Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Apple flies United but would prefer to fly Cathay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

As part of the revelation about UAs top corporate accounts, although Apple is directed to fly UA, unsurprisingly they would rather fly CX:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/20...ed-staff-apple

They fly other airlines when those 50 seats are already full, and that’s not uncommon. They also apparently fly a ton on Cathay Pacific because it’s a nicer experience than United.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:00 pm

This doesn't surprise me, and might account in part for United's pick up in stock performance
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Of course, CX requires a connection at HKG whereas UA flies nonstop to TPE, PVG and other Chinese cities from SFO. I'd certainly hate to fly UA's old J sardine can 2-4-2 seats compared to CX's 1-2-1 reverse herringbone cabins.
prw555 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There always seem to be a bunch of Apple/Google types whenever I fly HKG-SFO. I can certainly imagine going out of my way to avoid UA, as a matter of fact I do go out of my way most of the time when flying PVG-SFO to avoid UA
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Personally, while I understand that Apple staff prefer to fly CX over UA, I sincerely hope that they will continue to fly with UA as much as possible, so that the CX J and F cabins ex-SFO won't be filled up by these Apple Genius Bar chaps on every flight...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:34 am

The new UA Polaris seat was a huge improvement comparing to the past though.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Continue to off topic : Finally understand why HK is among the first destination to get Polaris (to avoid further revenue loss to CX)
royng likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I don't know how apple works but presumably similar to other US corps when it comes to travel. Firm policy is there but you can choose a different airline as long as you can come up with an excuse. I suspect 2-4-2 vs. 1-2-1 may not be a valid reason but it's apple so you never know. My firm is listed on the banner but I never flew UA for international flights. My reason for not wanting to fly UA on this trip to India (I needed an excuse for choosing non-approve airline) is that UA requires domestic connection at BOM/DEL. BA and EK are approved airlines for us (CX is not) but BA was full and I got around EK (which at USD 3.5k was less than half of what CX was charging) by claiming I didn't feel comfortable transitting at DXB ...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Rivarix
I don't know how apple works but presumably similar to other US corps when it comes to travel. Firm policy is there but you can choose a different airline as long as you can come up with an excuse. I suspect 2-4-2 vs. 1-2-1 may not be a valid reason but it's apple so you never know. My firm is listed on the banner but I never flew UA for international flights. My reason for not wanting to fly UA on this trip to India (I needed an excuse for choosing non-approve airline) is that UA requires domestic connection at BOM/DEL. BA and EK are approved airlines for us (CX is not) but BA was full and I got around EK (which at USD 3.5k was less than half of what CX was charging) by claiming I didn't feel comfortable transitting at DXB ...
Similar for me transatlantic, where we were tied to AA unless timing or availability was an issue. Really silly as most of my flights were in the other direction, so I had free reign! I'm sure the Apple guys do the same.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
For several years when I was a road warrior I managed to persuade my employers that oneworld Explorer (RTW) tickets made more sense than roundtrip business class tickets from HK to Europe or the US (the OWE was extraordinarily good value in those days). As a result I got an extra 14 or more flights per trip for vacation or mileage running just for the cost of the taxes! Happy memories!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.