Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC - seeking some insights and opinions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MPC - seeking some insights and opinions...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:50 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Is there a specific reason why you dodged answering to the obvious choice of Singapore Airlines that QRC3288 already mentioned?

Also I'm not quite sure if I understood: You obtained MPC GO with your SIN-TYO flights while you do not credit any of your CX US-HK flights to MPC? Would'nt you already quite easily make DM with 6-8 return US-HK trips in J/F?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
im too lazy to go through YOUR calculations, but say if you only have to do this HKG Transit once for CX DM then i would do it. if you have to do this quarterly, i wouldn't. Getting top tier status is hard enough whichever trick you use, CX DM is prob the hardest and we all here can agree on that.

i principally have status with JAL so i look at this differently. If you are Premier (80K Status Miles) or Diamond (100k Status miles), 1) your miles wouldn't expire (not an option on CX AT ALL). and 2) you have a gift - one of which is to gift the same status to a "partner", or you can get some cash coupons to name some FT-related options. Also, there's a trick to get a psuedo lifetime status so when you switch jobs or travel less, you would be able to keep some status. Of course, whilst you are doing this you will miss out on AA/AS miles because you have to credit them to JL.

Quarterly JL sin-tyo-sin gets you enough JL-metal status miles for Diamond anyways. plus a few trips to USA (on CX) you'll be emerald in no time. you get bonus RDM with status too and can also opt for crediting AA/AS for your additional trips beyond Emerald. JL Metal status miles is usually the harder part of the requirement but you are very much clear of that.

To put things in perspective, you get 9500ish miles for a 1way SINHND on JL metal crediting to JL as a JL Diamond, on CX you get 4114 AM. the redeem table may not be as generous as times but it's not exactly doubled on that end so you may just be better off.
Thanks. This is helpful.

My rough calculations didn't involve JL Mileagebank. From your post, I've learned more about JL's program than I ever knew before.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mxr
Is there a specific reason why you dodged answering to the obvious choice of Singapore Airlines that QRC3288 already mentioned?

Also I'm not quite sure if I understood: You obtained MPC GO with your SIN-TYO flights while you do not credit any of your CX US-HK flights to MPC? Would'nt you already quite easily make DM with 6-8 return US-HK trips in J/F?
Ah, since I suck at multiple quotes, I just addressed, or so I had thought, QRC's and Kaka's posts in a single unquoted one. While the SQ recommendation is certainly not without merit, I dismissed it for a couple of reasons: (1) several less than stellar experiences dealing with SQ (which I feel no need to rehash here); and, (2) have no interest in earning Star Alliance.

As to the second part of your question, when asking for advice, I'm just more accustomed asking it in a brief, to the point, and without any non relevant details. I assume, most are like me, and find it tiresome reading a long expose on a simple question. But, if you're curious, at the risk of boring you, I'll try to clear up your confusion. Up until several years ago, I hadn't visited HK in a long time, and thought it would be nice to visit, for nostalgic reasons. So, I'd fly there once or twice a year and used AA miles to redeem CX F. Then, after AA devaluation, CX F price when from 70k(?) to 120K, I changed to AS, which has kept CX F at 70K, and with a stopover.

Up until then, given the criteria for DM, or even GO, it's obviously a waste of time to even consider it, especially in CX F/J. Now, about 2 years ago, something changed, and I realized there is a possibility that I may have to make at least quarterly trips to HK & SIN. So, a year ago, when this possibility increased, I reached out to MPC and requested a match, and was kindly offered SL. I had credited a couple of CX J/F TPACs to AS, while crediting the intra Asia routes, HKG/SIN/TYO/PVG (on JL/CA/KA), to MPC/Asiamiles. My flight in Feb is the first CX metal TPAC I will be crediting to MPC/Asiamiles.

The quarterly TPACs, possibly 6 - 8 flights, are all future flights, where it's all but certain I'll be the one tabbed to do the traveling. No one can predict the future, but there's a chance I may be taking these flights for several years. I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize my rebate over the next 12 months, and whether or not DM is worth, say, forgoing the miles I can earn on AS or, now, thanks to Kaka, JL. But, if it's DM, I'd have to credit to MPC immediately to even have a shot at it this year.

So, any insights on whether or not DM is worth it? However, based on some of the insights given here, I've decided against the SIN-HKG-TYO detour.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:21 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Definitely not boring... I usually read most of the stuff posted if I find it to be interesting. After all it makes it easier to answer if you provide more information.

From the info you just gave, it seems like you value the award miles much more than the status. So based on this I'd say that you should definitely fly JAL direct SIN-TYO and credit to JAL just like Kaka already suggested. Honestly speaking status doesn't matter that much anyways if you mostly fly J/F for work. Sure, its nice to have lounge access and all that for your personal trips but lets be realistic, how often does one fly for personal reasons anyways... and when you do fly for personal reasons and you redeem F/J it also doesn't really matter what status you have. Except for those little things, you get the same stuff when flying premium cabins as if you'd have some sort of status.

I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize my rebate over the next 12 months, and whether or not DM is worth, say, forgoing the miles I can earn on AS or, now, thanks to Kaka, JL. But, if it's DM, I'd have to credit to MPC immediately to even have a shot at it this year.
If it was me, I'd probably go for DM, but I also fly a lot more in economy so its a completely different case. if you fly in longhauls in PEY or Y you really might value the difference of service, lounges, luggage allowance etc. . However looking at what you wrote:
So, I'd fly there once or twice a year and used AA miles to redeem CX F. Then, after AA devaluation, CX F price when from 70k(?) to 120K, I changed to AS, which has kept CX F at 70K, and with a stopover.
Crediting to MPC would be of much less value for you in terms of award miles: Does losing 1/2 of the possible award miles sound good to you in exchange for a bottle of water for that 1 flight you might take in economy on CX?

Last edited by mxr; Jan 31, 2019 at 6:27 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mxr
However looking at what you wrote: Crediting to MPC would be of much less value for you in terms of award miles: Does losing 1/2 of the possible award miles sound good to you in exchange for a bottle of water for that 1 flight you might take in economy on CX?
Don't mean to go OT on my own thread here, but, and this is pure speculation on my part, I don't think the AS 70K CX F with a stopover redemption is going to last indefinitely. I mean, for instance, CX F HND - HKG - JFK for 70K? On general principle, one would have to redeem this, in my view. So, the risk is earning tons of AS currency, and be subject to devaluation, especially since domestic redemptions have little or no value for me.

Generally, when I sense change, I don't wait around, try to be amongst the first out the door, and never bother sticking around for the hindsight analysis. Since MPC has recently devalued (at least from what I read), I'm assuming it'll be safe from further devaluation, at least for several years? So, perhaps, this may be a prudent time to hedge with DM & leveraging AM for future potential redemptions.

Of course, not having extensive experience with MPC, all of my paper theorist stuff may be completely off base, like my...er...idea on the SIN-HKG-TYO detour. Really glad I asked before implementing that plan, which initially, at least to me, seemed somewhat plausible.

PS - Also, with the recent mistake fare thing, I'm assuming any HKG - JFK redemptions will be unavailable to partners, hence, my reluctance to earn tons of AS miles to "save" for next year. Unless it's Amex MR, I like to earn and burn asap.

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:39 am Reason: Added PS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.