Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Adding a stopover in HKG (24 hr+) and changing any dates as needed for either segment has been successful for me on two occasions (per some discussion in the MR forum). Was charged $100 + $15.xx for the 120HKD Departure Tax from the stopover creation by US Call Center.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:01 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by swgsword
Adding a stopover in HKG (24 hr+) and changing any dates as needed for either segment has been successful for me on two occasions (per some discussion in the MR forum). Was charged $100 + $15.xx for the 120HKD Departure Tax from the stopover creation.
Did you add a stop over on the outbound direction? My fare rules prohibit it.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
No, it was for inbound. If you haven't flown the outbound, have you tried just adding a stopover on the inbound, and then also changing the outbound flights?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by swgsword
No, it was for inbound. If you haven't flown the outbound, have you tried just adding a stopover on the inbound, and then also changing the outbound flights?
No, I haven't tried that yet. I've got the added challenge of Expedia-issued tickets (yeah yeah, I know...big mistake). I should have some time today to work on this issue. I'm also in HKG at the moment and was considering dropping by the CX ticket office in TST to see if they can help me look for VN POS inventory.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:34 am

a
Originally Posted by Roaming Ryan
No, I haven't tried that yet. I've got the added challenge of Expedia-issued tickets (yeah yeah, I know...big mistake). I should have some time today to work on this issue. I'm also in HKG at the moment and was considering dropping by the CX ticket office in TST to see if they can help me look for VN POS inventory.
So the ticket office was actually closed today in TST due to the Easter holiday. Since I was headed to HKIA anyways, I dropped by the CX ticket counter at the airport (check-in column A). They made it abundantly clear that they were unable to help with any questions or changes concerning my "special fare" are referred me back to the travel agent. Expectations were low, so I guess I wasn't let down by the experience.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:44 pm

Did you purchase your original ticket directly through CX or Expedia/Orbitz? I purchased mine from Orbitz, tried to change the date but wasn't successful. Any tips? Many thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:47 pm

So no way to change the ticket if purchased outside of CX website?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: delta skymiles SM
Originally Posted by myairr
So no way to change the ticket if purchased outside of CX website?
The fare rules say yes but I am running into Expedia telling me no, having Expedia call CX, then having CX tell Expedia no. I continually quote the fare rules back to them and specify where is says that it can be changed as long as same class of service is available, send screenshots of expert flyer showing the fare class availability, and still get told no.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by swbink02
The fare rules say yes but I am running into Expedia telling me no, having Expedia call CX, then having CX tell Expedia no. I continually quote the fare rules back to them and specify where is says that it can be changed as long as same class of service is available, send screenshots of expert flyer showing the fare class availability, and still get told no.
How are you seeing Vietnam point-of-sale availability on EF?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by danger
How are you seeing Vietnam point-of-sale availability on EF?
I am not seeing VN POS specifically. Just utilizing ExpertFlyer to look at inventory. I don't know if there is a way to see Vietnam POS on expert flyer. As my ticket was bought on Expedia, I haven't tried to check CX website for VN POS b/c I keep getting told that my "travel agent (Expedia)" is the one that handles the changes. Not CX directly.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:09 am

I am not seeing VN POS specifically. Just utilizing ExpertFlyer to look at inventory. I don't know if there is a way to see Vietnam POS on expert flyer. As my ticket was bought on Expedia, I haven't tried to check CX website for VN POS b/c I keep getting told that my "travel agent (Expedia)" is the one that handles the changes. Not CX directly.
But I am open to suggestions/advice if anyone has had luck with changing a ticket purchased on an OTA without a reprice. I am looking to change the return in November to December. Seeing tons of availability but not having any luck. I have HUCA prolly half a dozen times and each time I get told no.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is a general rule that an airline cannot touch a ticket issued by a TA before the first segment has been flown. No hope there. No need to keep asking CX.

And Expedia are probably helpless in finding days, if any, where there would be availability..
My only suggestion is that you do your own research and propose a date change to Expedia.
If I were in your shoes, I would first try to find a desired date when there is high availability on both the Vietnam leg (in biz) and the US leg (in A). That would increase the probability that there is VN POS availability.
Then I would go to the CX.vn website and see if it can price a ticket in A (cheap First class). That would suggest that there is availability with VN POS.
Then I would call expedia and see if they are willing to make that change.
But expedia might have specific rules/instructions. Would have been a bit easier to book directly with CX.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by brunos
It is a general rule that an airline cannot touch a ticket issued by a TA before the first segment has been flown. No hope there. No need to keep asking CX.

And Expedia are probably helpless in finding days, if any, where there would be availability..
My only suggestion is that you do your own research and propose a date change to Expedia.
If I were in your shoes, I would first try to find a desired date when there is high availability on both the Vietnam leg (in biz) and the US leg (in A). That would increase the probability that there is VN POS availability.
Then I would go to the CX.vn website and see if it can price a ticket in A (cheap First class). That would suggest that there is availability with VN POS.
Then I would call expedia and see if they are willing to make that change.
But expedia might have specific rules/instructions. Would have been a bit easier to book directly with CX.
Brunos,

Thank you for the advice. Question for you: My outbound from HAN-JFK is this summer (July). The return is in November. Would CX be more willing to help me with changes AFTER I fly the first leg if I am only wanting to change the return? Lots of time between July and November to work on this. Just trying to be proactive and not wait until the last minute. Advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:41 am

most likely CX created a special subclass for this mistake fares. So whatever A fare availabily u see are of no use. Whatever dates available for changes (at no upcharge) should be from those cancelled tickets only. So very limited availability.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

most likely CX created a special subclass for this mistake fares. So whatever A fare availabily u see are of no use. Whatever dates available for changes (at no upcharge) should be from those cancelled tickets only. So very limited availability.
So CX just making rules up as the go?? What the hell is the point of honoring the fare if you are not gonna follow the rules of the stated fair that they made in the first place? Evidently this is an issue for people booked with OTA's. I have read accounts of people who booked directly with CX having more luck changing when there is equivalent fare class availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.