Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Business Class Food - downhill again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Business Class Food - downhill again

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by samuelo
As an example of how bad CX food has become in J look at the plating and quality of what is being served on Air Italy.
Sure, but Air Italy is famously part of QR, which is known for its excellent J product, both hard and soft.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:24 am

I agree, 1st world problem. But since the thread exists and I just flew on CX 899/890 in Business (EWR-HKG return) I'll add to it

1) I too had the poor pour of champagne. However, it was more than made up for each time at The Pier
2) It looks like they are making the FAs plate food now, as if they don't have enough to do? Both times, my main course looked like someone hurriedly slapped the food on the plate. I have photos somewhere, I'll come back here to upload. I much prefer the traditional airline-style containers where the food looks like it's already been pre-cooked in said container and they just need to reheat
3) Food extremely salty
4) There were no snacks in the galley!!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by suziemay
I agree, 1st world problem. But since the thread exists and I just flew on CX 899/890 in Business (EWR-HKG return) I'll add to it

1) I too had the poor pour of champagne. However, it was more than made up for each time at The Pier

2) It looks like they are making the FAs plate food now, as if they don't have enough to do? Both times, my main course looked like someone hurriedly slapped the food on the plate. I have photos somewhere, I'll come back here to upload. I much prefer the traditional airline-style containers where the food looks like it's already been pre-cooked in said container and they just need to reheat
3) Food extremely salty
4) There were no snacks in the galley!!

Well, you can fly on UA on the same route, since they switched from plating food to reheat in its own container in J.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
How is the offering on a regional route such as SIN-HKG?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
I have been on 10 long haul Cathay J Class flights this year...I find it strange that the consistently good mains are ANY pasta dish, the steak and Burgers, all western fare....the worst are the Chinese Cusine...quite a contradiction for a Hong Kong/Asian airlines,lol.

I do realize Swire is more of a European company though...

Last edited by Eagle2000; Aug 19, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
How is the offering on a regional route such as SIN-HKG?
Nothing to write home about. And they always have the same few mains albeit being rotated in different months. Absolutely no surprises onboard and hardly anything 'gourmet or premium'.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Downhill again? When was it uphill (though I'll admit I fly them once a season now). Last time I flew them in C class from Shanghai to Indonesia (via Hong Kong) both trips it was a joke. Or the time I flew C from Beijing to New York (via Hong Kong), again, horrible to and back.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Downhill again? When was it uphill (though I'll admit I fly them once a season now). Last time I flew them in C class from Shanghai to Indonesia (via Hong Kong) both trips it was a joke. Or the time I flew C from Beijing to New York (via Hong Kong), again, horrible to and back.
CA and UA both fly PEK-NYC nonstop daily, and I will bet my bottom dollar on CZ entering the market after they ramp up operations at PKX.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
CA and UA both fly PEK-NYC nonstop daily, and I will bet my bottom dollar on CZ entering the market after they ramp up operations at PKX.
It was on company dime and I had horrendous experiences with both CA and UA in the past that still haunts me today. So I avoided them. Also, this trip is the primary reason Cathay let me stayed GO for another year despite the fact I'm well-short on points.

But in the future if I had to do that again I'll do HU, which also has PEK to NYC direct if I'm not mistaken? (Hainan Airlines)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.