Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flight cancellation - MEL to HKG causing 9 hour transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Our CX flight from Melb to Seattle on 22 May 2019 was cancelled; specifically, the flight from Melb to HK was cancelled. CX changed the flight to 21 May departing 23:40 will result in a 9 hours transit in HK. The air tickets we purchased has a 2 hours transit and, understandably due to the short connection time, the air ticket cost much more than air ticket that has a 9 hour transit time. By the way, CX did not contact the passengers; it was only when I logged into CX website that I discovered the change. By changing our departure time to 21 May at 23:40 and a long 9 hour connection time, CX refused to provide us with hotel accommodation and meals. Whilst I understand flight cancellation is not unusual, however, my question is can CX refuse to provide compensation in the form of hotel and meals?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. Depending on the circumstances, it may. Why was the MEL-HKG segment cancelled? Has your travel insurance refused as well?

If there was a cheaper alternative, you were entitled to cancel your CX ticket for a full refund due to the lengthy delay and could have purchased the new tickets and saved some money. If you did not, that was your choice.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
it is not unusual that an airline changes its frequency and flight schedules 5 month ahead. That is a problem when buying ticket so far ahead.
It would be useful to know what were your original flights.
CX has a nonstop service to SEA 4 times a week and not on Wednesday. But you can fly on Tuesday 21 on CX104 departing at 2:20pm with a 2h connection to nonstop CX858. You have to find the flights that fit you best and ask CX for them. Or ask for refund without fee of your ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I agree with brunos. We need to know your original flights. There is no HKG-SEA flight on 22 May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.