Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Almost 6 months after Asiamiles devaluation...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Almost 6 months after Asiamiles devaluation...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by toplayer
Yes, would prefer this as I can get some SQ status quite easily and this is somewhere my family needs to be at least once a year. But are the redemption issues just as bad as CX? It isn't about the cost as long as not too crazy, just availability. (This is what is really disappointing about CX/Asia Miles. I fly a ton, spend a ton and also spend a ton on flying, so earn a lot of points/miles. Shouldn't CX/Asia Miles be incentivizing us to earn more by spending/flying more on CX and its partners by giving us more ways to use the points/miles, rather than shut off avenues to spend and doing the opposite? This is like what happened with MPC a few years ago when I moved over to BAEC and never looked back, flying all sorts of (mainly) Oneworld airlines away from CX, almost always in paid J for work and pleasure. Now I may just dump CX/Oneworld altogether if all the points/miles I earned end up being useless. Status is one thing but the ability to burn what you earn is more important in my book. I don't understand this company.)

I am also exploring Skyteam options ex-HKG but it looks paltry.

Sorry for going OT!
no i find SQ to be relatively generous with their members with reasonable burn rates. and also more so if you are PPS.

cx is being stingy to both partners + its own members (well they do reserve some seats for their own members, but it is materially worse than before).

i heard its because of they hired some QF person to run their loyalty program. QF have a rubbish loyalty program - easy to earn but lousy to burn in premium cabins.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I have tried two redemption trips since the devaluation and it was significantly more difficult -- and expensive. I saw no evidence of increased availability; quite the contrary.
I only look for business class roundtrip from North America. So perhaps there is increased availability in coach?
I think CX/AM is making AA and Avios redemption more difficult on certain routes/dates so on a relative basis, CX can claim AM is more valuable/has better availability. Of course that's not what we think when CX says additional availability ...
I noticed this several months ago and tested it again yesterday for HKG-CGK (J). No availability the week before CNY for AA and Avios redemption but plenty when using AM. CX uses married segment logic to 'block' both AA and Avios redemption because there are plenty of availability (5 J seats) when I asked for TPE-CGK. So no 'real' blocking but by limiting/making AA and Avios redemption more difficult, CX can claim there's increase availability for AM (on a relative basis). On this one route anyway ...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
CX is not santa claus
Availability one day a year and difficult to contact, I'd say they are pretty similar.
christep likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:03 pm

sorry I use to have a lot of Asia miles . acct dormant for 6 to 7 years years

1- I know my old acct is worthless. I have no access to that email address.
2-I see an award chart ( it;s surprisingly transparent and completely detailed. IS the link below current?????
3- I have a lot of AA miles , maybe 700K ( also one world)
4- I was thinking of redeeming IHG points at an effective rate of 1.67 miles per Asia Miles. I note that they have addition reward partners besides American , altthough one world is obviously somewhat redundant. Would you do this transfer of 100K IHG points ON A SPECULATIVE BASIS??? I can always replace the IHG points.
5- I recall that Asiamiles was very tedious to deal with. Only Avios was worst. lets just say they were not in London.
https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...lesawardschart

do other quality carriers -- for United I have a strong dislike for them and I have no use for more American Miles.
I'm only using American as an example as I know the fare basis classes,
If a T class set is available in economy , does that mean its available using Asia miles?
or do they have there own inventory

Can premium cabins be gotten on short notice.?
Thank you to all for you kind answers.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
moving miles to a not so active ffp on a speculative basis is asking for trouble down the line, and avios is better than asiamiles.

that aside i would not move ihg-am unless u hv something in mind
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:31 pm

It's crazy Avios can redeem CX + BA married segment but AM returned zero seat with same itinerary. Don't know what AM is thinking.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:05 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by rickywk
It's crazy Avios can redeem CX + BA married segment but AM returned zero seat with same itinerary. Don't know what AM is thinking.
Which flight?

Anything BAEC can get, AM can also get. Just that you have to look in Tailored.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Which flight?

Anything BAEC can get, AM can also get. Just that you have to look in Tailored.
HKG->LHR->CPH (CX operated HKG->LHR)
Avios can redeem, but AM said flight full. I little bit drilled down and trying search HKG->LHR->ZRH, same result.
Funny enough.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by rickywk
HKG->LHR->CPH (CX operated HKG->LHR)
Avios can redeem, but AM said flight full. I little bit drilled down and trying search HKG->LHR->ZRH, same result.
Funny enough.
LHR-CPH/LHR-ZRH has preferential BA availability?

What about HKG-LHR taking in isolation?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
For me, what made AM totally worthless now is HK allowing fuel surcharges on tickets and AM probably was heavily lobbying for this to happen.

As an example, there were some HKG-KIX tickets available for 3.3k cash round trip. If you want to redeem miles, it will cost you 20k AM and 1k in fuel surcharges. The HKG-Japan routes were specifically pointed out by AM as an example of a "better" change. What a joke.

The dumbest thing is crude went from $50/bbl to $70/bbl and CX/AM cried foul. A few months later, it reversed from $70/bbl to $50/bbl with CX pocketing the fuel surcharges. I worry about the potential impending doom of HK Airlines because this monopolistic behavior will further go unchecked without a viable competitor.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
LHR-CPH/LHR-ZRH has preferential BA availability?

What about HKG-LHR taking in isolation?
Yup, LHR-CPH/ZRH BA wide open, AM can also redeem it.
But if HKG-LHR only, both Avios and AM not able to redeem it
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by triplefives
For me, what made AM totally worthless now is HK allowing fuel surcharges on tickets and AM probably was heavily lobbying for this to happen.

As an example, there were some HKG-KIX tickets available for 3.3k cash round trip. If you want to redeem miles, it will cost you 20k AM and 1k in fuel surcharges. The HKG-Japan routes were specifically pointed out by AM as an example of a "better" change. What a joke.

The dumbest thing is crude went from $50/bbl to $70/bbl and CX/AM cried foul. A few months later, it reversed from $70/bbl to $50/bbl with CX pocketing the fuel surcharges. I worry about the potential impending doom of HK Airlines because this monopolistic behavior will further go unchecked without a viable competitor.
there had always been YQ on ex HKG tickets. its just now its unregulated.
but yeh, i agree with you.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives

JAL fuel charge in HKG-TYO route even higher than CX, CAD sucks.
kaka and royng like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Recently saw someone post on IG that while BA shows availability for HKG-HND-HKG, CX doesn't....how is that even possible!?!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:05 pm

JL now shows up online (I was searching for one-ways). Does it mean AM now allows one-way JL redemptions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.