Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MIKEM
She has been a longtime Cathay flier - although inactive for the past five years
You could be flying CX for 30+ years but if you don't have any status...it won't really mean a thing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Agree.. Nothing to do with Cathay.

No one decisions IRROPs for every passenger on every flight with no foreseeable end.

Anyone turning up to HKIA is being wishfully ignorant.
I think there are some were canceled flights because of aircraft rotation. Several MNL flights got cancelled already.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Agree.. Nothing to do with Cathay.
Yes, nothing at all. She cancelled her flight - and 160+ other flights - stranded herself at the airport, and made sure there were no agents available for rebooking. Yet, half way around the world I was able to get her on another airline in the AM with one phone call. Maybe Cathay should have me handle their situation
Silver Fox and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
You could be flying CX for 30+ years but if you don't have any status...it won't really mean a thing.
True that!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Yes, nothing at all. She cancelled her flight - and 160+ other flights - stranded herself at the airport, and made sure there were no agents available for rebooking. Yet, half way around the world I was able to get her on another airline in the AM with one phone call. Maybe Cathay should have me handle their situation

MIkeM.. I HATE Cathay/ Swire Princess/Boards and have been around HK for some time.
I would love to meet any of them in a dark alley, or in the WC at Upper House and have a quiet word.
Sometimes I day dream about it.

Reality is that as a group operating over a 1000 flights a day (X 220 seats per if we average in A320's)..
Would equate to 220,000 people rebooked (per day).

That capacity doesn't exist in any industry; it averages 152 rebooking a minute/ 24 hrs a day.
Not humanly possible.
brunos, percysmith, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
UA was lucky. At this moment, except GUM-HKG, UA's flights are evening arrival and morning departure. So the operation suspension did not heavily impact UA's HKG ops (only GUM-HKG-GUM was cancelled yesterday). On the other hand, all but several CX flights are HKG based. With the operation suspension, it should be chaotic because the lack of capacity.

If the same thing happens in SFO, UA would suffer similar problems.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:32 pm

Can anyone explain why so many (disproportionately) Cathay flights are cancelled today - Tuesday? Is it due to inadequate ground staff? Not enough crew? Planes aren't in HK?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Carberry
Can anyone explain why so many (disproportionately) Cathay flights are cancelled today - Tuesday? Is it due to inadequate ground staff? Not enough crew? Planes aren't in HK?
It could also because of some airplanes being stuck in outports.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:38 pm

Many passengers in HK and Asia impacted by the closure of the airport. There are some contact centers outside of HKmay beh maybe the reason why you were able to talk to someone quickly.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:05 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Reality is that as a group operating over a 1000 flights a day (X 220 seats per if we average in A320's)..
Would equate to 220,000 people rebooked (per day).

That capacity doesn't exist in any industry; it averages 152 rebooking a minute/ 24 hrs a day.
Not humanly possible.
I wonder how Vera is coping today? Has anyone even experienced a rebooking using this?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...3845-vera.html

https://www.cathaypacific.com/vera/#/en_HK/welcome
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sxc
I wonder how Vera is coping today? Has anyone even experienced a rebooking using this?

Good luck with that given how good CX's IT really is...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by SekiM

I see u have edited your response by removing the bit where you have said you will (rightfully) adjust your self proclaimed title. Rest assured I will first being this to the attention of Oriental Daily who will then verify with CX. It is unfortunately misleading that whatever answers or responses you purport to give to travellers and CX customers (perhaps in distress today) will be mistakenly taken as an official response by CX which is both untrue and unacceptable
This is a travel board.
Anyone with sense will know this is not official CX message board.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:27 pm

can you show us first your warrant card as CX traveller/customer first before further trolling.

Originally Posted by SekiM

I see u have edited your response by removing the bit where you have said you will (rightfully) adjust your self proclaimed title. Rest assured I will first being this to the attention of Oriental Daily who will then verify with CX. It is unfortunately misleading that whatever answers or responses you purport to give to travellers and CX customers (perhaps in distress today) will be mistakenly taken as an official response by CX which is both untrue and unacceptable
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by sxc

I hadn't come across this before, so I just had to try, even though my flying wasn't affected. Vera seems wholly incapable of handling rebookings, and only gives out flight status information. Picture below about sums up the functionality.

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:53 pm

A colleague of mine just arrived into HKIA from another flight 30m ago.
He says there was no issue. A few protesters at Arrivals, but no huge crowds, unlike yest'd. Have to fly thru HKG this weekend via transit.. keeping all digits crossed for 0 disruptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.