Search

BA Gold to CX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
BA Gold to CX

Hello all.

I am about to achieve BA gold status which is exciting but as it turns out I will be flying CX more in the coming 12 months. Would Cathay be able to offer any Marco Club status in part exchange of BA Gold? I just thought I would ask.

Thank you.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by Alan Nevin
Hello all.

I am about to achieve BA gold status which is exciting but as it turns out I will be flying CX more in the coming 12 months. Would Cathay be able to offer any Marco Club status in part exchange of BA Gold? I just thought I would ask.

Thank you.
They don't do matches. There was a thread on here a while back, but can't seemingly find it. Be aware. Say to get gold (sapphire) it is not just 600 points. It is 900, as get reset at 300 for silver.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:20 pm

They did match me to MPC Silver when I requested 2 years back on account of my BA Gold and TK Gold. No harm trying. Honestly I never once used the Silver as it wasn’t compelling enough - preferring to do 4 qualifying BA flights to retain BA Gold.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
They did match me to MPC Silver when I requested 2 years back on account of my BA Gold and TK Gold. No harm trying. Honestly I never once used the Silver as it wasn’t compelling enough - preferring to do 4 qualifying BA flights to retain BA Gold.
+1 BA Gold is pretty easy to snag, the points are more useful, and the benefits are almost as good as CX Diamond (sans op ups).
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
+1 BA Gold is pretty easy to snag, the points are more useful, and the benefits are almost as good as CX Diamond (sans op ups).
For the points: Yes

Though to qualify for status, you need to fly 4 sectors on BA metal each year, which might ruin the BA opportunity for many people outside EU.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
To the OP why do you think you want to start getting status on CX? Have you calculated whether your travel pattern will allow you to get the status that you want?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cambo
For the points: Yes

Though to qualify for status, you need to fly 4 sectors on BA metal each year, which might ruin the BA opportunity for many people outside EU.
Taking 4 flights on BA metal during the course of a YEAR is not especially challenging.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Taking 4 flights on BA metal during the course of a YEAR is not especially challenging.
From the UK not at all, neither from outstations with a serious BA coverage.

Though the moment you aren't really "inside" the BA network span and not traveling to the UK, your options do get pretty limited.

So, yes, I agree with you, though it highly depends on the individual situation, so better be aware of the BA condition.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Hello all.

Thank you.
Marco Polo Club just allowed me to direct entry as Silver (I am currently BA Silver), I had ask for Gold.
Nearly the same as you, I have been flying much more CX/KA in the past 24 months and this pattern should continue for the time being.
This is what they asked me:
- statements from all relevant Frequent Flyer accounts (last 12 months)
- list of the last 12 months flights on CX/KA that are not listed onto Executive Club account
- list of future flights on CX/KA
- Asia Miles membership number
Everything was pretty quick, I sent my first request on 27th December, got the reply on 31st, sent the required documentation (in JPG) on 2nd January, got the enrollment and Silver status on 3rd January.

My best of luck and Happy New Year
Ulxima
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by ulxima
Marco Polo Club just allowed me to direct entry as Silver (I am currently BA Silver), I had ask for Gold.
Nearly the same as you, I have been flying much more CX/KA in the past 24 months and this pattern should continue for the time being.
- list of the last 12 months flights on CX/KA that are not listed onto Executive Club account
Everything was pretty quick, I sent my first request on 27th December, got the reply on 31st, sent the required documentation (in JPG) on 2nd January, got the enrollment and Silver status on 3rd January.

Ulxima
Congratulations.

Suggestion: First finish your BA Gold, which gives you OWE. It'll take a while to grow from MPC SI to MPC GO and then to MPC DM.

Nowadays (since the big revamp, 2 years ago), MPC seems to be pretty generous doing status match or even a spontaneous offer for MPC Status. I myself got offered MPC Gold, without even asking for it, or signing up for MPC.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Wow. Thank you all for all your feedback!!

My reason for asking the question is that I may be relocating to HK later in the year so I figure it may be best to look at options with CX. Yes the OWE is fantastic but I figure I may have better Op Ups with CX status. Anymore feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ulxima

Ulxima

Hey. Who did you cantact with your initial query regarding CX status? Thank you
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Just to say BA you need to fly 4 qualifying flights on BA codes that don’t have to be on BA metal contest to what was posted above.

There are advantages and disadvantages with switching, I’d weigh them up carefully before deciding what’s important to me.

nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Cambo
Nowadays (since the big revamp, 2 years ago), MPC seems to be pretty generous doing status match or even a spontaneous offer for MPC Status. I myself got offered MPC Gold, without even asking for it, or signing up for MPC.
Yes. CX really want to get frequent flyers back.
Since 2015 program change announcement, I have never credited my Oneworld flights to CX.
However, in 2018, CX sent me a Diamond membership card which is valid through 2020 (i.e. 24 months validity).
Even, they sent a celebration messeage for 20th anniversary from my joining.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Hey. Who did you cantact with your initial query regarding CX status? Thank you
I just sent an e-mail to "theclubATcathaypacific.com".

Ciao
U

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.