Search

Sale?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Sale?

Hi

Were flying with virgin to Hong Kong 1st Nov, back 3rd Dec using air miles. In between we’re going to Brisbane and back to HK via Sydney. Looking at flights it’s very limited but Cathay seems to be a main one. Is there a better time to wait for a sale? We’re looking at premium economy for 4 people. Currently just under £1,200 each. Never flown with them before so don’t have any knowledge of them.

many thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:08 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
£1200 is about as cheap as it gets in premium economy on Cathay. You may find qantas to be a bit cheaper.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
£1200 is about as cheap as it gets in premium economy on Cathay. You may find qantas to be a bit cheaper.
thank you for the reply. Unfortunately Qantas isn’t showing premium seats on that flight. When I try to book direct it’s not an option or far more expensive for some reason.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You're trying to book too far ahead. I can't see any cheaper fares that far out, but, for example, if I want to fly HKG-Syd in March I can get round trips in business class for £1100 on Vietnam Airlines.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by christep
You're trying to book too far ahead. I can't see any cheaper fares that far out, but, for example, if I want to fly HKG-Syd in March I can get round trips in business class for £1100 on Vietnam Airlines.
Haply to be proven wrong but I don’t think premium economy gets much cheaper than $12k HKD to Australia.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I doubt that CX will have a sale and I doubt that you can get a cheaper price.
QF is usually significantly cheaper than CX ex-HKG, but it is much too early to get a good price.
QF flies an A330 without PE currently to BNE (sometimes 789 with PE), but the flight is 11 months away, equipment could well change.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sxc

Haply to be proven wrong but I don’t think premium economy gets much cheaper than $12k HKD to Australia.
SQ? If they don't mind going via Singapore.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, so are we better waiting to book?

we can’t actaully book our return flight yet ad it’s too early, but I’ll be able to in a few days (I’ve been looking at prices a week before). Looking at Hk to Brisbane 4th ish Nov and Sydney to Hk 1st Dec.

Should we wait a few weeks or months?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Cathay do have sale periods. You need to check frequently. There is one on now, but not for PE that far in advance. It is for Y however.

Given that you can choose day flights between the two, and the sale for Y is on currently for your dates, would you consider saving your cash for something more tangible than PE? It's only a circa 8 hour flight. I've found Cathay in Y very comfortable in the past and am looking forward to 4 sectors in a couple of months.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I personally look on Skyscanner first to find the cheapest/most convenient flight, but 3 times my CX flights were cheaper on Expedia than on Cathay's website.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Best way to book?

Further to my earlier question, we’ve now finalised our trip from the U.K. to Australia and back. We’re going to book Cathay from HK to Brisbane and then from Sydney back to HK. The HK to Brisbane is limited to only two flights - one with CP and one Qantas, so we’ll do CP both ways.

are we better to book direct with them or go through someone like Expedia? Direct it’s in HK dollars but I’d imagine it’s the same price?

‘’We want to book 3 economy and one premium. The economy has different levels on their website, but there’s not too much explanation of what they mean. Anyone got any experience? Many thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:21 pm

Given the mistake fare, do you think Cathay will try to recover some sales numbers by reducing sales?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.