Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$10,000 for a bed bug nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:24 am
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by Cambo
Yeah, and also the "timing" PER - HKG - JFK seems a bit odd. It's far from 15 hours PER - HKG whereas the issue started 30-45 mins out of PER over the Pacific. And to get bed bug bites "All over the Torso", in that small period, would be a challenge to.

And why seek publicity, when a lawsuit is running ? Put pressure on CX for an $M out-of-court settlement ?

Throw away a suitcase of cloths & belongings, while the suitcase has nowhere been near to the seat ?

Oh, and it was not CX, bringing the bed bugs on the airplane. Other passengers did so, if it happened.

As QRC writes: CX is not evil, other people would have reported the same and this would have reached government healthcare organizations to, if it is something serious. I can not imagine, an ISM / Captain NOT reporting such an issue, if it is omitted, they would be personally liable. These people do write a report of "special" items for every flight and OP's complaint would certainly fall into that category.

To me, it looks much more like an allergic reaction, and if indeed bed bugs, then just a few bed (?) bugs, instead of being infested. The doctor did not give any conclusive diagnose and came spontaneously with another diagnose.
As bad as the flight itself was, bringing home bed bugs would be exponentially worse. So throwing away a suitcase is a small price to pay for peace of mind (and one that CX should reimburse, among other things, if this was in fact due to bed bugs). I see little in this post to be suspicious of - and pointing out people bring the bugs onto planes is, well, obvious but irrelevant - but would need more information to really weigh in further. I would indeed think this would have been a problem on subsequent flights and of course would not go away on its own. Others in J - maybe even someone here on FT -- would have been bitten. I do have a SYD-HKG-EWR flight in J coming up in the next year so will be following for any further developments.

Last edited by nycflyer17; Jun 24, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:06 am

Sorry that this happened. I once got bitten by bed bugs at an Airbnb in Singapore and by some unknown bugs at a hotel in Vienna. Your bite marks do resemble those made by bed bugs. Have the doctor write a specific note stating that your bite marks are likely from bed bugs.

Bed bugs do travel and CX would likely cover up other cases of BB bites. Read the Nolo book about Personal Injury; much of the materials may apply to your case. I am not sure if $10k is enough, if you had to miss work and suffer that much.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I was asking for a photo of the infested seat. You cannot even provide that.
How on earth will you be able to prove that the fault lies with CX and the bed bugs came originally from the CX seat?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

Originally Posted by smoaky
..... So throwing away a suitcase is a small price to pay for peace of mind.....
Yep, sure, a suitcase, which was in the hold during the flight, on the luggage cart, in the taxi booth and presumably not opened before being thrown into the garbage collection (given the OP was still in his/her infested with bed bugs original cloths), has certainly a high risk of bed bugs contamination.

On the other hand, the carry-on, located very closely to the seat, regularly being "touched" and "opened" by OP during the flight, maybe some items/cloths taken and put back in, seems to have survived the garbage dump.

IF the bed bugs infesting was from a hotel room, then the dumping of the suitcase might have been an option to seriously consider. But for hold luggage: Get a grip.

.... (and one that CX should reimburse, among other things, if this was in fact due to bed bugs).
It's not OP (nor you) who decides, whether reimbursement should happen. You can ask, that's it. I have seen very little proof CX is at fault, other than this OP fanatic claim at the FT social media.

.... I see little in this post to be suspicious of - and pointing out people bring the bugs onto planes is, well, obvious but irrelevant - but would need more information to really weigh in further. I would indeed think this would have been a problem on subsequent flights and of course would not go away on its own. .....
Seemingly, there have been no further reports on previous and/or subsequent flights, nor has the problem been recognized on OP's flight, or otherwise for earlier/later flights, the ISM and Captain would have reported these items in their flight reports.

Not to say, it could very well be, OP did bring the bed bugs him/herself, unaware of the issue.

Originally Posted by warakorn
How on earth will you be able to prove that the fault lies with CX and the bed bugs came originally from the CX seat?
Indeed, the OP has does seem to use FT social media to put pressure on CX, with further unproven claims.

