Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Pier dining — what a let down!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
CX should seriously consider changing the vendor from Sodexo (the same caterer in Hong Kong University canteens, offering 頹飯 (English: cursory rice) which is cheap in price and of low quality, targeting at students) to one of the following:
1. Maxims (美心): currently operates Starbucks, Simplylife, various brands of Chinese cuisines, 東海堂, Cova in Hong Kong
2. Tai Hing (太興): currently operates Siu Mei restaurants under its own brand, 茶木 (Taiwanese restaurant) in Hong Kong
3. Peninsula: the former CX lounge's operator
4. Neil Perry: the QF First lounge (World's best lounge) dining operator
5. Hoi King Heen (海景軒): Chinese restaurant in Intercontinental Hong Kong, also HX exHKG business class menu designer
6. Shanghai Min (小南國): currently operates Shanghai style restaurants under its own brand, as well as Pokka Cafe
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by derek2010
Agreed the Neil Perry food at the QF First Lounge in Sydney I rate as good as a good restaurant. Salt n' Pepper Calimari to die for (the QF LAX Lounge tries hard to do a good approximation, tastes good but the bar is too high), and an absolutely wonderful Burger. And yes a really good burger can be good food, again the QF First lounge in LAX does an excellent burger, but I keep having to make sure no beetroot, something I personally cannot abide but Aussies seem to love on their burgers.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by sxc
Currently there are two empty shelves in the Pantry fridge where the "jarred" appetisers used to be. I'm not sure if this is a temporary or permanent change.
I doubt it’s temporary.

I have been seeing this since June
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Agreed the Neil Perry food at the QF First Lounge in Sydney I rate as good as a good restaurant. Salt n' Pepper Calimari to die for (the QF LAX Lounge tries hard to do a good approximation, tastes good but the bar is too high), and an absolutely wonderful Burger. And yes a really good burger can be good food, again the QF First lounge in LAX does an excellent burger, but I keep having to make sure no beetroot, something I personally cannot abide but Aussies seem to love on their burgers.
a bit out topic: there will be another QF First Lounge at Singapore......., have to think of a way for getting to Terminal 1 from Terminal 4 to get into the lounge.
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I would think that unless Cathay actually have a first class lounge, and not a partner lounge that allows in frequent fliers, the quality of the food by necessity isn't going to be that high.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
a bit out topic: there will be another QF First Lounge at Singapore......., have to think of a way for getting to Terminal 1 from Terminal 4 to get into the lounge.
Only way is to get a connecting flight out of T1/2/3 after your CX flight lands in T4, or flying into T1/2/3 and transit to CX in T4.
Singapore airport authorities are extremely unlikely to allow a pax ex-SIN originn to enter secure area in T1/2/3 with a T4 boarding pass.
You also need to ensure sufficient time for transit and lounge visit during the lounge opening hours.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:55 pm

CX should seriously consider changing the vendor from Sodexo (the same caterer in Hong Kong University canteens, offering 頹飯 (English: cursory rice) which is cheap in price and of low quality, targeting at students) to one of the following:
1. Maxims (美心): currently operates Starbucks, Simplylife, various brands of Chinese cuisines, 東海堂, Cova in Hong Kong
2. Tai Hing (太興): currently operates Siu Mei restaurants under its own brand, 茶木 (Taiwanese restaurant) in Hong Kong
3. Peninsula: the former CX lounge's operator
5. Hoi King Heen (海景軒): Chinese restaurant in Intercontinental Hong Kong, also HX exHKG business class menu designer
6. Shanghai Min (小南國): currently operates Shanghai style restaurants under its own brand, as well as Pokka Cafe
Well, Qantas Lounge in HK is operated by Accor and puts CX lounges (at least the business class ones) to shame.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by zhaobao
Well, Qantas Lounge in HK is operated by Accor and puts CX lounges (at least the business class ones) to shame.
maybe CX can request Peninsula (or co-operate with some Hong Kong's private clubs like Hong Kong Jockey Club, Hong Kong Football Club, Hong Kong Country club) to take over operation the dining section.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Or Portuguese tart (these are v-good by the way)
wish they had these in Pier F...i dont know why its only exclusive to Pier J
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by igel
Only way is to get a connecting flight out of T1/2/3 after your CX flight lands in T4, or flying into T1/2/3 and transit to CX in T4.
Singapore airport authorities are extremely unlikely to allow a pax ex-SIN originn to enter secure area in T1/2/3 with a T4 boarding pass.
You also need to ensure sufficient time for transit and lounge visit during the lounge opening hours.

You can just have a super long transit or arrive much earlier like 4 hours. Air side, there is a bus from T4-T2 and then u can go to T1 via the train. Just note the travelling may take 30 mins one way.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
QF F lounges in MEL and SYD are run by Accor
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:42 pm
THR

I have a 7 hour layover in HKG before our flight to SGN in December. Was anticipating spending a fair bit of this time at The Pier lounge.

Has it gone downhill that much? It was the best lounge of all of them when I was last in J lounges there; but is the Qantas lounge better now?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:22 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
wish they had these in Pier F...i dont know why its only exclusive to Pier J
I love these at Pier J - always grab one enroute to the showers.
But I wish they would place that tray of egg tarts under a cover of some sort v.s. having it open air... am thinking twice about grabbing these now, after I recently saw a lady walk by that tray, and cough without covering her mouth.. who knows how long that tray's been sitting out in the open, and how much germs is gathering on its surface...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by THR
I have a 7 hour layover in HKG before our flight to SGN in December. Was anticipating spending a fair bit of this time at The Pier lounge.

Has it gone downhill that much? It was the best lounge of all of them when I was last in J lounges there; but is the Qantas lounge better now?
Well, you have 7 hours so I'm sure you have more than enough time to go lounge-hopping!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by infinitium
I love these at Pier J - always grab one enroute to the showers.
But I wish they would place that tray of egg tarts under a cover of some sort v.s. having it open air... am thinking twice about grabbing these now, after I recently saw a lady walk by that tray, and cough without covering her mouth.. who knows how long that tray's been sitting out in the open, and how much germs is gathering on its surface...
I always thought it was behind the counter with lights to keep them warm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.