Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SL vs EM op-up priority

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
It makes very good sense when the OWE flies CX as much as a Diamond member. It makes a lot less sense when a OWE flies as much as a CXMP Green. That's why CX should have systems that can assess exactly how much any OW/CXMP frequent flyer is spending with CX.
!
CX has already this system. However it doesn’t mean valuable OWE who spending a lot on CX should get better service onboard than CX GO/SL do!

In fact, every airlines should treat their own members better over other partners’. If OWE would like to get more attentive service, please credit the mileage into MPC and become CX elite!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Cathay Gold
It's a bit off topic, but l received a op-up for the first time since I became club member.
It was a HKG-BKK segment and l have noticed it when l re-loaded mobile boarding pass.
As a GR member(around 160 points) , I had not expected any upgrade at least until I become SL.
The flight was full in Y and few seats vacant on J.

Strangely, l noticed that person who has a DIA(black one) tag seating bulkhead seat in economy.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by ermen
feel that SL are CXs most captive client base.

SL fly too little in premium to get gold... yet frequently enough (likely for business in Y) - hence they get to this place called SL.

Given their pattern of flying, its likely they will not qualify for ows anywhere else and enjoy lounge benefits. but they get this from special lounge perk from CX much makes them want to fly CX more (very good move).

in other words, it is hard to see a SL getting SL mainly from OW flights given the Y bias (and likely to be in lower fare classes which make it hard to accumulate CX Cps).

so who to opup? the SL who is a CX captive already? or OWE who is probably higher value overall - ie the person whose total yearly airline spend most definitely higher than the SL, but may/may not fly CX more?
I fall into this group and I am grateful what CX has done for me I fly CX premium whenever I can on leisure trips and is on track to get back to GO
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
CX is doing that now.

Because now all MPC members earn CP instead of club miles, and CP is earned based on fare classes, CX in fact knows who are "high golds" vs "low golds".
Does anyone know if this tracking extends to other OW flyers?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JP_Flyer
It's a bit off topic, but l received a op-up for the first time since I became club member.
It was a HKG-BKK segment and l have noticed it when l re-loaded mobile boarding pass.
As a GR member(around 160 points) , I had not expected any upgrade at least until I become SL.
The flight was full in Y and few seats vacant on J.

Strangely, l noticed that person who has a DIA(black one) tag seating bulkhead seat in economy.
Maybe he was flying with friends or family and CX couldn't upgrade them all....

I've had flying with my daughter, we both on same ticket, also with my mum, SL, separate ticket. Mum got upgraded however not me.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ausriver

I've had flying with my daughter, we both on same ticket, also with my mum, SL, separate ticket. Mum got upgraded however not me.
So which FF and status were you use that time?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:15 am

in this situation, I was usually asked by ground crew “ If we could only upgrade one person, are you willing to be upgraded? “
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin

CX has already this system. However it doesn’t mean valuable OWE who spending a lot on CX should get better service onboard than CX GO/SL do!

In fact, every airlines should treat their own members better over other partners’. If OWE would like to get more attentive service, please credit the mileage into MPC and become CX elite!
I think that you are confusing the airline (CX) and its FFP
CX was one of the first airline to develop an extensive database on all its pax, not only its FFP members. They know exactly all the flights I take with them. CX cares about its bottom line, whatever OW FFP you belong to.
They have no particular interest that you move to AM. They want your business.
Published Benefits of MPC are well known but CX has to do much more than simply cater to the small number of MPCs. And they do. I am quite happy with my treatment by by CX (I fly CX more than the typical SL and mostly in premium cabins). An airline needs to attract frequent flyers from any FFP.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

in this situation, I was usually asked by ground crew “ If we could only upgrade one person, are you willing to be upgraded? “
And leave your daughter flying alone at the back?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
An airline needs to attract frequent flyers from any FFP.
I agree with this but prioritizing other FFP members over CX's own ones is just not right.
It is like "We dont value your loyalty but your money. "

No wonder many people have jumped to other FFP...
jsfrSE and Jackolee like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:29 pm

And leave your daughter flying alone at the back?
How old is your daughter?
When I was asked to be upgraded sole, it means my travel companion is old enough to sit alone.
If she/he is too young, I wouldnt be asked by the ground crew.

Anyway, usually I will say yes but give my seat to my travel companion.
jerrywu likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I agree with this but prioritizing other FFP members over CX's own ones is just not right.

I understand your point of view, but an airline is a business company. It is not about family values or morality.
I regard FFPs as incentive programs rather than loyalty rewards. CX benefits a lot having members of other OW FFPs fly them given its very small home base.
CX SL is specifically designed to encourage no-so-frequent Y pax to fly CX, as lounge access is specific to CX flights. But CX needs to attract frequent flyers from other OW FFPs.

And you are right that airlines are after your money.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I think for some outports like ORD, there isn’t a rigid system of determining op-up priority. Rather, I believe the station manager (or whoever oversees the operations) have the discretion to choose some lucky passengers. I am claiming this because last June, all of my family (1GO 1OWS 2Not-even-AMs) was upgraded from PEY to J and we weren’t even on the same booking.

As a result I believe there must be someone in the back office selecting pax and sometimes it is based on more than just status.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:25 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond

Indeed, my thought as well.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:42 pm

I didn't realize CX op ups based on status.

I got op up'd from PY to J on ICN-HKG at check-in on an avios ticket (BA FF number attached but zero status). It's hard to believe that there wasn't anyone in PY that had any level of OneWorld or CX status over me who had none. The op up being a way to try to snipe my business seems very plausible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.