Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay dont want to refund a ticked which charged by them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay dont want to refund a ticked which charged by them

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Cathay dont want to refund a ticked which charged by them

I bought a ticket on Priceline, but changed my mind and decided to change it or cancel.
I called to Priceline, but they sad they cant refund it since it was charged by CX and not by Priceline.I called to CX, they sad that i need contact to travel agency and they may refund it since it issued by TA.
So i called again to Priceline - and they sad same "ticket charged by CX, we dont have these money and cant request refund, call them", i asked for supervisor but he sad the same.
I called to CX again, and again same - call Travel Agent.

WHAT to do in these situation? I have statement from the Bank, that states "Payment in CATHAYPA 877-6092233 USA"

Any advises? Thanks
Old May 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

If u have not flown the first sector, the duty to refund is with your travel agent(i.e. priceline). However, some tickets are booked at a very low fare bracket and cannot be refunded. In this case, you have to deal with priceline and not cathay Pacific.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, was your ticket refundable at all? What were the CX fare rules and over and above those, what are the PL rules. It may well be that the ticket is inflexible and cannot be cancelled (for a refund).

But, if it is refundable, that is between you and PL. CX will not get involved.

It looks to be as though you might have charged the ticket to a credit card issued by a US bank. If so and if the ticket is refundable and neither CX nor PL will refund it, you should initiate a chargeback dispute. The bank will require PL to justify not refunding the money. Depending on the fare rules and PL's rules, you may see some or all of your money back.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just to repeat what was said before.

Only the TA can refund you IF THE TICKET IS REFUNDABLE. The fact that the money ended up in CX pockets, as it should, is irrelevant.

Tickets have refund rules. I assume that your ticket is nonrefundable or that the refund fee is higher than the ticket value. Check the fare rules.

If you are owed something, then the TA should refund you that money. Their argument that it is CX who has the money now is irrelevant. They will cancel the ticket, get some money from CX and pay it to you. That will take a few weeks and they will add a service fee on top of the refund fee charged by CX.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by raporot
I bought a ticket on Priceline, but changed my mind and decided to change it or cancel.
I called to Priceline, but they sad they cant refund it since it was charged by CX and not by Priceline.I called to CX, they sad that i need contact to travel agency and they may refund it since it issued by TA.
So i called again to Priceline - and they sad same "ticket charged by CX, we dont have these money and cant request refund, call them", i asked for supervisor but he sad the same.
I called to CX again, and again same - call Travel Agent.

WHAT to do in these situation? I have statement from the Bank, that states "Payment in CATHAYPA 877-6092233 USA"

Any advises? Thanks
Could it be, you booked a Cathay Pacific USA package deal, promoted by Priceline ?

If so, then you may not have a deal with the airline Cathay Pacific HK, nor with Priceline, but with the Cathay Pacific USA for the package deal. The payment description suggests, you did not pay to Cathay Pacific Hong Kong (ie the airline).

Check the documentation you received with your booking. It should state more details, with whom you closed this deal with.

Though, if this is really a package deal, then you likely have the cheapest ticket available, for which refunds, etc, are zero. You may try to get money back on taxes, etc, though it could very well be, the handling costs for that are higher than the amount you would get back.

Conditions, which might be applicable:
D. Amendments, Cancellations and Refunds For Travel Packages with compulsory Travel Extras (i.e. combination of hotel, flight, and travel related non-air products at an all-inclusive price)
2.18 For Travel Packages with compulsory Travel Extras made 7 days or earlier before departure and paid via the internet on the Cathay Pacific US site that involve itineraries to, from or within the US, you can cancel and obtain a full refund for such paid booking within 24 hours after purchase.
2.19 The “Travel Extras” portion of the travel packages with compulsory Travel Extras is non-refundable, non-amendable, non- transferable and non-exchangeable.
2.20 No refund will be made on any partly-used Travel Extras booking. For example, where you have used the single journey of transportation and not the return journey, there will be no refund on the return journey. For the avoidance of doubt, no refund will be made on any unused Travel Extras booking.
2.21 With regards to amendments, cancellation and refunds, Travel Packages with compulsory Travel Extras may have additional and/or specific terms and conditions attached, in addition to booking conditions in Section 1 of this Terms and Conditions. Please refer to the promotional literature (if any) and read any additional and/or specific terms and conditions before booking as once the booking is confirmed you are deemed to have accepted them.
2.22 All terms set out in clause 2 section A shall also apply to Travel Packages with compulsory Travel Extras to the extent relevant.
2.23 All cancellation charges (if applicable) are a genuine pre-estimate of CX’s losses and will cover the charges that CX will incur from its suppliers, lost profits and administrative expenses.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...onditions.html
Old May 26, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
If you've checked the T&Cs and the ticket is fully refundable, I would suggest contacting your local consumer champion in the media. The number of times I've seen airlines suddenly pay up when the papers get involved is amazing. They will often say it's a good will gesture rather than admit their fault because they don't want any further bad publicity, but as long as you get your money back (if appropriate) is the main thing.

Just remember these consumer champions are often swamped with many different cases so you might not get featured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.