Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Almost 6 months after Asiamiles devaluation...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

Almost 6 months post-devaluation...I still can't feel the additional 20% increase in seat availability for redemption.

Case in point I bought a revenue ticket to Tokyo from Manila for August 21, that's about 200 days from now...but they cannot confirm any companion redemption at the time being.

Looking at the seat maps...I'm basically the only passenger on the flight...(of course there might be others who did not ASR)

Checking EF all flights are have J9 C9 D9 I9....I've sent an email to Marco Polo Club but the refused to clear my waitlist.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:29 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Agreed. And what’s with the married segment availability? There seems to be a lot of availability for non Hong Kong members...is this how they fudged the 20%?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Agreed. And what’s with the married segment availability? There seems to be a lot of availability for non Hong Kong members...is this how they fudged the 20%?
its the same availability for both HKG-TYO and the MNL-HKG-TYO....which makes it more annoying.

It would be cheaper to fly direct to NRT on JL from MNL and just redeem on JL using AM. The AS website showing a lot of availability.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Almost 6 months post-devaluation...I still can't feel the additional 20% increase in seat availability for redemption.

Case in point I bought a revenue ticket to Tokyo from Manila for August 21, that's about 200 days from now...but they cannot confirm any companion redemption at the time being.

Looking at the seat maps...I'm basically the only passenger on the flight...(of course there might be others who did not ASR)

Checking EF all flights are have J9 C9 D9 I9....I've sent an email to Marco Polo Club but the refused to clear my waitlist.
Same! I have been wait-listed on HKG-SYD companion redemption for over a month now. All 4 flights in and outbound currently showing J9 C9 D9 I9 on EF and yet it has not been cleared. My personal experience so far suggested that it is much harder to get award seats contrary to what the revamp program said with 20% additional award seats being made available.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: MP, BR
The only "additional" availability I've seen is for last minute flights. I have redeemed HKG-TPE flights at T-48, and there were HKG-TYO J availability about T-72 just before Xmas.
sscywong likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

that is horrible.
previously noticed if I was available, companion award would be available..
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by sxc
i have noticed that married segments availability. do not apply to MPC / AM members. Only to OW partners

e.g. you can maybe get SIN-xHKG-TPE, but if you search for that route in AM, you actually come up with a donut! in that regard, MPC/AM is much worse.

On the other hand, some direct O&D routes are available for AM members but not OW partners, especially in the J cabins.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Notwithstanding the in increase in miles requirement for long haul Upgrade Awards that I use frequently, over the last month I am running into multiple instances where waitlisting for Upgrade Awards were closed (no matter what the selling loads were). If this continues I have to seriously consider moving my miles/business from AM/CX.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Got this reply for the Marco Polo Club

We do appreciate the importance members place on being able to redeem award seats. However, availability is subject to a number of factors, in particular, time of year, routing and even time of day. If a flight is forecasted to be full, fewer award seats will be allocated. Seat availability also varies from flight to flight due to a number of factors including our members' behaviour, seasonality, market demand and the airlines' capacity.

Redemption seats are often secured well in advance of a flight's scheduled travel date but further award seats could be released closer to departure when passengers firm up travel plans and change bookings.
I guess they are just wiping out all award availability because August is a peak season....seems most of the dates during that month are only available via Business Tailored rates....

Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
"Members' behaviour"?

What does that mean??
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
"Members' behaviour"?

What does that mean??
I guess if they notice that many members redeem on a certain flight they can push for higher redemption rates to get more money.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:25 pm

Before devaluation, maybe 4 Business seat released

after devaluation,+20% which mean 20% more than 4 seats? Which is around 4.8 seats. I dun think CX mean to say additional 20% of the air craft capacity to be released under award?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
"Members' behaviour"?

What does that mean??
Wow. I wonder whether it is why I am unable to get any availabilities (including unable to waitlist) for upgrade because CX notices that I keep using my miles on the Upgrades (rather than buying).

At the same time I have a hard time believing that CX IT has the ability to implement stuff like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Originally Posted by etkuo

At the same time I have a hard time believing that CX IT has the ability to implement stuff like this.
Perhaps it is because CX IT is spending all their time implementing these and THEREFORE all other IT issues remain unresolved..
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by sxc
"Members' behaviour"?

What does that mean??
It is whether you have been naughty or nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.