Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Trip Report Cathay Dragon to Chiangmai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report Cathay Dragon to Chiangmai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by hadsst
That's not the point. It's not about sharing a bus with someone. It's about priority which should come with the premium class ticket.

Perhaps you really rarely travel with KA, and can't feel the annoyance of departing ot arriving at a bus gate. Those buses simply won't depart until they have "enough" passengers onboard, and the agent would try hard to squeeze as many passengers on a bus as possible. Practically you don't have any priority boarding or disembarking on these flights.

The even more annoying part is you are almost guaranteed to arrive at a bus gate for KA widebody arrival at HKG in the evening. How would you feel when you see, time and time again, people travelling on UO at the same time get an airbridge?

And by the way, I did experience a dedicated bus for premium pax before. Guess which airline was it? BA!
​​​​​​Some airport do have this. But my main complain about the bus in Hong Kong airport is that they just try to squeeze as many people as possible. Well typical HK type of service.... the other day I refuse to board the bus as there was virtually no space to squeeze in. They told me they would call security if I don't comply. Told them to call security. Magically an other bus showed up....
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fairhsa
On the other hand your gripes about the Wing are laughable. The code is not "1234" but Cathay1234 and there are signs all over the place telling you this. You have to click the "accept" button on a browser in addition to putting in the code if you really did have the right code. If you don't have the right plug for Hong Kong, they will provide an adapter, you only have to ask. HK is all about service - just ASK for what you want and it will be provided. Griping helps nobody.
I can confirm the Wing F's wifi was unusable on Easter Thursday evening (thanks to @derek2010 for guesting me in)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
seems you like your own voice
Dragonair was never a budget carrier
in the F lounge there was no sign of the code I have two eyes that work
I asked and was told 1234- probably my old laptop had the code but not my new one
My complaint was grovelling on the floor to insert into the power socket-you should read what people write Judge Dredd
Of course I carry the correct plugs

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Dragonair was a budget airline purchased by Cathay and rebranded. It still has numerous "budget airline" features but without the "budget" price. It surprises me people don't know that. Flew it a few times in the last month (to/from KL). Yes, it's a much inferior product.

On the other hand your gripes about the Wing are laughable. The code is not "1234" but Cathay1234 and there are signs all over the place telling you this. You have to click the "accept" button on a browser in addition to putting in the code if you really did have the right code. If you don't have the right plug for Hong Kong, they will provide an adapter, you only have to ask. HK is all about service - just ASK for what you want and it will be provided. Griping helps nobody.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP
HKD$7.5k is a lot to pay for a round trip 3 hour flight. I'd save the money and take coach nonstop on Air Asia or HK Express. The money can go very far in CNX.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
seems you like your own voice
Dragonair was never a budget carrier
in the F lounge there was no sign of the code I have two eyes that work
I asked and was told 1234- probably my old laptop had the code but not my new one
My complaint was grovelling on the floor to insert into the power socket-you should read what people write Judge Dredd
Of course I carry the correct plugs
Sure:

Regarding the stupid wall/floor/drawer sockets: Yep, though that's law in Hong Kong, CX has to use this type and nothing else. And you can borrow free adapter to about every other socket type you have yourself.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
Just my view - although there may now be operational/practical reasons, it doesn’t mean KA should remain at ease. There should really be improvements to enhance the experience given the price (unless they really don’t care about ex-HKG). Amongst the many points that OP mentioned (let alone some of which not too relevant to KA), the crowded bus and sad-looking/tasting food are the main let-down to me too.

Last edited by Jackolee; Apr 22, 2019 at 8:15 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I smiled at this post, even though it was badly formatted, the OP has fair gripes, but most of them are well known issues that are not specific to the destination, at least from my fairly regular Cathay travel:
  • The KA dim sum breakfast is never a good choice, though I don’t think the European option is much better. My general rule is to fill up in the F lounge and then avoid the main on the flight, at least the lounges are better quality food, if busy on a holiday morning.
  • Not working lounge wifi is a pain, and common I find, the only advise is to use your phone as a hotspot!

