Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SL vs EM op-up priority

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I didn't realize CX op ups based on status.

I got op up'd from PY to J on ICN-HKG at check-in on an avios ticket (BA FF number attached but zero status). It's hard to believe that there wasn't anyone in PY that had any level of OneWorld or CX status over me who had none. The op up being a way to try to snipe my business seems very plausible.
It's totally possible! If you were flying, say, PEK-HKG on an Avois ticket and you were upgraded from PY to J - then I'd be VERY surprised.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I didn't realize CX op ups based on status.

I got op up'd from PY to J on ICN-HKG at check-in on an avios ticket (BA FF number attached but zero status). It's hard to believe that there wasn't anyone in PY that had any level of OneWorld or CX status over me who had none. The op up being a way to try to snipe my business seems very plausible.
Did your plane still have PY or was it swapped to a regional aircraft?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sxc

Did your plane still have PY or was it swapped to a regional aircraft?
Yes no swap, PY was allegedly full and oversold
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Yes no swap, PY was allegedly full and oversold
Say if PEY or maybe even PEY & Y together was oversold by 10 seats. Then CX needs to select 10 pax to be moved to J. All of the pax with status in PEY has been moved to J already and they still need to select more pax. And normally pax travelling alone has priority.

I have been on flights with Y & PEY oversold by maybe 20 seats one times, you hear a lot of beeps at boarding gate and a lot of boarding passes facing down. Almost everyone queueing in front of me (status pax at the J boarding line) had a new boarding pass.... Maybe because another flight cancelled?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Say if PEY or maybe even PEY & Y together was oversold by 10 seats. Then CX needs to select 10 pax to be moved to J. All of the pax with status in PEY has been moved to J already and they still need to select more pax. And normally pax travelling alone has priority.

I have been on flights with Y & PEY oversold by maybe 20 seats one times, you hear a lot of beeps at boarding gate and a lot of boarding passes facing down. Almost everyone queueing in front of me (status pax at the J boarding line) had a new boarding pass.... Maybe because another flight cancelled?
It's not totally rare to see flights so overbooked in Y that status pax in Y get double op-ups. Furthermore, I've seen situations on many regional flights where the entire PEY cabin (pax who originally booked there, no equipment swaps) gets upgraded to J. So it might very well be that OP was upgraded according to the priority, all the others had just gone before! I'm not an expert, but I've got the impression that HKG-ICN is not the most biz heavy route, so CX might oversell Y by a lot to maximise revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.