Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Flavours on Flights ex-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:47 pm

Is it just me, or someone also thinks that they're plating a HK$30 meal in a dish and calling it an upgrade?
These aren't high grade ingredients apart from the abalone (which you could get in a $50 metal can) and the crab meat "sauce".
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The cost of the meal definitely isn’t as much as $30...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

AusBT update!

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...tm_source=hero
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:44 am

Interesting how the original Business Traveller article had pictures of fried fish in sweet corn sauce on jasmine rice as well as steamed pork and water chestnut patties on jasmine rice. Both looked very Cafe de Coral. The updated article no longer carries these pictures. No matter what CX's intention is... cosmetically this looks like cost-cutting, albeit that yes many travellers like comfort food. (Tsui Wah wins by far in comfort food in my humble opinion.)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
I tried once a HK flavour dish and it was exactly as those described above, comforting and taste like Cafe de Coral. Quality was better than before.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Has anyone tried a dish from the new Flavours of HK menu and can share (pref a photo)?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Opening lines from the ABT.
Globetrotting business travellers tend to love trying local dishes, but why wait until your flight touches down? Cathay Pacific is tapping into its roots with a series of authentic Cantonese inflight meals under the airline’s new ‘Hong Kong Flavours’ dining concept.

Available on flights from Hong Kong to Australia, New Zealand, Europe, South Africa and North America, the dishes reflect the diversity and vibrancy of the city’s rich gastronomic traditions
Doesn't the first line imply "why wait until you get to HK to try local dishes", but the second line say you can only get these meals when leaving HK? When you've probably already sampled the real thing?

Hey, I admire CX efforts, but I think the journalist here is mixing things up and if people don't read carefully may assume they are on all flights.
sxc likes this.

Last edited by dddc; Feb 12, 2019 at 3:29 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by christep
If you had ever spent any time in Hong Kong you would understand that the term "vegetarian" is incompatible with "Hong Kong Flavours".
That is quite a limited and ignorant perspective. For decades in Hong Kong, one has been able to dine at numerous traditional Cantonese buddhist vegetarian restaurants. Having said that, some of their traditional dishes can be oily and may not necessarily be inspired or innovative, but vegetarians can always count on them for hearty and satisfying meals.

In recent years, there has been a movement towards not just vegetarian but vegan cuisine and restaurants in Hong Kong. (I was surprised to read the numerous articles on scmp.com recently extolling the virtues of vegan food and featuring vegan restaurants.) Just last month, I ate at two excellent international vegetarian buffet restaurants a few stores down from each other on Fort Street in North Point/Fortress Hill.

Hong Kong is not the vegetarian paradise that is Taipei/Taiwan, but its vegetarian/vegan scene seems to be thriving, both traditional and modern.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
(I was surprised to read the numerous articles on scmp.com recently extolling the virtues of vegan food and featuring vegan restaurants.)
That's because the fairly recently appointed editor of the "lifestyle" pages is herself a proselytising vegan. Full-time vegetarianism remains a very niche persuasion amongst Hong Kongers (mainly an occasional meal where the chef is judged on their ability to make vegetarian facsimiles of meat dishes). Veganism is vanishingly rare, except in the expat/sea turtle community.

Last edited by christep; Feb 13, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

That's because the fairly recently appointed editor of the "lifestyle" pages is herself an proselytising vegan.
Good for her! It's good to have more viewpoints and information - the world is changing, and information is power. There is hope and progress!

Full-time vegetarianism remains a very niche persuasion amongst Hong Kongers .
True, not just for Hong Kong, but for most of the world, except in rare and niche communities. But nobody is talking about "full-time" vegetarianism or veganism on this thread. We're merely talking about vegetarian food and restaurants in HK. (Actually, we're getting more and more off topic...)

Veganism is vanishingly rare, except in the expat/sea turtle community.
Au contraire, veganism is not vanishing but on the rise - albeit from a small base - with much more awareness in recent years, advocated by numerous celebrities, as well as medical, nutritional, and environmental experts. By the way, every time I dine at a vegetarian restaurant in HK, the place would invariably be full and bustling, and the overwhelming majority of the clients are local Chinese, not expats or sea turtles.

In any case, why the derision, dismissiveness, and disrespect? Nobody is threatening to take your cooked or raw animal flesh away from your plate. Most vegetarians and vegans - full time or not - will gladly fight for your right to eat whatever sentient beings you so desire. Relax, and enjoy your double bacon-wrapped cheeseburger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.