Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC - seeking some insights and opinions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Will be flying, at least quarterly, SIN - TYO; usually, I just take JL direct in J. But, if I opt for CX, which goes through HKG with a layover, may earn enough points for DM. I usually fly J or F, and was wondering if DM is worthwhile what I'm considering? Or, is it just goofy and not worth it? Also, say, if my potential qualifying DM, whatever excess points above the threshold are set to 0 immediately upon the flight's completion?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Just so that you are aware, you need a grand total of 2100 CPs to hit DM in your first year.

One round trip will net you 150 points, assuming you fly J or C class SIN to HKG (there is no guaranteed F to SIN) and your TYO flights are in First. So you will need to make 14 trips in year 1. For renewal, you will need just 8.

End of of the day, it is how much you value getting to DM I guess
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

I should have provided a little more color on my initial post, but was in a rush this morning. During my next flight in mid Feb, will be GO, reset to 0. The next 12 months, will have, at least, quarterly flights from NA (SFO or JFK) to HKG, more likely 6 - 8, all of which should be in either J or F. However, still may be short, and was wondering if it may be worthwhile to divert my direct JL on the SIN-TYO to the CX via HKG for the HND F leg.

At this point, I'm not sure how much I value DM, and looking for diverse perspectives on how others value the status to form a more informed opinion.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
1) HND F means you will be flying in on the SIN-HKG red eye? They more than often put awful equipment on that rotation (ie no flat bed) so not sure if worth the sacrifice for the HKG-HND F sector which serves almost exactly the same food as J (no toast no kaiseiki no freshly scrambled eggs). Conversely on the return HND-HKG F i think it doesn't connect to CX715 so the connecting flight is CX659 which is also painful to take IMHO

2) You didn't specify if it's GO vs DM or other emerald vs DM. If former then more likely to be worth it

3) The worthiness of DM depends on 2) - if GO vs DM then the F lounge access is worth it; if not, then some view the benefits as limited (ie courtesy channel and buggy at HKG) but there are some hidden benefits (ie pulling revenue seats for awards) that I place huge value wrt DM status
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
714 is almost always a 773. There are the rare occasions where it gets a 77G/K, but rare is rare,
659 is operated with a mix of 359, 33K or on the rare occasion 33E.

Apart from the ability to pull revenue for award seats, once you have such a heavy traveling schedule, visiting a lounge becomes a norm. In fact, I give up heading for the lounge in HKG, preferring to spend more time with loved ones in town. Then again, it's all about perspective.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
1) HND F means you will be flying in on the SIN-HKG red eye? They more than often put awful equipment on that rotation (ie no flat bed) so not sure if worth the sacrifice for the HKG-HND F sector which serves almost exactly the same food as J (no toast no kaiseiki no freshly scrambled eggs). Conversely on the return HND-HKG F i think it doesn't connect to CX715 so the connecting flight is CX659 which is also painful to take IMHO

-- Yes. Generally, I prefer the redeye departing SIN a little after 1 am, irrespective of whether I'd opt for JL, CX, or XX Air. There are some drawbacks to this detour, not to mention potential irrops, but, it's something I'd consider (maybe to only regret later), if I'm convinced the potential benefits of DM are worth the inconvenience. Aside from just coffee or tea, I generally don't eat breakfast when I'm by myself. So, to food, or lack thereof, wouldn't necessarily be a drawback for me.

2) You didn't specify if it's GO vs DM or other emerald vs DM. If former then more likely to be worth it

-- It's the former. While I've never attained OWE, I have been OWS for several years via AA, but don't plan to requalify this year. Whatever above and beyond DM, assuming I'd choose to try and qualify, would be credited to AS, where attaining, at least mid tier, status should be relatively painless. Is OWE worthwhile? The only thing I noticed about OWS is when the, not familiar with CX FA nomenclature, FA in Gold brought menus to "Elites" and thanked them for being "XXXX" status. Personally, I'd rather skip the acknowledgement stuff, and find it a waste of time, for both them and me.

