Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by brunos
It is a general rule that an airline cannot touch a ticket issued by a TA before the first segment has been flown. No hope there. No need to keep asking CX.

And Expedia are probably helpless in finding days, if any, where there would be availability..
My only suggestion is that you do your own research and propose a date change to Expedia.
If I were in your shoes, I would first try to find a desired date when there is high availability on both the Vietnam leg (in biz) and the US leg (in A). That would increase the probability that there is VN POS availability.
Then I would go to the CX.vn website and see if it can price a ticket in A (cheap First class). That would suggest that there is availability with VN POS.
Then I would call expedia and see if they are willing to make that change.
But expedia might have specific rules/instructions. Would have been a bit easier to book directly with CX.
I purchased the ticket through Orbitz and I have already flown the outbound segment, can I now ask CX to change the date for my inbound segment? My original inbound is coming (this Saturday night), and any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
most likely CX created a special subclass for this mistake fares. So whatever A fare availabily u see are of no use.
Not even close to being true. Point of Sale (POS) is the issue as explained repeatedly in this thread. Expertflyer doesn’t offer Vietnam POS data and therefore is not a relevant point of reference in this situation.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by swbink02
So CX just making rules up as the go??
Again, no. Follow the suggestions in recent posts about how to find inventory. Don’t waste time with your usual sources.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by brunos
Then I would go to the CX.vn website and see if it can price a ticket in A (cheap First class). That would suggest that there is availability with VN POS.
This.

Create an ex VN itinerary and play around with the segments HKG-NA or vv as needed for the target dates

Last edited by jagmeets; Apr 25, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum, Hertz Platinum, Avis PC, Sixt Diamond
Did CX zeroed out all NA-HKG A availability for VN POS? I can't seem to find any.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Question: When are these fares expiring / rolling off?

I'm curious to know roughly when is the end of these mistake fares *in first class*, from a timing perspective? What I mean is, what was ticket validity (for both sectors), and essentially what is the ending date for these mistake first class fares? I was always assuming December, 2019 was when things would clear up again, but might it be sooner? Or later?

I've noticed A fare availability is back in bunches to North America (and I've successfully booked two sectors, something that was essentially impossible earlier in the year right after this mistake fare), but it still isn't available as abundantly as I'm familiar with in years past. And first class award availability is still totally shot to North America.

I'm curious for those of you who bought tickets, or are familiar with the validity / terms, can share some insights.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jun 16, 2019 at 10:10 pm Reason: edited to make clear I'm asking about F class in all paragraphs
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
award availability is still totally shot to North America.
I just booked a business class award HKG-JFK for July to return from Asia, from this fare. There were 4 award seats on my flight and seats on 2 other flights that same day.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by greendx
I just booked a business class award HKG-JFK for July to return from Asia, from this fare. There were 4 award seats on my flight and seats on 2 other flights that same day.
Politely, I am not inquiring about business class. But interesting data point. I've edited my post to make that more clear as I realize didn't explicitly say F.

I've bought F tickets to/from North America from CX for years, as well as burned quite a few award tickets, and it's without question first class availability has been significantly impacted, if your implication is otherwise. however I'm not as clear on business class and that's good to hear.

there was a point 5 months ago when CX essentially zeroed out all A fares to/from Hong Kong (!), which I had never in my decade or so of buying those tickets seen CX do. I ended up buying a few tickets on other carriers instead. However, our travel agent says availability has returned somewhat but not "all the way", to quote her email.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:18 pm

Politely, I am not inquiring about business class. But interesting data point. I've edited my post to make that more clear as I realize didn't explicitly say F.

I've bought F tickets to/from North America from CX for years, as well as burned quite a few award tickets, and it's without question first class availability has been significantly impacted, if your implication is otherwise. however I'm not as clear on business class and that's good to hear.

there was a point 5 months ago when CX essentially zeroed out all A fares to/from Hong Kong (!), which I had never in my decade or so of buying those tickets seen CX do. I ended up buying a few tickets on other carriers instead. However, our travel agent says availability has returned somewhat but not "all the way", to quote her email.
I didn't mean to imply that availability of award space and A fares is the same as it has been historically but I wanted to point out that award space does exist.

ETA: Regarding F award space, I didn't see it for my dates and haven't looked for F space on NYC/HKG route recently so don't have any data points to share.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
I'm curious to know roughly when is the end of these mistake fares *in first class*, from a timing perspective? What I mean is, what was ticket validity (for both sectors), and essentially what is the ending date for these mistake first class fares? I was always assuming December, 2019 was when things would clear up again, but might it be sooner? Or later?

I've noticed A fare availability is back in bunches to North America (and I've successfully booked two sectors, something that was essentially impossible earlier in the year right after this mistake fare), but it still isn't available as abundantly as I'm familiar with in years past. And first class award availability is still totally shot to North America.

I'm curious for those of you who bought tickets, or are familiar with the validity / terms, can share some insights.
My dates are for end Oct/early Nov. HAN-HKG-JFK, return on F. Selected these dates on Jan. 1 and seem to recall availability until end-Nov, but not beyond. Not 100% sure, though.

PS: Incidentally although I took advantage of this "mistake" fare I've been MPC GO for a long, long time and I was amused/excited and unsure if my booking would be honoured. Only had this one booking since, well, I have stuff to do! So not everyone who bought were travel hacks/grAAbers buying dozens of tickets!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

I am interested in the answer as well, although from a different perspective. I am a frequent HKG-DAD pax on KA J (usually awards). Availability had disappeared.
It still does not seem good.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
"A" class availability from DAD-JFK is wide open from March 2, 2020 onwards; it's practically non-existent prior to that.

I have one of these tickets, and the validity is one year from the date of the first sector. So for those who bought tickets departing Vietnam late 2019, they can still be changing dates well into 2020.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:19 am

I booked via Orbitz in D class. I'm seeing tons of date availability when I attempt to change the flight on the Orbitz site, but when I attempt to pay the change fee / finalize the changes it always errors out.

Is it possible to use ITA Matrix to correctly identify D (or A) VN POS availability by entering your departure city (Hanoi, Dad, etc.) in the "Sales city" field?

__
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by AJ747M
"A" class availability from DAD-JFK is wide open from March 2, 2020 onwards; it's practically non-existent prior to that.

I have one of these tickets, and the validity is one year from the date of the first sector. So for those who bought tickets departing Vietnam late 2019, they can still be changing dates well into 2020.
Thanks for the info
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by AJ747M

Were you able to make changes into 2020 prior to flying your first segment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.