Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans for CX to serve PKX?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why does China make their airports so hard to reach by public transit?
PEK: horrible airport express train. Only benefit is it is cheap. Doesn't even connect to the subway very well.
PVG: take the subway (really really long time) vs maglev (which doesn't actually go to town).
CAN: subway for an hour or longer to downtown.
My theory has always been that this is intentionally designed to protect the taxi drivers in each town, by making taking a taxi the most convenient and direct way to get anywhere meaningful in town. China’s politicians know that they do have to connect the airports by public transport as well, but they do that only for those that cannot or will not usually afford a taxi. So those can take the subway, and to them - based on the logic of the politicians - time is not an important factor, hence why a slow connection with many stops to the airport doesn’t matter. Finally, in the case of the Maglev or the proposed HSR, again there is a balance of a recognition that it makes sense to build these for reasons of greater productivity and to show off China’s modernity, but again the terminal stations are usually way outside the city centre (An annoying fate which you can see at most of the HSR stations). Why? Again, probably a combination of factors, including protecting the taxi industry, as well as different interests at play by the various stake-holders involved in approving, building and managing different parts of public infrastructure. Strikingly reminiscent of an episode in Yes, Minister (Or was it Yes, Prime Minister?), which satirises the same lack of a coherent policy approach to public transport in the UK.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swingaling
Presumably they'll remain at PEK unless they make an announcement to the contrary. Have you checked with S7 directly?

If S7 switches to PKX and you flying HKG-PEK on CX, then yes you'll have to switch airports.
If s7 were to switch airports, any sensible person who wanted to connect to them would fly CA to PKX.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by moondog
If s7 were to switch airports, any sensible person who wanted to connect to them would fly CA to PKX.
Except I have not heard of any plan that CA will start PKX-HKG.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Except I have not heard of any plan that CA will start PKX-HKG.
Of course they will fly that route. And, I'm guessing CZ will as well.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
My theory has always been that this is intentionally designed to protect the taxi drivers in each town, by making taking a taxi the most convenient and direct way to get anywhere meaningful in town. China’s politicians know that they do have to connect the airports by public transport as well, but they do that only for those that cannot or will not usually afford a taxi. So those can take the subway, and to them - based on the logic of the politicians - time is not an important factor, hence why a slow connection with many stops to the airport doesn’t matter. Finally, in the case of the Maglev or the proposed HSR, again there is a balance of a recognition that it makes sense to build these for reasons of greater productivity and to show off China’s modernity, but again the terminal stations are usually way outside the city centre (An annoying fate which you can see at most of the HSR stations). Why? Again, probably a combination of factors, including protecting the taxi industry, as well as different interests at play by the various stake-holders involved in approving, building and managing different parts of public infrastructure. Strikingly reminiscent of an episode in Yes, Minister (Or was it Yes, Prime Minister?), which satirises the same lack of a coherent policy approach to public transport in the UK.
No. I mean, this logic applies perfectly in the UK. But Chinese CP officials doing infrastructure planning possess a great deal of common sense, for lack of a better way to put it. Taxi industry interests is way down in the list of things they'd consider.

The answer is airspace congestion. PVG, SHA, PEK and PKX all need lots of ATC patterns because runway ops are separated by as little as 45s, so the break out approach/ go-around flight paths are actually used reasonably frequently. And then the Chinese government sets up no fly zones everywhere, over the Forbidden City, military camps, etc.

But yes it is stupid that the Maglev from PVG does not truly go into the CBD.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler
But yes it is stupid that the Maglev from PVG does not truly go into the CBD.
The maglev was built as a test track. If the test had been successful, it would have been extended across the river. But, it failed, and is likely to be decommissioned within the next five years.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
The maglev was built as a test track. If the test had been successful, it would have been extended across the river. But, it failed, and is likely to be decommissioned within the next five years.
Will subway line 2 be the only public transportation alternative?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Will subway line 2 be the only public transportation alternative?
My MOR contacts tell me that a new express line (that only stops in popular places) is in the works.

I should also note that some of the buses are pretty useful.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
My MOR contacts tell me that a new express line (that only stops in popular places) is in the works.

I should also note that some of the buses are pretty useful.
That would be excellent - currently both the long taxi ride and the public transport options are short of pleasant.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Isochronous
That would be excellent - currently both the long taxi ride and the public transport options are short of pleasant.
I almost always take the #2 bus from PVG to JA Temple because it is a straight shot (e.g. ~45 minutes), there are lots of good restaurants/bars in the area, and it's usually easy to get a didi home from there. But, when going to PVG in the morning, I either endure Line 10 to Line 2 or grab a didi.

My (very) limited understanding of the new line is that, like Line 2, it will connect PVG with SHA, and will be about 1.5 km south of Line 10. While this is less than ideal on the surface, if the transfers between lines 13, 12, and 7 are good, I see a lot of potential.

Bear in mind that the MOR has floated many ambitious plans in the past (e.g. Maglev extension to Hangzhou was actually announced on at least 3 separate occasions) that never panned out. That having been said, I think they clearly realize that Line 2 is dreaded by many.
Unionruler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.