Originally Posted by brunos
Fully agreed. CX are not evil. If there was evidence of bug infestation CX would have taken measures and that would show in their records. If you have taken pictures of the seat with bugs, the cause would be unchallenged. The only question would be what is the proper compensation.
A problem with bugs is the allergic reaction they can provoke.among some persons, and you clearly had a big one.

A few years ago, I had a bad incident of bug bites that brought a reaction with red burns like yours and high fever about 24 hours after landing in Europe from Boracay.
This was eventually diagnosed as sand flies and given a massive dose of antibiotics. The reason being that flies lay eggs. My MD wife tells me that it is highly unusual to give antibiotics for bed bugs. You doctor must have suspected something more serious than bed bugs and gave you a massive dose of antibiotics. Maybe he is right and you got something in Perth before boarding or he was just risk averse.
Yes, I agree with this.

Originally Posted by rpezman24
CX is not evil. The issue was HKG-JFK which is 15 hours.
No one is looking for $1M. Just for CX to do the right thing.
OP, your original post is full of inconsistencies, unproven claims and has a headline of "money". If you want CX to take your claim serious, take care you start to have your facts correct, have your proof collected and take care your issues get registered on board. Looks to me, the crew was not very willing to deal with you, as you originally reported. Though willing or not, bed bug claims can expected to be reported, especially, when the ISM is involved. ISM's at CX are 10+ years experienced properly educated people, and they do really know how to deal with all these things.

Your current original post has a serious suggestion you use FT social media to put pressure on CX to "reward" your "unknown to FT readers" claim. Maybe consider removing the original post, CX might consider this a blackmail attempt, given there seems to be zero proof of your claims .......

And maybe have a second thought, whether your problem comes from the CX J class seat, or maybe from some infested own cloths, for example, a pull-over you changed into when on board. A pull-over that fell on the ground in your last hotel room and caught bed bugs ...... Just an idea.

Really, the ISM and Captain do register all extra ordinary items on board (also to take care, claims like yours get substance, instead of an unclear situation with an unhappy passenger) and given there does not seem to be any records of your situation, NOR records of bug-infested seats on that same aircraft earlier or later on, your claim is very, very weak. There are reasons CX does not want to honor your claim.

Originally Posted by garykung
This is where I would need to put a stop here.

While I understand others' POV that whether OP's condition might cause by bedbugs, but in the matter of law, it does not matter who brought the bedbugs up. What matters only is whether OP caught this on a CX flight, which would be sufficient.
It certainly does not matter WHO did bring the potential bed bugs on board, though on the other hand: Is it reasonable to hold CX accountable for "not detecting" the bed bugs during aircraft turn-around ?

Again, there do not seem to be any registrations of OP's claim in the flight documentation, no pictures on board and, also given the amount of "effort" according OP, the crew did put in this issue, it is unlikely, this would not get registered. The ISM is on board, to solve these items for this flight AND prevent issues with subsequent flights. CX ISM's are highly capable and honest people, I doubt they would forget or lie about this.

Let me give a completely different example: Suppose you are a freight truck manufacturer and are in the process to "optimize" the guarantee claims for broken parts. You have 2 options to do that: Check all parts which are handed in (costly) or collect statistics what your dealers present on cases and only have a look at the outliers: There can be genuine reasons for an outlier, though in general, these are the fraudulent cases. It works well, provided the scale is large enough.

