Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kids Meal for 15 Year Old?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Kids Meal for 15 Year Old?

Hello everyone. I am 15 years old, and I am going to be traveling on a 16 hour flight from Chicago to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. I am a pretty picky eater, and it seems like the kids meal would fit my tastes better. I have 2 questions about this. Is it possible for someone at the age of 15 to preorder a kids meal? Is the kids meal the same quantity of food as the adult meal? Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Sbrown499
Hello everyone. I am 15 years old, and I am going to be traveling on a 16 hour flight from Chicago to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. I am a pretty picky eater, and it seems like the kids meal would fit my tastes better. I have 2 questions about this. Is it possible for someone at the age of 15 to preorder a kids meal? Is the kids meal the same quantity of food as the adult meal? Thanks.
Kids meals are smaller, you will be hungry. And yes, anyone can order kids meal.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Child meals have slightly smaller portions but are served on the same tray. CX also has a snack box so if you are still hungry there is that option, plus noodles.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

I will probably get the kids meal as if I got the adult meal I’d probably eat less of it than the kids meal. Thank you for your responses.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You are aware that CX has about 20 other meal choices? Including a baby meal. Are you travelling as an Unaccompanied Minor?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I am going to be flying as an unaccompanied minor on the way back, but not on the way there. I was not aware they had 20 meal choice. When I checked their website I only saw about 10 with most of them being for unique diets.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Well yes, but it seems that you have a "unique diet" also for the time being... Maybe your unique diet matches one of the 21 meals at the link above. The Hindu meal is rather good in my experience (you don't have to be Hindu to order that any more than you need to be a child to order a kids meal).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:13 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Are all those special meals available on all CX flights?
That would be pretty good if true (and I would certainly be getting the fruit platter although Hindi also sounds good).
The options you get under 'manage my booking' should be definitive.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
In case OP is worried that the CX menu is all Asian obscurities... there are plenty of regular Western options.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: pleb
I will probably get the kids meal as if I got the adult meal I’d probably eat less of it than the kids meal. Thank you for your responses.
Food preferences aside, their portions aren't that large to begin with. I doubt you'd be full with their adult meal.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I am going to be flying as an unaccompanied minor on the way back, but not on the way there. I was not aware they had 20 meal choice. When I checked their website I only saw about 10 with most of them being for unique diets.
If you are 15 you are not considered a UM (Unaccompanied Minor) by CX's standards - see https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ed-minors.html, although you can request to be treated as such by paying extra money. I started flying alone between Taiwan and New York since I was 15, about thrice a year, always with a transit in Hong Kong. You will be fine!

I also echo everyone and, yes, you can pre-order CHML (Child Meal) anytime before 24 hours before dep.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:06 pm

As someone who has half a century of travel ahead of you, I would suggest popping a favourite chocolate or snack bar in your carry-on. Most of the time it stays there, but it's nice to know it's there if I feel peckish.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
I also echo everyone and, yes, you can pre-order CHML (Child Meal) anytime before 24 hours before dep.
Does this 24 hours before departure only apply if one hasn't checked in?

Am I correct in thinking that once you've checked in online that you then cannot change your meal preference?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@Sbrown499 what cabin will you be flying? We've flown numerous times on CX to/from ORD and HKG (in all 4 cabins - not at the same time obviously). The child meals in the economy cabin are small. Good for very young kids, but you might be hungry as a teenager. PE and Biz are slightly bigger and you'll probably be okay. I recommend bringing on board a cup-o-noodle or something similar that you can heat up on the plane with hot water. Or stock up on sandwiches and snacks to bring on board. (We've never ordered child meals in First Class, but they usually have something that is kid-friendly on the menu.)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by gobblercat
Does this 24 hours before departure only apply if one hasn't checked in?

Am I correct in thinking that once you've checked in online that you then cannot change your meal preference?
I am not sure if you can still do it online, but even if you can't, I'm sure they can take the request if you call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.