Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I swap seats to F if I'm in J...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Hi All,
Pretty new to the points/miles game--have started accruing CC pts 2 yrs ago (USA) and currently starting with airline miles. So far, have only made one international redemption for 2 J's. Flying F with CX, JAL, & SIN are amongst my bucket list. Due to the fact our child will be age 2 soon, and that CX doesn't normally release 2, much less 3 F's, the thought came to mind: would I be able to swap seats with my spouse (in F) if I'm booked in J for parts of the flight? Any experiences or feedbacks would be much appreciated---and not just for CX but for any other airlines you've had experiences with. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
No. As far as I know no airline out there allows such swap mid-flight.

Don't try to do this. You can easily find tons of such "fight (not flight) reports" resulting from mid-flight cross-cabin attemp
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:53 am

sscywong is correct - you can usually swap when boarding but usually that is it. The person in the higher cabin is welcome to come visit the other person in the lower cabin, but not the other way around.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I've swapped seats with my husband in Y (I was J). The attendand said it was fine once only. Not multiple times. Having said that they are usually always friendlier when infants are involved. (And I'm Diamond which may have helped).
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I've swapped seats with my husband in Y (I was J). The attendand said it was fine once only. Not multiple times. Having said that they are usually always friendlier when infants are involved. (And I'm Diamond which may have helped).
It is usually better to swap when boarding instead of mid-flight. I did it once mid-flight when I was DM. The ISM Oked that when I boarded the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:46 pm

I've seen it happen at boarding but some carriers are very strict about mid-air transfers. I think this is more so since 9/11
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I see. Thanks all for taking the time to inform! Much appreciated!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It is usually better to swap when boarding instead of mid-flight.
How does that allow each partner to enjoy half the flight in the better class?

(In other words, it doesn't achieve the objective of the swap - at least the one I did and perhaps the OP).

I'm not sure you need to flag the change planned later when boarding, although shortly after when they come and introduce themselves is probably good. I use the "is there anything else I can help you with" part of the introduction as a nice hook for things like this!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Depending on the route and inventory, I’ve seen CX release as many as 4 and even 5 F award seats close in. Just keep checking inside 10-14 days and up until departure.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: A3 G CZ S
Originally Posted by lowfareair
sscywong is correct - you can usually swap when boarding but usually that is it. The person in the higher cabin is welcome to come visit the other person in the lower cabin, but not the other way around.

But actually, for CX F class passenger, it's allowed to invite one partner in lower class to share dinner (if the rule hasn't been change)
In deed, dinner time only, and it's not expected to swap seat after that
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jansoncheng
But actually, for CX F class passenger, it's allowed to invite one partner in lower class to share dinner (if the rule hasn't been change)
Really? I thought it was never allowed.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: A3 G CZ S
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Really? I thought it was never allowed.

Learned from some report quite a long time ago, not sure how it works now, maybe is an exceptional case
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

You can give your meal to your lower class friend if you decide not to eat, however the friend has to have the meal in his/her own seat.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

In my experience this is completely inaccurate advice. I'm not saying it's never happened, but in too many CX F flights to count (50+. Not sure if I'm at 100 yet, but I think over 50) I have never seen someone join for a meal, ever. I have seen people ask on multiple occasions, and denied is the result almost every time. In one occasion a gentlemen asked to have his friend join from the back. The ISM did permit it, provided he ate and drank nothing. They played cards for an hour and frankly it was a little anmoying they we're on 1A, I was in 2A.

I learned from some report quite a long time ago, not sure how it works now, maybe is an exceptional case
It probably has happened, for sure. But it is definitely not the norm, nor has it ever been in the decade+ I've been flying CX F.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
You can give your meal to your lower class friend if you decide not to eat, however the friend has to have the meal in his/her own seat.
This is correct. I had an associate in PEY on a flight from the US earlier this year. I told the SP I didn't feel like caviar that flight. She proactively offered to bring it back to PEY during meal time, and did. (She knew we were together because we boarded together and she took a picture of him in my F seat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.