Wiki Posts
Search

Fly cx over AA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I think CX has introduced wifi to many aircraft. My Feb. HKG-YVR-JFK//IAD-HKG and Mar. HKG-LAX-HKG all had wifi. CX also bans VOIP.
even the 77W flights have wifi? thats good to know! ive been flying 350s a lot lately tho - those have wifi

i flew AA once and the dude behind me was on skype for a good 3 hours.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
[QUOTE=moondog;30967883]1.

2. I certainly agree that 4 flights is better than 1, but when the AA flight goes tits up, they will usually endorse you to CX

Problem is that the AA flight, depending on the time of year, is circa midnight, by which time all CX (and JL as a JV partner have left). In my experience (and the reason I pulled by business) is that MX or other problems, happen late, and can't get onto another flight till the next day. Happened 3 times for me late 2017, and I then pulled my business. The DFW flight is no better. For me, going to HK / Asia every two weeks, I cannot deal with the operation efficiency issues of AA, never mind their surly flight attendants.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:30 pm

On a simliar note, I'm currently waitlisted for a 5/4 flight in J on CX from HKG to IAD. I am not sure how much longer I can wait to see if that gets cleared.

Should I rather book PE in AA (found a relative cheap one way PE flight in AA) so I can at least accrue some miles? I can still book the same CX flight in Y but thinking PE in AA will be a better bet than CX Y comfort-wise.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United
Thanks for the response all. The main reason for Choosing CX is schedule wise. I am meeting family whom are flying in on a different flight, around 5am. AA gets in at 645, cx gets in a 545AM - so that's my rationale. The way back I have to eventually fly into PHX for for a work obligation, so I either have to spend the night in a north american connection city, since no flights get in to PHX via west coast late night.... or spend an extra day in HK, or cherry pick a flight that is good and accrues miles. I am leaning toward staying in HK until mid/late afternoon and either hopping on the cx flight at 445pm or the AA at 6:30pm. I could take the 2:20 AA thru DFW, or United via ORD or SFO around 11-1130AM, but then I forgo the extra day, tough call not ever having flown this route as to my option. Ideally need wifi for work related tasks on such a long flight coming back...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gilligan44
Thanks for the response all. The main reason for Choosing CX is schedule wise. I am meeting family whom are flying in on a different flight, around 5am. AA gets in at 645, cx gets in a 545AM - so that's my rationale. The way back I have to eventually fly into PHX for for a work obligation, so I either have to spend the night in a north american connection city, since no flights get in to PHX via west coast late night.... or spend an extra day in HK, or cherry pick a flight that is good and accrues miles. I am leaning toward staying in HK until mid/late afternoon and either hopping on the cx flight at 445pm or the AA at 6:30pm. I could take the 2:20 AA thru DFW, or United via ORD or SFO around 11-1130AM, but then I forgo the extra day, tough call not ever having flown this route as to my option. Ideally need wifi for work related tasks on such a long flight coming back...
As much as I like wifi on planes, I'm actually kind of happy when my long flights don't have wifi because then I can peace out, and watch downloaded Netflix without being bothered by my work chats. Basically, I can endure a small seat for 15 hours, but I like being able to take a break from chats when I'm in it. On airlines with paid wifi, I usually buy a 1 hour pass mid flight, just to make sure there are no emergencies I need to address. But, whenever I fly MU, my colleagues assume that I'm online for the entire flight (because wifi is free, and works almost everywhere).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You can do AA all the way.

I don't see why you need to take CX at all...
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
You can do AA all the way.

I don't see why you need to take CX at all...
because cx is less bad than aa, perhaps?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka
because cx is less bad than aa, perhaps?
I just felt OP has over-complicated things...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United
I wanted to experience cx as I will rarely fly to SE asia, and wanted to have the experience. If you guys are saying, I'm not missing much, and that AA or united is basically the same product in coach, then taking an american carrier r/t makes sense. However, if it's a markedly better product, I'd fly one inbound the other outbound, or just cx r/t and try to figure out how to code the miles. Having wifi is important and I've read the LAX/HKG route could be hit or miss, which might be an issue. I might be over-complicating things, but thought there might be a slam dunk choice...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:38 am

I wanted to experience cx as I will rarely fly to SE asia, and wanted to have the experience. If you guys are saying, I'm not missing much, and that AA or united is basically the same product in coach, then taking an american carrier r/t makes sense. However, if it's a markedly better product, I'd fly one inbound the other outbound, or just cx r/t and try to figure out how to code the miles. Having wifi is important and I've read the LAX/HKG route could be hit or miss, which might be an issue. I might be over-complicating things, but thought there might be a slam dunk choice...
CX has been working hard to ensure that the days of its product in economy being head and shoulders above AA are receding daily. If you end up on a 10 abreast 777, there is not a huge difference alas.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wanted to experience cx as I will rarely fly to SE asia, and wanted to have the experience.
Traveling on CX, especially in Y, is not really an once in a lifetime thing. So next time maybe.

But this time - You simply complicated things here...I don't see why you have to do so.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
I just felt OP has over-complicated things...
many threads on FT are over-complications XD but i do see the last flight of day to be a valid worry. my GF have had a 8 hour delay on AA193 - if on other flights she would have been moved to an flight before the delayed departure - except for this one because there simply isnt one.

As a result, i would pick one of the earlier CX flights and bank the miles to AA. banking miles to AA do not necessary require flying with them.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka

even the 77W flights have wifi? thats good to know! ive been flying 350s a lot lately tho - those have wifi

i flew AA once and the dude behind me was on skype for a good 3 hours.
Haha yes mate, about half the 77Ws have wifi now and the conversions are going very quickly. Some routes you can guarantee it. That fleet guide we maintain has the regs with wifi all marked accordingly. Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

I will add, of my four primary longhaul carriers (CX, EK, SQ, JL) CX 777s are hands down the fastest. While CX A350s are good, CX 777 wifi is blazing. CX deserves criticism elsewhere but definitely not in the wifi department. They were late to the game but have more than made up for it in a superior service to virtually all their competitors. Pricing plan is also very good.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Well..as others said the differences in Y or even PEY are very minor between major TPAC carriers, so maybe it's over complicated. Also, AA discounted Y credits are not going to be significant (~4,000 AA miles aren't really worth more than $60). So it all comes down to what you prioritize, wifi? routing? timing? or the I-took-CX experience?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Having recently lost my CX Y virginity (on a code share where I did earn miles), I would never consider them with the objective of sacrificing miles for potential in-flight experience. The one airline where I'd consider that is SQ, where I've been served Y meals superior to AA's C meals. I found CX to be very middle or the road and somewhat frumpy — practically designed seats, friendly and efficient crew who made a point of recognizing OW status, but mediocre food and drink (and no hard liquor options at all, if that is of interest).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.