Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:23 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by infinitium
Sorry, duplicate post... anyone here stuck in Departures or @ HKIA, waiting for a flight out?
Airside, yes.
infinitium likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SekiM

I see u have edited your response by removing the bit where you have said you will (rightfully) adjust your self proclaimed title. Rest assured I will first being this to the attention of Oriental Daily who will then verify with CX. It is unfortunately misleading that whatever answers or responses you purport to give to travellers and CX customers (perhaps in distress today) will be mistakenly taken as an official response by CX which is both untrue and unacceptable
You are getting ridiculous. Clearly you have no familiarity with FT board(just a few posts).
SXC is listed as "Moderator" on the main Cathay forum page.
The title "Cathay Pacific Moderator" is fully legit.
Sure, one could also use "Moderator of Cathay Pacific and Marco Polo board on Flyer Talk forum" or even lengthier titles.

When you are not used to a forum, you should refrain from such silly remarks, trying to give lessons to everyone.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by Taipei
Fly out of TPE, more options. Or our of KHH via another transfer point, such as KHH-NRT-LHR
She just spoke with Cathay. All flights today and tomorrow can be changed free of charge. The issue is flights tomorrow and day after have massive waiting lists. So suggestion was she stay put on her flight for now, and see how it pans out tomorrow.

Unfortunately getting from KHH to any other airport is a bit of a hassle for her (luggage plus children) so it will be better for her to stay put until have some sort of confirmed flights to HKG then LHR.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold

I see u have edited your response by removing the bit where you have said you will (rightfully) adjust your self proclaimed title. Rest assured I will first being this to the attention of Oriental Daily who will then verify with CX. It is unfortunately misleading that whatever answers or responses you purport to give to travellers and CX customers (perhaps in distress today) will be mistakenly taken as an official response by CX which is both untrue and unacceptable
Could you please also call the local police and also inform interpol just to be sure. Maybe tip off to wikileaks too?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum

Are you holding any official position with CX? If not then you cannot hold yourself out as “Cathay Pacific Moderator” which is mispresenting. You should have called yourself the CX board Moderator like the moderators in BA forum do. I am writing to CX directly to clarify.
This comment is at the same time hilarious as well as troubling. Who would genuinely think that an airline directly moderates its own Flyertalk board?!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
No I do not hold any official position with CX. Please feel free to contact CX to confirm. I have used this moniker for years without concern, and I think it is clear within the FlyerTalk world what a moderator means here.
I am not on the CXMP board much nowadays (I have temporarily defected to BAEC until I get my lifetime Emerald) but just a quick thank you for spending time moderating this board as well as deleting all the unverified news and political posts so that we can leave this thread as a useful site for travellers only in relation to the current disruptions.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...bly-12Aug.html

Latest update: 13 Aug 2019 16:45 HKT (GMT+8)

Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon have been informed by the Airport Authority in Hong Kong that all check-in has been suspended as a result of the public assembly at Hong Kong International Airport, which is ongoing. There is potential for further flight disruptions at short notice.Customers are therefore encouraged to postpone non-essential travel from Hong Kong on Tuesday 13 August and Wednesday 14 August and should not proceed to the airport.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Too much travel
This comment is at the same time hilarious as well as troubling. Who would genuinely think that an airline directly moderates its own Flyertalk board?!
Well, actually some brands have indeed had official representatives on FT forums in the past (no idea if it is still true), although I can't recall if they also have/had moderator powers, so I can see the importance of the distinction between representatives of the brand and random FT people who have been appointed as moderators.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Multiple reports that Cathay Pacific has suspended all check-ins again today at HKG. (One source:
)
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: CX MPC
All flights cancelled

Multiple reports that Airport Authority has just announced cancellation of all further flights in and out of Hong Kong today.

Haven't seen the official announcement confirming this yet though.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christep
Well, actually some brands have indeed had official representatives on FT forums in the past (no idea if it is still true), although I can't recall if they also have/had moderator powers, so I can see the importance of the distinction between representatives of the brand and random FT people who have been appointed as moderators.
I think Hilton is one such brand. But their representatives have a title stating they're an "ambassador". It goes without saying moderators and ambassadors are clearly two different things.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by dannyhk
Multiple reports that Airport Authority has just announced cancellation of all further flights in and out of Hong Kong today.

Haven't seen the official announcement confirming this yet though.
Confirmed. Announcements at airport advising all passengers to leave the terminal building as soon as possible.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:32 am
wkc

OneWorldLoyalist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:50 am

I know we're currently focused on immediate term travel disruptions, but spare a thought for what this means for HKG procedures in the longer term.

We'll end up with an "India-style" airport procedure where members of the public are not allowed into the terminal building unless they have a confirmed flight ticket and matching passport. There'll be Avseco or other private security personnel (not police) to check tickets and passports at Hong Kong, Kowloon and Tsing Yi stations, and also at all upper and lower level entrances to the terminal buildings (there are probably too many entrances so they'll seal some entirely) and the walkway from the Regal.

No more family & friends seeing off travellers. No meet-and-greet allowed at the arrival hall. Suspension of Airport Express services to Expo (people will have to make do with a shuttle bus from Tung Chung station).

All inconvenient, but at least not a patch on what's going on now.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:51 am

Confusion over extent of flight cancellations

Well this is getting weird. Airport Authority now appears to be refuting its own announcements in the terminal that all remaining flights today are cancelled. SCMP journalist Danny Lee just posted this on Twitter (The "earlier statement" refers to the one already posted in this thread):

CONFUSING: AIRPORT AUTHORITY SAYS TANNOY/BROADCAST ANNOUNCEMENT OF “ALL FLIGHTS CANCELLED” IS WRONG. FLIGHTS CONTINUING
@SCMPNews
. EARLIER STATEMENT IS CORRECT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.