The same with the OP claim: IF no other reports of the same issue show up for the same airplane/seat in roughly the same time frame, it is statistically unlikely, the claim is real. If there is no subsequent proof, etc. Draw your conclusions.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by sxc; Jun 24, 2019 at 7:08 pm Reason: Edit unnecessary commentary.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:30 pm
formerly smoaky

Uh... we have no idea where the luggage was. I assumed it was carry-on (you can bring suitcases as carry-on as far as I am aware!), though admit I could be wrong. You seem to have insider information that it was checked. And are very upset about this treatment of CX!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Uh... we have no idea where the luggage was. I assumed it was carry-on (you can bring suitcases as carry-on as far as I am aware!), though admit I could be wrong. You seem to have insider information that it was checked. And are very upset about this treatment of CX!
For the record.. who carries checked baggage on a trip that's less than 7 days for business? It was carry-on.
I don't know who this person is but they clearly work for Cathay Pacific and, like everyone else I have dealt with at that firm, seems to have no sense of honor let alone right and wrong. I can assure everyone here this is a mere PSA to those about to spend 5 figures on a business class seat and not intended to put any pressure on CX who can make this right very easily with a phone call. To my knowledge they do not have the power to rewind the clock on events that factually took place but they can apologize.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
For the record.. who carries checked baggage on a trip that's less than 7 days for business? It was carry-on.
​​​​​​
I mean if you are going to go that route, lots of people? I’m a photographer so my carry-on bag is going to be my camera equipment. Plus my laptop bag with essentials, that leaves only enough clothes for an overnighter. Anything two days or more I have to have a checked bag to have clothes.
IndyHoosier and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:20 pm

Do you care to post a picture of the bugs?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:11 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by Rukes

I mean if you are going to go that route, lots of people? I’m a photographer so my carry-on bag is going to be my camera equipment. Plus my laptop bag with essentials, that leaves only enough clothes for an overnighter. Anything two days or more I have to have a checked bag to have clothes.

OP shouldn't have assumed no one checks a bag in that situation, but we are veering off point at that. If one is trying to poke holes in the story, that he only had a carry-on suitcase is not a particularly useful data point. However, if indeed there were bed bugs, I don't blame him for throwing away the suitcase. Unless you have a way of heating it in a sealed environment it would... bug me too.

It would be helpful of course to have a photo of a bug on a seat, but that's not always possible. Often people get bitten in hotels and never see an actual bug. However, I don't intend to argue OP's side here, just noting.

Does anyone else know of reports of bed bugs on CX?
Jackolee likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It will probably be tough to see them with the dark green background of the CX seats, if that was the seat color...Especially at night.....

Going to your house/apt. at all with an infestation on you maybe risky...maybe taking a shower at the lounge and changing clothes before you go home maybe preferable...what a mess...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by warakorn
Originally Posted by boboqui
Do you care to post a picture of the bugs?
With CX's seat, you can't get as clear a photo as this https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/1...per-gross.html

They could cause inflammations like this https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/b...ys-flight.html
Jackolee likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
....I don't know who this person is but they clearly work for Cathay Pacific and, like everyone else I have dealt with at that firm, seems to have no sense of honor let alone right and wrong.
Aha, disqualify the messenger for messages you do not like ? Childish Trump style. The humor is, you are making a fool out of yourself, presenting yourself as a seasoned international business man, though forgetting to collect proof of your claimed nuisances .......

I can assure everyone here this is a mere PSA to those about to spend 5 figures on a business class seat and not intended to put any pressure on CX who can make this right very easily with a phone call. To my knowledge they do not have the power to rewind the clock on events that factually took place but they can apologize.
​​​​​​
The first thing EVERYBODY in a service industry does is profoundly excuse for inconveniences, multiple times, again and again, with each communication, etc. So, claiming you only want "CX excuses", your whole story becomes more and more difficult to believe. Given your lack of provable facts and your way of communicating, your "assurances" are getting less and less believable.

Looks to me, you are simply "after money", for example, get your fare of $10K reimbursed, communicating at FT under the disguise of "getting excuses" from CX ........ Don't worry, the reimbursement is not going to happen and the excuses, you already got that, many, many times. And I do hope, CX goes after you, for your blackmail attempts. You deserve it.....
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Bed bugs are the nastiest ever and they utterly destroy lives and souls. I don't blame the OP for being angry.
solewalker likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: pleb
And I do hope, CX goes after you, for your blackmail attempts. You deserve it.....
Jeez, people are mean in this thread
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:41 am

Yep, sure, a suitcase, which was in the hold during the flight, on the luggage cart, in the taxi booth and presumably not opened before being thrown into the garbage collection (given the OP was still in his/her infested with bed bugs original cloths), has certainly a high risk of bed bugs contamination.

