Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dec 20 CX343 HKG-LGW diverted to LHR due to drones sighted near LGW runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Today's London Gatwick flight was diverted to London Heathrow as LGW was closed for several hours due to drones being spotted near the runway.

Does anyone know if the passengers were allowed to disembark and leave from LHR or will they have to wait until the plane can go to LGW? I hope they don't make them go by coach to LGW and then clear immigration etc.

If they do leave the plane at LHR is there any chance they would bus the passengers for today's return flight to LHR instead? Sounds like a cheaper option than moving the plane but I know logistics and logic aren't always the same.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:26 am

Common sense should prevail here. Agree with you and ideally the crew and passengers are released in LHR and a coach organised to take anyone who wants to go to LGW. Meanwhile crew and passengers from LGW are taken to LHR and board the flight from there.

BBC are reporting that Eurocontrol expect to reopen the Gatwick runway at 11am local time. Let’s see what CX and Heathrow Airport can come up with...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by woobl
A friend is due to fly on CX354 LGW - HKG today but I doubt that will be happening now. She has a connection in HKG to SYD but that's out of the question now as well. She's at the airport, check in and airside but I can't seem them repositioning the aircraft anytime soon. I've told her to prepare for an EU261 claim...!
i guess the bus everyone to LHR was discounted then. Gatwick Airport website showing a retimed departure of 4pm.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I bumped into a friend in the CX lounge at LHR who went to catch the return flight from LGW and they rebooked him to HKG from LHR today.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:01 am
soy

Programs: various
I've told her to prepare for an EU261 claim...!
EU 261 will not apply as this will be classed as extraordinary circumstances completely outside the control of the airline - this was a malicious attack that is under police investigation
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Looks like the airport won't reopen until 4pm. The CX flights aren't even showing up on Gatwick's arrival/departure boards (unless I missed it!)

Cathay's website shows the diversion to LHR for CX343, but the departing CX354 is still showing with an estimated departure of 11.20am today!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:51 am

Looks like they rebook everyone on one of the LHR flights and will ferry back the aircraft without pax. On CX website regarding CX354 status there is a passenger advisory saying "Due to operational constraints, this flight will not be carrying passengers"

Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Looks like the airport won't reopen until 4pm. The CX flights aren't even showing up on Gatwick's arrival/departure boards (unless I missed it!)

Cathay's website shows the diversion to LHR for CX343, but the departing CX354 is still showing with an estimated departure of 11.20am today!
Now it says the flight will not carry passenger.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It's a sad reflection on the state of CX's business that they have room for a plane full of extra people at no notice in the prime week for moving between London and Hong Kong.

I have a few CX shares, but I wish I didn't - the business is obviously f**ked.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Carrier change and class downgrade due to LGW drone problem

A friend has had a day of it (as many other have) with today's drone issues at LGW. I'm trying to help her get some plans in place for a downgrade compensation claim and wonder if anyone has any advise. Basic info:

Initially flying LGW - SYD via HKG (CX0354/CX0139) in E (PE)

Moved to LHR-SYD via SIN (QF02) in Y

That's a downgrade from E to Y. Would this be something CX will contact her about automatically (within 7 days) for a refund of 75% of the base fare or should she make plans to pro-actively contact them?

Thanks in advance!

W
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVP
This is not really a downgrade. Your friend accepted the Y re-protection due to irregular ops beyond CX's control. The standard compensation does not apply.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Depends if she agreed to the downgrade to get on an earlier flight than waiting for the first available PE reroute
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Executive Club
A friend has had a day of it (as many other have) with today's drone issues at LGW. I'm trying to help her get some plans in place for a downgrade compensation claim and wonder if anyone has any advise. Basic info:

Initially flying LGW - SYD via HKG (CX0354/CX0139) in E (PE)

Moved to LHR-SYD via SIN (QF02) in Y

That's a downgrade from E to Y. Would this be something CX will contact her about automatically (within 7 days) for a refund of 75% of the base fare or should she make plans to pro-actively contact them?

Thanks in advance!

W
why would your friend be entitled to a 75% of the base fare refund? Was the fare difference 75%? For an issue completly out of the control of Cathay, in my opinion they did a pretty good job of getting your friend to her destination, admittedly not on cx metal nor in the original class of travel booked but I don’t think given the circumstances Cathay should take much aggro for that, certainly I would want some form of reimbursement for the fare difference but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ey fare on sq cost more than the PEY on CX!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your friend is entitled to a contractual refund of the fare difference, not the 75% of base segment fare under EC 261/2004.

She absolutely could have insisted on being rebooked onto the first service with PE availability. While I would have done the same unless it was a few hours of delay, rebooking in IRROPS does not strike me as a downgrade unless the operating carrier outright refused to let her wait.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Executive Club
The British CAA have already ruled that the Gatwick incident (rightly so in my opinion) is an extraordinary circumstance and therefore all airlines are not liable for compensation to passengers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.