Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CMB Direct Turn Continuing to the US (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG

I've seen the wiki thread but was wondering if anyone has tried a direct turn at CMB with an onward connection to the US? All segments in J, hand baggage only of course. I don't think printing the boarding pass online would be possible in this case.

I am looking at doing:

Ticket 1: PVG-HKG-CMB (CX367/CX611)
(75 mins)
Ticket 2: CMB-HKG (CX610)
(~8 hours)
HKG-EWR (CX890)

Thoughts on feasibility here?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Many of us here have done CMB turnarounds which are largely effortless and smooth

But...it seems to me that the MCT at CMB for CX-CX is more than 75 minutes, so I am a bit unsure on whether CX will protect this HKG-CMB-HKG connection across two tickets...
Old May 30, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i have done a turn with an onward connection to another non asian city - return BP (including to onward city) was printed at HKG F counters

problem that i see though in your case is the outport PVG may be reticent to print a return BP - you may need to push for this in HKG (or last resort get it in CMB transit)
Old May 30, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Let CX/CMB know that you’re turning around and you should be just fine, as Long as you don’t miss the HKG-CMB flight.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I think the wiki covers the B2B element well enough, personally I always used to enjoy an extra day in CMB. As far as I know the extra US checks are done in HKG airport, not at the outstation?

Just be aware that Cathay is cancelling CMB flights a fair bit at the moment due to the terrorist attacks (e.g. the Friday flight has gone from the schedules), so you run the risk of this moving both of your flights to a different date if it impacts your trip times. This has disrupted a few of my planned trips, though there have been free changes with fairly generous dates implemented as well. As such, if you need to be in NYC on a certain date be prepared to travel a day or two earlier to achieve your plan.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It seems that HKG-CMB only operates three times weekly.
But if CX610 is cancelled on your day, so will CX611. Then you might try to simply skip the CMB turnaround.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I think the wiki covers the B2B element well enough, personally I always used to enjoy an extra day in CMB. As far as I know the extra US checks are done in HKG airport, not at the outstation?

Just be aware that Cathay is cancelling CMB flights a fair bit at the moment due to the terrorist attacks (e.g. the Friday flight has gone from the schedules), so you run the risk of this moving both of your flights to a different date if it impacts your trip times. This has disrupted a few of my planned trips, though there have been free changes with fairly generous dates implemented as well. As such, if you need to be in NYC on a certain date be prepared to travel a day or two earlier to achieve your plan.
Thanks for the heads up, just got the cancellation e-mail. Might try and rework my whole trip now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.