3) The worthiness of DM depends on 2) - if GO vs DM then the F lounge access is worth it; if not, then some view the benefits as limited (ie courtesy channel and buggy at HKG) but there are some hidden benefits (ie pulling revenue seats for awards) that I place huge value wrt DM status

-- Part of my reason for disengaging form AA is the devaluation on miles redemption, and have decided to focus on AS, for obvious reasons. Because of the mistake fare thing, potential redemption availability may be constrained, and I thought it may be prudent to hedge my future travel with MPC status. In the past, AA and AS (for now) redemptions offered such a compelling value, that I never bothered to earn Asiamiles, given their 3 year expiration. In case partner awards dry up or AS partner redemptions are devalued, I'm open to accruing Asiamiles now, especially if being DM offers some benefits on potential redemptions. Moreover, not sure if it's just me, but, at least on the surface, GO seems pretty underwhelming relative to DM. Finally, Amex MR is my main rewards program, and I have a considerable amount of this currency to transfer to Asiamiles if and when it's necessary to top off awards.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
714 is almost always a 773. There are the rare occasions where it gets a 77G/K, but rare is rare,
659 is operated with a mix of 359, 33K or on the rare occasion 33E.

Apart from the ability to pull revenue for award seats, once you have such a heavy traveling schedule, visiting a lounge becomes a norm. In fact, I give up heading for the lounge in HKG, preferring to spend more time with loved ones in town. Then again, it's all about perspective.
Generally, I prefer the 1 am redeye flights to SFO, or, even CX 888 that stopovers in YVR. I never know when I'm going to have a dinner obligation before departing, and find the latest flights offering the greatest flexibility. So far as lounge access is concerned, it's useful to have the Pier day suites for when I don't have dinner obligations and arrive at the airport early, rather than roaming the streets of HK. Otherwise, I'd just head for the Wing, and just wait for my flight. Though, if I want to shower before, I'd head over to the Pier. So, yes, for those times I'm not in F, having access to the F lounges would be a value to me.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Mate, if your route is SIN-Tokyo and you fly F, it is a no brainier to take SQ. I flew that once last year, ended up going through NRT to make a dinner. NRT is quite inconvenient but frankly this is far better than the craziness of connecting in Hong Kong to CX548, which is the only flight each day to Tokyo which guarantees F class. SQ has a second flight to HND with F too IIRC, but it lands too late to make a dinner. But that's another great option.

Everyone else above is giving spot on advice. You are likely to be on a regional config overnight to HKG. Dreadful. And thet connect F to Tokyo which in winter months can be barely 3+ hour flight flying time, not enough for a half decent nap. Food is J class breakfast. Etc. You couldn't pay me to do that routing!

As for the return, HND-HKG in F on CX is considerably better, but then you still have to connect to SIN on the red-eye? Or latest daytime flight? And who knows if CX flies a flat bed on that config. No I really cannot recommend this one bit!

And if you're flying J not F, still do SQ or JAL nonstop! No way do you want to fly CX for this itinerary. My two cents.
HaikalS likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
I should have provided a little more color on my initial post, but was in a rush this morning. During my next flight in mid Feb, will be GO, reset to 0. The next 12 months, will have, at least, quarterly flights from NA (SFO or JFK) to HKG, more likely 6 - 8, all of which should be in either J or F. However, still may be short, and was wondering if it may be worthwhile to divert my direct JL on the SIN-TYO to the CX via HKG for the HND F leg.

At this point, I'm not sure how much I value DM, and looking for diverse perspectives on how others value the status to form a more informed opinion.
i take it you are SIN based MPO creditor (Otherwise you would not be CX GO). I'm curious, do you have a partner who needs status/ do you want to consider life after you switching jobs?
that said, I think the JL flight is a much better product overall compared to CX (especially with 2 legs)
QRC3288 and HaikalS like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm really bad with the quoting thing, so won't bother and just reply generically.

1. Regarding the absurdity of SIN - HKG - HND, I'd agree. However, with a quick back of the envelope calculation, even with multiple J/F TPACs, still may be short of DM. And, if the difference is between 20 points short of 1,200, or qualify, but have to endure this absurd detour? Naturally, if I didn't think I'd come close, wouldn't even consider it.

