I'd say you'll be fine, and 50 minutes late still probably okay.

If #2 = "Yes" but #1 = "No", you will most likely be fine but not guaranteed. To be a nice guy and add to your jitters , it took my (American citizen, LA-based) relatives over an hour to clear immigration and customs in late August arriving in the afternoon. I don't think the electronic scanners are the panacea you assume because IIRC you still have to engage with an agent. My relatives just said the arrivals hall was packed. My parents sat outside in traffic waiting to pick them all up. Unfortunately, the intl "connecting" process in America is still just very third world and you can't guarantee making this without Global Entry. But you'll most likely be fine.

If #2 = "No", you should be okay, but the odds go down if the immigration hall is packed with non-Americans. I haven't taken CX880 lately so I can't comment. But I have horror memories from a few years ago when the customs hall was packed deep.

Note you have two possibilities to get delayed at LAX: Immigration and customs. For whatever reason the TBIT customs hall can turn into hell from time to time. Without Global Entry, you could be in a 15-20 minute customs line after making it through immigration.

If #3 = "A place a lot of other airlines fly to" and it's not a big deal for you to shell out a bit more money, I'd just ditch your AA segment and buy a ticket on the spot, or buy a flexible ticket in advance. I used to do this frequently to Southwest destinations in Nevada and Arizona, especially in the days before Global Entry when it wasn't too weird to wait an hour at the LAX Tom Bradley Jail for immigration. I'd land on CX, walk over to Southwest or American or whoever had the next flight with tickets, buy and fly. This way I didn't have any of the stress worrying will I make it?!? Once Global Entry came along, this solved the whole problem.

To summarize, with Global Entry you're fine unless your flight is delayed. And CX880 doesn't do the remote gate shenanigan, which totally sux. That special treatment is usually reserved for CX882.

Despite all the concerns, I still think you should be okay even if you're a non-American, non-Global Entry
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thank you so head up to departure level and head out onto street and turn right?
Yes. When you walk out the door, go right and follow the sidewalk. T4 is the next building, starting right after the sidewalk curves. It will be on your right as you're walking. The LAX terminals are arranged in a U shape, with TBIT in the bottom of the U.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed responses. I have British passport with ESTA pre-clearance. Not global entry nor pre-check Miami final destination. I never bothered with global entry as most times I have been to the US in recent years it has not been too bad getting through immigration and customs. It is the same reservation with the travel agent but for some reason the AA legs are not showing online on CX site. Maybe CX will issue a boarding card for the LAX-MIA leg even though no check in luggage.

Really appreciate all all the input guys thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

I have APEC card does that help?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should try to do OLCI for the AA flight and either print the boarding pass or save it to your phone, preferably both.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should try to do OLCI for the AA flight and either print the boarding pass or save it to your phone, preferably both.
Thanks! AA online is 24 hours before departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.