On the other hand, the carry-on, located very closely to the seat, regularly being "touched" and "opened" by OP during the flight, maybe some items/cloths taken and put back in, seems to have survived the garbage dump.

IF the bed bugs infesting was from a hotel room, then the dumping of the suitcase might have been an option to seriously consider. But for hold luggage: Get a grip.

It's not OP (nor you) who decides, whether reimbursement should happen. You can ask, that's it. I have seen very little proof CX is at fault, other than this OP fanatic claim at the FT social media.

Seemingly, there have been no further reports on previous and/or subsequent flights, nor has the problem been recognized on OP's flight, or otherwise for earlier/later flights, the ISM and Captain would have reported these items in their flight reports.

Not to say, it could very well be, OP did bring the bed bugs him/herself, unaware of the issue.

Indeed, the OP has does seem to use FT social media to put pressure on CX, with further unproven claims.

Yes, I agree with this.

OP, your original post is full of inconsistencies, unproven claims and has a headline of "money". If you want CX to take your claim serious, take care you start to have your facts correct, have your proof collected and take care your issues get registered on board. Looks to me, the crew was not very willing to deal with you, as you originally reported. Though willing or not, bed bug claims can expected to be reported, especially, when the ISM is involved. ISM's at CX are 10+ years experienced properly educated people, and they do really know how to deal with all these things.

Your current original post has a serious suggestion you use FT social media to put pressure on CX to "reward" your "unknown to FT readers" claim. Maybe consider removing the original post, CX might consider this a blackmail attempt, given there seems to be zero proof of your claims .......

And maybe have a second thought, whether your problem comes from the CX J class seat, or maybe from some infested own cloths, for example, a pull-over you changed into when on board. A pull-over that fell on the ground in your last hotel room and caught bed bugs ...... Just an idea.

Really, the ISM and Captain do register all extra ordinary items on board (also to take care, claims like yours get substance, instead of an unclear situation with an unhappy passenger) and given there does not seem to be any records of your situation, NOR records of bug-infested seats on that same aircraft earlier or later on, your claim is very, very weak. There are reasons CX does not want to honor your claim.

It certainly does not matter WHO did bring the potential bed bugs on board, though on the other hand: Is it reasonable to hold CX accountable for "not detecting" the bed bugs during aircraft turn-around ?

Again, there do not seem to be any registrations of OP's claim in the flight documentation, no pictures on board and, also given the amount of "effort" according OP, the crew did put in this issue, it is unlikely, this would not get registered. The ISM is on board, to solve these items for this flight AND prevent issues with subsequent flights. CX ISM's are highly capable and honest people, I doubt they would forget or lie about this.

Let me give a completely different example: Suppose you are a freight truck manufacturer and are in the process to "optimize" the guarantee claims for broken parts. You have 2 options to do that: Check all parts which are handed in (costly) or collect statistics what your dealers present on cases and only have a look at the outliers: There can be genuine reasons for an outlier, though in general, these are the fraudulent cases. It works well, provided the scale is large enough.

The same with the OP claim: IF no other reports of the same issue show up for the same airplane/seat in roughly the same time frame, it is statistically unlikely, the claim is real. If there is no subsequent proof, etc. Draw your conclusions.
It has been so long since I last posted that I had to get a new password. However, your comments are so clearly informed by what I assume is your employer that it renders you unable to be taken seriously. I doubt anyone reading your wall of screed is in any way swayed to agree with your, I don’t even know what to call your comments other than a text screen defense.

If if you want your argument to be taken seriously might I suggest you post a diversity of comments rather than just sycophantic Cathay Pacific rants. If you do work for Cathay and OP can prove it? His lawyer might be interested to know your attempt to prejudice him against seeking damage. Be better, Cathay er...I mean, Cambo.
UAuhoh, flubber, Nazdoom and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.