2. Yes, I've been crediting JL flights to MPC/Asiamiles. Compared to the FT regulars, I'm a novice at this miles thing, and sort of just stumble around making guesses as I go. Again, with a back of the envelope calculation, rightly or wrongly, I figured for the relatively short SIN - TYO JL flights are better credited to MPC (TPACs credited to AS/AA), and I can transfer Amex MR points into Asiamiles, whereas I can't with JAL Mileage bank. Have some Asiamiles approaching the 3 year thing, and so motivated to start using them.

3. Have business Partners/friends who could potentially benefit from Status, I suppose. As to my wife, I don't think she cares.

4. Not sure I understand. Consider life after switching jobs?

5. Taken on its own merits, a direct flight is always better, especially JL, which I find excellent. Again, what if enduring this absurd itinerary is the difference between 1,200 and, say, 1,180?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You are aware of what the regional business class seat on CX is like and that you would be in that seat for a flight departing at midnight? I think this should be your biggest consideration.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
You are aware of what the regional business class seat on CX is like and that you would be in that seat for a flight departing at midnight? I think this should be your biggest consideration.
No, but I'm starting to think there may be something I should be aware of? The few HKG - SIN redeyes I've taken were on, I believe, A330s with the single reverse herrigbone seat.

What are we talking about here? Something like the Europe thing where J is 3 seats with the middle serving as a table?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. This was helpful.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'm really bad with the quoting thing, so won't bother and just reply generically.

1. Regarding the absurdity of SIN - HKG - HND, I'd agree. However, with a quick back of the envelope calculation, even with multiple J/F TPACs, still may be short of DM. And, if the difference is between 20 points short of 1,200, or qualify, but have to endure this absurd detour? Naturally, if I didn't think I'd come close, wouldn't even consider it.

2. Yes, I've been crediting JL flights to MPC/Asiamiles. Compared to the FT regulars, I'm a novice at this miles thing, and sort of just stumble around making guesses as I go. Again, with a back of the envelope calculation, rightly or wrongly, I figured for the relatively short SIN - TYO JL flights are better credited to MPC (TPACs credited to AS/AA), and I can transfer Amex MR points into Asiamiles, whereas I can't with JAL Mileage bank. Have some Asiamiles approaching the 3 year thing, and so motivated to start using them.

3. Have business Partners/friends who could potentially benefit from Status, I suppose. As to my wife, I don't think she cares.

4. Not sure I understand. Consider life after switching jobs?

5. Taken on its own merits, a direct flight is always better, especially JL, which I find excellent. Again, what if enduring this absurd itinerary is the difference between 1,200 and, say, 1,180?
im too lazy to go through YOUR calculations, but say if you only have to do this HKG Transit once for CX DM then i would do it. if you have to do this quarterly, i wouldn't. Getting top tier status is hard enough whichever trick you use, CX DM is prob the hardest and we all here can agree on that.

i principally have status with JAL so i look at this differently. If you are Premier (80K Status Miles) or Diamond (100k Status miles), 1) your miles wouldn't expire (not an option on CX AT ALL). and 2) you have a gift - one of which is to gift the same status to a "partner", or you can get some cash coupons to name some FT-related options. Also, there's a trick to get a psuedo lifetime status so when you switch jobs or travel less, you would be able to keep some status. Of course, whilst you are doing this you will miss out on AA/AS miles because you have to credit them to JL.

Quarterly JL sin-tyo-sin gets you enough JL-metal status miles for Diamond anyways. plus a few trips to USA (on CX) you'll be emerald in no time. you get bonus RDM with status too and can also opt for crediting AA/AS for your additional trips beyond Emerald. JL Metal status miles is usually the harder part of the requirement but you are very much clear of that.

To put things in perspective, you get 9500ish miles for a 1way SINHND on JL metal crediting to JL as a JL Diamond, on CX you get 4114 AM. the redeem table may not be as generous as times but it's not exactly doubled on that end so you may just be better off.

Last edited by kaka; Jan 30, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.