Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Does this mean that the outbound flights now are going to be half empty if they only carry transit passengers?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Freebird
The protesters were peaceful, nor were they trying to disturb the check-in process or harass passengers. There was no need to close down the check in counters, which I would classify as an overreaction (also Cathay dictating what their staff do outside of their job (in the area of freedom of political expression) in an internal memo). In anyway, I support their fight for freedom and condemn the police brutality.
Sadly, I doubt this will end well.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...l-airport-left

How can they get sympathy if international passengers will be greeted at the airport like this?

Earlier in the day, travellers arrived at the airport blissfully unaware of the chaos they were about to encounter: angry protesters determined to gridlock the airport to make their point heard.

Stepping off the Airport Express and into the airport’s main terminal, travellers were met by a sea of angry black-shirted protesters, determined to make themselves heard to a global audience.

Inside the terminal, almost every inch of floor space in the departure and arrival hall was overrun, with protesters chanting “shame on rogue cops!” and “stand with Hong Kong, fight for freedom”.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Originally Posted by sxc

In this case, I don’t think you can take out insurance now and be covered for losses arising from this current commotion as it’s a pre-existing situation. But I am not certain.

The fact that you have redeemed using QR points for a EK flight doesn’t affect your insurance policy. You need to look at the wording of the policy to see what is covered.
On the insurance policy it clearly states that the following is a major exclusion:

War (whether declared or not) or any act thereof, invasion or civil war including riot and civil commotion.
戰爭(無論宣戰與否)及一切相關行為、入侵或內戰,包括動亂及國民起義。

Would this mean that they won't cover it, as these days it's been classified as a riot?

Originally Posted by sxc
As to who to contact if you have a problem, you might want to ask the EK or QR forum. But I think that you need to contact who issued your ticket which would be QR unless you were at the airport.
I called EK they said that I need to contact QR as I booked with QR. The latter is simply not picking up as they are likely dealing with the current cancellations.
LopsidedBunny21 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ashsong
War (whether declared or not) or any act thereof, invasion or civil war including riot and civil commotion.
The "civil commotion" loophole is a pretty standard feature of travel insurance and may work against many policyholders in transit who are hoping for relief in this case.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:16 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/h...hnk/index.html

Give a mouse a piece of cheese and he takes the whole darn Island, this is not going well and they really have gone out of control and will now take down the whole friggen world
ashsong likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:50 am

Seem like that the students are going to the airport again at 1pm on 13/8.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
I hope that the airport resumes normal operations soon.

I hope that protestors and airport staff get home safe.

I hope that the over-worked policemen catch some much needed rest.

Am I hoping for too much... or should I be resented by any specific groups.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ashsong
Without touching sensitive politics aspect:

What I do not understand is, why would protesters sitting at arrival hall area interfere with airport operations. They are not on the runways. Why does the airport has to be shut down?

I am sure you are still able to walk to checkin area if you need to travel, or go through security clearance.
(Normally a lurker here)

Actually it is a capacity issue. The airport is likely not designed to handle huge amounts of people all at the same time (people in motion is a different story). When you have large gatherings, conditions can change. Imagine if there were 5,000 people in the arrival hall and gunshots were heard or tear gas was deployed. Quite likely a stampede would start and many people could get hurt.

This is also not counting (as has been mentioned before) living conditions (eg, washrooms) and food/water services. Evacuating the building is the safest choice the administrators could make.
nancypants and ashsong like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Does this mean that the outbound flights now are going to be half empty if they only carry transit passengers?
a few long haul evening flights are departing despite being mentioned as cancelled on HKIA website. For example BA32 departed 30min late (was scheduled at 23:15). BA 28 also scheduled to depart. Wonder if any HK pax have been able to check in.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by brunos

a few long haul evening flights are departing despite being mentioned as cancelled on HKIA website. For example BA32 departed 30min late (was scheduled at 23:15). BA 28 also scheduled to depart. Wonder if any HK pax have been able to check in.
from the various reports, the check in counters have no staffs n are closed. So guess these flights flown back empty?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Although a wavier has been issued (at 2300hrs HKT!), there is no free re-routes on other carriers (to bypass HKG) unless flight cancelled/misconnected. I thought at this time CX would want to prevent people from going through HKG, but no.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by BearX220
The "civil commotion" loophole is a pretty standard feature of travel insurance and may work against many policyholders in transit who are hoping for relief in this case.
Really depends on the insurer in question, mine has that standard loophole but they also allow you to pay an extra fee for travel disruption cover which does indeed include civil commotion and/or civil disorder.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:24 am

Woah that sounds really bad!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

from the various reports, the check in counters have no staffs n are closed. So guess these flights flown back empty?
On the BA board they report that BA 32 was at about 20% capacity on departure, with only passengers who had checked in early or were in transit.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by wrp96
On the BA board they report that BA 32 was at about 20% capacity on departure, with only passengers who had checked in early or were in transit.
Would be lucky if you were on that flight tonight. Flat beds for everyone XD
nwflyboy and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.