Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific General Strike 2-3rd Sept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Taiwan is a country.

About time the staff faced up to these clowns.

Tell me Tom, do employers ever approve of employee strikes? Hardly a convincing argument.

flubber, nastypenman, wkc and 2 others like this.

Last edited by sxc; Aug 29, 2019 at 11:01 pm Reason: FT Rule 12
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Director People? What kind of job title is that? Anyway, since when does organizations "approve" strikes? Threats of breach of contract? Looks like the sinofication of Cathay is faster than I thought.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The question is what proportion of CX staff would have to strike, and hence be fired, for the airline to collapse overnight? I guess it would only take a few thousand, and many, many more than that have taken part in the protests previously.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am not sure they need to collapse, but lets say 800 people strike. Can they fire 800 people and operate the network? 1200?
Somewhere there is number that if they fire that many they can't operate, but if they keep them Winnie the Poo will act against CX.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What is the law in HK regarding strikes?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
What is the law in HK regarding strikes?

Not legal.

Hong Kong has few if any protective labour laws.

That said, between losing my rights and freedoms as a citizen or a average job with a tyrannical employer, I’d throw my lot in with protestors. There will be a cost to winning this, like all battles. A job is pretty low payment.

Note this a General strike for ALL Hong Kong workers, not just CX.
flubber likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
just go on strike, and be fired. if flighte cancelled so be it, deterrent effect will preserve other cabin crew from doing same and operation be preserved. a short term pain for long term gain. remember about 15 or so years ago group of pilots did work to rule and they lost their job, pension, housing benefits... some of those asked to be reinstated with no luck. since then never saw pilots do the same.

by all means i have no politial view on this. its their choice to express what they want. But as professionals, they have professional duties to uphold, or risk loosing their job.. so be it
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

The Flight Attendants' Union has previously shown that it has a lot more balls than the pilots, so I think there's a not insignificant chance of CX's bluff being called here. If say, 50% of CX's cabin crew go on strike and attend protests then the airline is completely dead and buried if it fires all of them. They can't magic several thousand trained and qualified flight attendants out of thin air!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Not legal.

Hong Kong has few if any protective labour laws.
Just to be clear about this. I agree that employee protection is weak in HK relative to other advanced economies but strikes are permitted.

This action is not protected by law because it does not meet the the definition of a strike. As I understand it, a strike in HK must relate to a matter between the employer and employee group. As this is an action against the government, rather than the employer, it is not a strike under HK law.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Well OK, but then it seems to me that CX employees could reasonably go on strike over the fact that their employer is attempting to impose conditions of employment which go against the Basic Law and the Bill of Rights Ordinance (both of which allow freedom of expression, political belief and assembly).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:00 am

How are other private firms dealing with this ? The HSBC's, Stan Chart's, etc, etc ? Are they expecting their staff will be striking as well ?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Doh. Flights booked on CX in and out of HK on Sep 1 and 3. Looks like I may have a longer stay
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
How are other private firms dealing with this ? The HSBC's, Stan Chart's, etc, etc ? Are they expecting their staff will be striking as well ?

i work at a a financial services firm and life is normal, we have contiengency to deal with protest etc.

we have highest ethical standard. for finance professional its a common sense that even during outside your work hours, what we say as an individual can be taken as reprsentative of the employer thus we have strict social media policy concerning what we say outside of work. all these CX ppl and general public expressing their view on infringement of "freedom of expression bla bla bla"... all i can say is, well, welcome to reality and the real world.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended

The above is of course bollocks because thousands of "financial professionals" have taken part, and will continue to take part in the protests.

Here is a report of one finance-sector-specific flash protest: https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/0...flash-protest/

Here are lawyers doing something similar: https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/0...kong-protests/

Those who continue to sit in their ivory towers and deny reality may be in for a bit of a shock soon.

Last edited by christep; Aug 30, 2019 at 7:40 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
i work at a a financial services firm and life is normal, we have contiengency to deal with protest etc.

we have highest ethical standard. for finance professional its a common sense that even during outside your work hours, what we say as an individual can be taken as reprsentative of the employer thus we have strict social media policy concerning what we say outside of work. all these CX ppl and general public expressing their view on infringement of "freedom of expression bla bla bla"... all i can say is, well, welcome to reality and the real world.
It's funny how the alleged leader of the free world is NOT held up to this standard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.