Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Missing connection (to torronto yyz) due to immigration in vancouver Yyr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:05 pm
pre
Original Poster

Immediate response will help me.

Hello I'm having flight on 25 this month from Hyd - Hkg - Yvr - Yyz with two stops all on single itinerary. I have 2h layover time in Vancouver where I have to complete my immigration as it is the POE in canada to my destination toronto.

If I couldn't complete the immigration within the layover time of 2 hours, & I will miss the domestic connection flight to yyz , will Cathay rebook or arrange the next flight ticket to me.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
2 hours is plenty of time to clear immigration and get to your next flight.

Here's a guide that may give you some further info

Passenger Guides YVR
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pre
If I couldn't complete the immigration within the layover time of 2 hours, & I will miss the domestic connection flight to yyz , will Cathay rebook or arrange the next flight ticket to me.
Assume no.

Because immigration and customs formality falls outside airline's control. Any airlines are within their rights not to do anything. While generally airlines will try to work something out, it is not a guarantee, as it is within their discretion.

What you should do is to see if you can change your YVR-YYZ flight or book HKG-YYZ nonstop if still possible.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
They would book you on the next flight if the problem is that you were delayed in reaching Vancouver. I would not worry about this at all. Vancouver airport is fairly efficient.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that "single itinerary" means "single ticket" CX is only obligated to rebook you if it causes the misconnect. Your onwards carrier (AC?) will likely accommodate you, but you cannot be assured of that.

If you are a Canadian national, two hours should be plenty of time. If you are not and if you have any non-routine immigration issues, this is very little time.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Entered Canada through Vancouver a few months back. Compared to the USA, it was a dream. Took perhaps 10 minutes. My relatives arrived a couple of hours later and it was more busy. Took them perhaps 20 minutes. None of us have Canadian passports. It was all very easy. I wouldn't worry.

(My relatives had earlier transited through San Francisco where immigration took 3 hours and they missed their flight. They were put in the next one without an issue, except for it being much later).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
I cleared in 4 minutes off CX888 the other day.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
There's an understanding that passengers delayed due to immigration / customs will be rebooked free of charge on the next available flight, by the Canadian carrier, not CX.

And that's my personal experience as well. Even the customs officer told me so after an extended "special treatment" I received one time.
PTahCha likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:46 pm

I would assume the yvr-yyz will be on AC.

AC has 15+ flights daily from YVR to YYZ and it's almost like a shuttle service. AC will put you on the next one if you miss your originally booked flight. Just talk to the connection desk after you have cleared immigration and customs.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
CX’s arrivals into YVR are quite nicely timed, as far as immigration queues go. CX856 arrives at the tail end of the ~7:30am rush, CX810 is after the Asian rush (11am-noon, can be pretty bad) but before the late afternoon European arrivals, CX888 only has to contend with a smattering of US arrivals. CX865 arrives so late (or early) that you can be kerbside within 15 mins of doors opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.