Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Upgrade certificate following involuntary downgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade certificate following involuntary downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Bumping this thread, is there a restriction against using these upgrade certificates on an award flight?

I don't see any terms on the voucher specifying that the original flight must be on a certain booking class.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:06 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by fakecd
i am very happy if i get these certificate for PE to Y downgrade on HK-BKK and use this for PE-J upgrade on HK-JFK
lol I just noticed my post a few posts back

Last edited by blum81; Jun 24, 2019 at 2:22 am Reason: previously answered this thread
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe that certificate is a A-card, which is not really an upgrade certificate (Note - CX does award upgrade certificates to MPC elite above certain threshold).

Originally Posted by The_Editor
...does that mean we just have to wait until we arrive at the airport to see if there is availability?
The A-card is space available only. You will get upgraded when there is an actual seat available (Note - PEY is considered as a separate class of service).

The A-card also comes with other perks. But since you are a BA Silver, they are pretty much meaningless to you.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I personally value them slightly more than points upgrade, as they can do E -> J or OSQN -> PEY upgrades. And you can use them after knowing that you would not get an op-up.

However, they are also quit hard to use, if you want to get a good value out of it. I have been trying to use one for the last six months, and every single time the upper class was full, once even sold the last J seat at -1 hour.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
I believe that certificate is a A-card, which is not really an upgrade certificate (Note - CX does award upgrade certificates to MPC elite above certain threshold).

The A-card is space available only. You will get upgraded when there is an actual seat available (Note - PEY is considered as a separate class of service).

The A-card also comes with other perks. But since you are a BA Silver, they are pretty much meaningless to you.
I don't know what is an A-card, but what CX hands out liberally for incidents such as downgrade is a one-class airport upgrade certificate. That can be used by any pax whatever his FFP and do not provide any additional benefits to MPC members. I got many of those over the years.
I don't remember the small print, but I think that they do not require that the ticket be a paid ticket.

The question of the priority order for upgrade is a different one.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by blum81
About half a year later my waitlist from PEY to J from YVR to HKG didn't clear so I was pretty stressed calling in frequently to see if any J seats opened up but to no avail. Once getting to YVR I asked the check in if I could upgrade with points and she said there's no availability for upgrading with points. Then I pulled out the upgrade certs and gave it to her, she made a few calls, and my wife and I had 2 J seats from YVR to HKG.

I guess certs have higher priority than points. I could have been really lucky though.

Same thing also happened from HKG to BNE.
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Upgrade using miles are subject to redemption class availability, A cards are subject to availability on check-in even if those remaining seats are Full J fare buckets.
Interesting. I always thought Instant Upgrade Redemption at airport is subject to actual seat availability and not redemption class availability. (I have cleared airport Instant Upgrade taking the last J class seats while the EF loads were J1 C0 D0 I0. This was in YYZ with CX staff.

I wonder what the official policy is.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:00 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I have a quick question - we currently have two certificates due to an operational downgrade. My outbound YYZ-HKG (booked PEY) flight is already down to J2 ten days out so probably no dice on this one, but the return flight is looking more promising however its still just under a month out. Flying on a Tuesday so hopefully that will help.

My question - we are flying SGN-HKG first connecting to HKG-YYZ. Do I request the upgrade at check in at SGN or do I have to hold onto them and ask when we get to HKG?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I have a quick question - we currently have two certificates due to an operational downgrade. My outbound YYZ-HKG (booked PEY) flight is already down to J2 ten days out so probably no dice on this one, but the return flight is looking more promising however its still just under a month out. Flying on a Tuesday so hopefully that will help.

My question - we are flying SGN-HKG first connecting to HKG-YYZ. Do I request the upgrade at check in at SGN or do I have to hold onto them and ask when we get to HKG?
Is your certificate "upgrade at airport"?
If so you will only know if you are upgraded at HK airport.
But you probably want to initiate the procedure when you check in at SGN. However, be very sure that they do understand that you want to upgrade the HKG-YYZ leg, not the SGN-HKG.
Once you arrive in HKG, immediately go to the CX transfer desk to check that they have all the information.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by brunos
Is your certificate "upgrade at airport"?
If so you will only know if you are upgraded at HK airport.
But you probably want to initiate the procedure when you check in at SGN. However, be very sure that they do understand that you want to upgrade the HKG-YYZ leg, not the SGN-HKG.
Once you arrive in HKG, immediately go to the CX transfer desk to check that they have all the information.
Yes it’s one of those surrender at airport check in certificates. What threw me off a little is the instructions says I have to give the certificates at check in and if my upgrade fails they will return the original certificates to me.

Obviously if I surrender them at SGN they won’t be able to give it to me in HKG if I don’t clear. I presume they will tell me to surrender them at the gate podium in HKG instead.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I wonder if you can use these certificates at the in town check in the day before... Would they give you the upgrade seat if there is availability at check in, or will need to wait till x number of hours before departure?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The way it worked for me is that I show the certificate at check-in and they enter the details in their system.Then I get notified in the lounge or at the gate and they take the certificate. Even if you retained the paper version of the certificate, you could not reuse it as the system knows that it has already been used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.