Wiki Posts
Search

Loyalty with CX - pays off

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Loyalty with CX - pays off

Took a flight from HK to CTU yesterday and was taken by surprise. Was greeted at the boarding gate in Hong Kong by someone from Marco Polo introducing herself and thanking me for my loyalty & she offered me some bookable upgrades for my loyalty. She followed up later on with this email:

Great pleasure to meet you this morning at boarding gate before you start your day trip to Chengdu.
We are honor with your support since 1999 and having flown over X.X million miles with us.
As mentioned, we would like to present 04 bookable upgrades for Mr XXXX as additional courtesy.
I have asked my team to speed up the bookable upgrade issuance process and assist with the application.
Please allow them some moment and they will return to you in the soonest time.

I was truly surprised by this gesture and it really made me feel special. Loyalty does pay off it seems (I have been diamond continuously since 2001). Now only if they would bring back some kind of Lifetime status...

Very pleasant surprise indeed.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:15 pm

18 consecutive years of Diamond membership! This was the least they could do. You should consider spreading some miles to AA / BA, so that you can secure lifetime status for yourself.
flubber, Unionruler and argonath like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:54 pm

That was good for you and well deserved.
Cathay has been taking its loyal passengers for granted, many including myself have reduced their loyalty and switched travel to other carriers and found them to be better, now it finds itself in a crisis and the airline's short-minded approach to loyalty and customer experience in recent years is coming back to haunt it. Right now the airline needs all those high-paying HKG loyalists it has been price gouging and whose Marco Polo benefits it has been in essence reducing. Too late!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
suspect more.of these to.come. in last economic turmoil they have renewed everyones status or made arrangements to keep members happy. i cant remember exactly when and what was offered... and in current climate i am certain CX is doing is best to keep you happy.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
My Diamond status definitely helped me this week. My flight was cancelled due to the airport closure (it was the last flight cancelled before flights resumed) and they rebooked me on the following day (same flight) - which was a rather silly thing to do. I tried to get onto an earlier flight by ringing up but no joy. So I physically went to the airport and spoke to the First Class check-in and they found me a seat on the first plane out (about 4 hours after I was checking in or 2 hours later than my original departure). By the time I was taking off, the check-in was over-run by protestors again.... Without my Diamond status, no chance of getting a seat.
wyskevin and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
I had my 30 year anniversary last year having been diamond for about 28 years.I always fly BIZZO. I received an email congratulating me. An acquaintance in Manila with Silver membership received a box of chocolates for a regular anniversary. Shows how they value long term loyalty if you are based in HK. (I do however have the life time benefit. Ha ha. )
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TomYoung
I had my 30 year anniversary last year having been diamond for about 28 years.I always fly BIZZO. I received an email congratulating me. An acquaintance in Manila with Silver membership received a box of chocolates for a regular anniversary. Shows how they value long term loyalty if you are based in HK. (I do however have the life time benefit. Ha ha. )
You need to fly on the exact anniversary date to get anything from my understanding.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
You need to fly on the exact anniversary date to get anything from my understanding.
Actually, according to many sources on FT it just applies to the next flight after your anniversary.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CX HK
Actually, according to many sources on FT it just applies to the next flight after your anniversary.
My anniversary was July 4, flew on July 18...nada.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I got the same as the OP a few months ago as well. Buggy, similar statements, bookable upgrades added to account. Nice gesture indeed.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by fakecd
suspect more.of these to.come. in last economic turmoil they have renewed everyones status or made arrangements to keep members happy. i cant remember exactly when and what was offered... and in current climate i am certain CX is doing is best to keep you happy.
During SARS they extended everyone's status by a year.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by TomYoung
An acquaintance in Manila with Silver membership received a box of chocolates for a regular anniversary.
I've been SL and GO continuously since 2008 and never received anything!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Cathay has always been good to their Diamonds, although what the OP got was definitely awesome and unheard of. But I have realized I can fly C class at half price with other airlines and I can do away with the greeting at gate and bookable upgrades, and pleasantly surprised other airline's C class hardware and services are not as bad as I thought, especially East Asian flights, Cathay's regional C is still a ripped-off (unless one uses bookable upgrades...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.