Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Different Names on Different ID Card/Passports for the Same Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold

I have a question to ask. If my name on the Home Return Permit (to be used by Hong Kong citizens) is CHAN/DAI MAN JOHN and my passport name is CHAN/JOHN DAI MAN, if I have to issue a ticket from Xiamen to New York (via Hong Kong) and return, will I get into trouble if I issue it per my passport name CHAN/JOHN DAI MAN? Wonder if they will deny me to board the plane in Xiamen as I will leave Xiamen using my Home Return Permit (with the name CHAN/DAI MAN JOHN)?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The airline only cares whether you will be allowed into wherever they are flying you to, so the name on the ticket should match the name on the document you will use to enter the USA.

In general (I don't know if there's anything specific about China) outbound immigration simply wants to know who you are, and that you're leaving.

I don't think there will be a problem.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by lesteryen
I have a question to ask. If my name on the Home Return Permit (to be used by Hong Kong citizens)....
Just to be politically correct, there is no such thing as a "Hong Kong Citizen"!

The correct term is "Hong Kong Permanent Resident with Chinese Citizenship".
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by daniellam
Just to be politically correct, there is no such thing as a "Hong Kong Citizen"!

same here, we don't call us Sydney Citizens, we call it Sydneysiders...
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I have a question to ask. If my name on the Home Return Permit (to be used by Hong Kong citizens) is CHAN/DAI MAN JOHN and my passport name is CHAN/JOHN DAI MAN, if I have to issue a ticket from Xiamen to New York (via Hong Kong) and return, will I get into trouble if I issue it per my passport name CHAN/JOHN DAI MAN? Wonder if they will deny me to board the plane in Xiamen as I will leave Xiamen using my Home Return Permit (with the name CHAN/DAI MAN JOHN)?

Many thanks.

I do that all the time - the exact issue that you mention. I keep the name on my plane ticket the same as my passport name so that I can get MPC credited.

No problems getting out of China but you won't be able to use the automated gates when leaving China as the names don't match. Just go to the manned immigration counter.

I've not had any questions asked / no hassles at all.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Isn't the term "Chinese National" for HKPRs?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, the term "citizen" doesn't seem to appear here: https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/resident...inese/law.html
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

Many thanks.
I am in the same situation, and have never encountered any problem. However, if you are flying to/from anywhere other than HKG, Chinese immigration may ask for the travel document you are using to enter or exit. Some Chinese immigration officers may flip open your other passport. I suspect they are looking for Chinese immigration stamps or visa, which can result in confiscation of HRP. Also some US airlines check-in agent may insist you need a Chinese visa before allowing you to board (at least in the past).

I usually fly through HKG and there is no issue.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Wonder if they will deny me to board the plane in Xiamen as I will leave Xiamen using my Home Return Permit (with the name CHAN/DAI MAN JOHN)?
While it is rare, this is a possibility given that your name indeed does not exactly match.

But if you have the gut to show both document altogether, the GA should eventually let you fly.

Another political correction.

Because one country comes before the 2 systems, the politically correct term should be a "Chinese citizen with Hong Kong Permanent Residence"

Originally Posted by tentseller
Isn't the term "Chinese National" for HKPRs?
Originally Posted by christep
Yes, the term "citizen" doesn't seem to appear here: https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/resident...inese/law.html
English is not an official language of the PRC.

It seems it is a translation error.

(Note - because many Hong Kong residents are BN(O) holders. So the word "national" is sensitive in Hong Kong. So even the "official" translation is "national", but I do believe that the Central Government really mean citizen. Even the Immigration Department uses the term citizen instead of national.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.