I’m not so much making excuses, but accepting that KA can be poor when you go from the bus gates, sadly they do it based on destination and so you have a choice, like Chiang Mai, of accepting that or going indirect, a short bus ride is clearly still way better.

Indeed I did the same trip and went to Chiang Mai a little earlier in the month for the Ching Ming festival, my experience was not too dissimilar to the OP’s, but I know what I am getting. In my case, due to the public holiday, an 8k HKD business ticket could easily be the ex-HKG price for an economy ticket if booked closer to the time. At least I didn’t have any arrival delay, though leaving HKG in the morning can be a lot of queuing on the ground at the airport.

Just to help the OP appreciate the iPads a little more (mine actually broke during the flight so I needed a replacement, thankfully my wife wasn’t using one), I did a Qantas flight a few days ago with a similar set up but business didn’t even get the iPad so you had to provide your own device. So KA can be better than some.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I’m not so much making excuses, but accepting that KA can be poor when you go from the bus gates, sadly they do it based on destination and so you have a choice, like Chiang Mai, of accepting that or going indirect, a short bus ride is clearly still way better.
I share your views mostly, but the lacking experience on KA is getting more and more significant. As a matter of fact, they do not seem to be that cunning that they only assign flights without competition to the gates far away, but also those to Shanghai, Kaohsiung, etc.

Indeed I did the same trip and went to Chiang Mai a little earlier in the month for the Ching Ming festival, my experience was not too dissimilar to the OP’s, but I know what I am getting. In my case, due to the public holiday, an 8k HKD business ticket could easily be the ex-HKG price for an economy ticket if booked closer to the time. At least I didn’t have any arrival delay, though leaving HKG in the morning can be a lot of queuing on the ground at the airport.
Try making a comparison for the non-peak season...

Just to help the OP appreciate the iPads a little more (mine actually broke during the flight so I needed a replacement, thankfully my wife wasn’t using one), I did a Qantas flight a few days ago with a similar set up but business didn’t even get the iPad so you had to provide your own device.
Is it only my jinx that the iPad is always not function-able. Not possible to go on after a few clicks when navigating, or it simply cannot load a complete movie.
Sometimes I wonder why they offer iPad as IFE for flights to Chiang Mai or Kolkata, but personal TV for flights to Xiamen (1-hour flight) alike...

So KA can be better than some.
It depends on your benchmark. Honestly, sometimes QR regional flights can be disappointing too (using iPads, food not tasty), but sometimes very good (excellent service, good choices of breakfast). However, the experience on KA to me is constantly lacking. Perhaps this is what they regard as consistency in the recent years?
Of course if we compare KA to some American airlines (let alone others even worse), it can be better. It's nice that life should remain positive!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Jackolee
It depends on your benchmark...
Absolutely, I'm BA gold and spent years travelling in Europe (primarily UK domestic) flights with BA & BMI. By the end of my time there I had no free food, no free drink^, no entertainment and regular delays/cancellations on every flight, in comparison KA is still a delight... . I enjoyed reading your comments, agree with them completely. I suspect the iPad issue isn't the hardware but the software that is buggy, but so hard to tell since they're so locked down and restarting doesn't make any difference.

And I do take your point about not only the "no competition", I was wrong and should have considered my statement more - reflecting, I have had Shanghai flights from the bus gates thinking back, but the arrival (CX or KA) when they drop you off as far away as they can from the terminal in PVG is a pain and never considered that KHH had competition (it's always so cheap anyway).

So is the conclusion to have low expectations (being American or European helps), then KA seems acceptable...

(^PS, amusingly after I left the UK they did bring back business class with freebies, a full circle back to when when my fully flexible "Y" fares came with extra perks like free food, and even further back when my BMI status got me a free beer and a kitkat)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
it was not a business experience
at best it was premium economy
they should re-market it accordingly
normally I would always eat in the lounge but not at 6 am having left home at 4.45 am
as for the previous poster who doubts I am CX DM I am one step above that level

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.