Wiki Posts
Search

Should I switch my program?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL; Amex Plat
Should I switch my program?

Lifelong CX program participant, but the changes for the past few years caused many troubles. I recently relocated to Buffalo, NY for work. I will remain in the US for the next 2-3 years, about 9 more months in Buffalo. Currently having a tough time debating whether or not to switch from MPC to AAA (Yes, one of those ExPlat or OWE). With the amount of air traveling, I am at least a Sapphire in other programs, but CX has been especially tough. Now that I have fewer opportunities to enjoy the HKG lounges now, I'm unsure is it a good idea to switch up? I also banked a lot of credit card points from Amex Plat, so looking to utilize that with the right reward redemption program.

General travel picture:
1-2 Roundtrip flights from US - HKG per year (Econ/Prem)
1-2 major vacation flights, combine with some mileage runs.
5-10 US domestic flights for work/pleasure per year

I will manage to become CX Gold before the annual cycle. But should I spend my efforts building Exec Plat instead? Should I keep my Amex Plat card with limited Centurion Lounges around me? Should I stay in for at least another cycle with all miles savings and retain a gold status? Should I stay for CX upgrades?

Trekking back to the previous threads, seems like there is not much of a difference comparing with SL & GO members. Now that I'm not even based in Hong Kong, the benefits seems less attractive. However, GO do grant me a OWS and allow me to be in AA lounges in the US (I'm not 100% on this), but the Citi/ AAdvantage Executive World Elite CC could certainly do so. Tbh, FFP status in the US does not mean much aside from faster on board and lounges, op-ups are rare occurrences (at least in my own experience) and my AmexPlat are serving me well with Priority Lounges and Centurion Lounges here and there. My gut feeling is telling me to stay with MPC (maybe is a loyalty since birth, and a way to distinguish myself from the American Travelers), but I really want to hear from the MPC community for advises and opinions, I'm a newcomer in the forum, thanks for all the help so far!

Cheers,

Hugo
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hugotam0
Lifelong CX program participant, but the changes for the past few years caused many troubles. I recently relocated to Buffalo, NY for work. I will remain in the US for the next 2-3 years, about 9 more months in Buffalo. Currently having a tough time debating whether or not to switch from MPC to AAA (Yes, one of those ExPlat or OWE). With the amount of air traveling, I am at least a Sapphire in other programs, but CX has been especially tough. Now that I have fewer opportunities to enjoy the HKG lounges now, I'm unsure is it a good idea to switch up? I also banked a lot of credit card points from Amex Plat, so looking to utilize that with the right reward redemption program.

General travel picture:
1-2 Roundtrip flights from US - HKG per year (Econ/Prem)
1-2 major vacation flights, combine with some mileage runs.
5-10 US domestic flights for work/pleasure per year

I will manage to become CX Gold before the annual cycle. But should I spend my efforts building Exec Plat instead? Should I keep my Amex Plat card with limited Centurion Lounges around me? Should I stay in for at least another cycle with all miles savings and retain a gold status? Should I stay for CX upgrades?

Trekking back to the previous threads, seems like there is not much of a difference comparing with SL & GO members. Now that I'm not even based in Hong Kong, the benefits seems less attractive. However, GO do grant me a OWS and allow me to be in AA lounges in the US (I'm not 100% on this), but the Citi/ AAdvantage Executive World Elite CC could certainly do so. Tbh, FFP status in the US does not mean much aside from faster on board and lounges, op-ups are rare occurrences (at least in my own experience) and my AmexPlat are serving me well with Priority Lounges and Centurion Lounges here and there. My gut feeling is telling me to stay with MPC (maybe is a loyalty since birth, and a way to distinguish myself from the American Travelers), but I really want to hear from the MPC community for advises and opinions, I'm a newcomer in the forum, thanks for all the help so far!

Cheers,

Hugo
then join ba or aa, depending if u can fit 4 ba code per year. plenty people do the same
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:34 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaka

then join ba or aa, depending if u can fit 4 ba code per year. plenty people do the same
I agree. I was surprised how relatively easier it is to get OWE with BA compared to CX.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
However, GO do grant me a OWS and allow me to be in AA lounges in the US (I'm not 100% on this), but the Citi/ AAdvantage Executive World Elite CC could certainly do so. Tbh, FFP status in the US does not mean much aside from faster on board and lounges, op-ups are rare occurrences (at least in my own experience) and my AmexPlat are serving me well with Priority Lounges and Centurion Lounges here and there.
This is true but Citi does not get you into Flagship lounge, which is where the better part of lounge experiences is (still, can't even compare to HKG lounges).

Note that AA increases requirement to achieve OWE today for next year, so as others mentioned, BA might be a better go to - especially if you are confident you can achieve lifetime OWE (BA Gold)....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Be aware, that AA today increased minimum spend requirement for EXP (OWE) to $15k USD.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Ah yes, the perennial question whether to go with CX Gold/OWS or AA EXP/OWE.

First though, are you sure you will be able to attain either one in future years? From looking at the general travel pattern you mentioned above, you might be short for either CX Gold/OWS or AA EXP/OWE? As mentioned by others above, AA just announced a higher dollar-equivalent requirement so you may want to keep that in mind. Assuming you can attain either one, then the question is what you value more? It's different for everyone.

However, GO do grant me a OWS and allow me to be in AA lounges in the US (I'm not 100% on this), but the Citi/ AAdvantage Executive World Elite CC could certainly do so.
As mentioned by others above, Citicard only gives you access to admiral clubs while CX Gold gives you access to flagship lounge + admiral clubs. Furthermore, having that Citicard for lounge access is an additional expense that you don't need if you have CX Gold. On the other hand, when travelling internationally/abroad, AA OWE generally gives you access to a better lounge vs. CX OWS so keep that in mind.

Tbh, FFP status in the US does not mean much aside from faster on board and lounges, op-ups are rare occurrences (at least in my own experience)
True. You should probably ignore AA op-ups 'benefit' since it is unlikely to happen especially on popular routes since order is based on dollar-equivalent. Having said that, don't forget swu coupon. You probably won't be able to use it on LAX/DFW - HKG but i've had success in redeeming it for relatives to NRT (and then continuing in Y on JL to HKG) so something to keep in mind. Others can correct me on this but CX Gold upgrade to J to/from US on CX metals are somewhat slim to none these days?

my AmexPlat are serving me well with Priority Lounges and Centurion Lounges here and there.
Ya but you may want to check the airports you frequently visit because many times they are located at UA/DL terminals rather than AA ...

My gut feeling is telling me to stay with MPC (maybe is a loyalty since birth, and a way to distinguish myself from the American Travelers),
I know exactly what you're talking about. Change is scary and MPC is the devil you know but hey, you moved to buffalo so ....

If you're moving to AA you're starting from scratch so there will be a period when you have no status. Since you're up there for work, you may want to check with your HR/benefit team to see if they have AA corporate challenge (as opposed to the regular challenge that's open to everyone). Corporate challenge is free and it is usually around this time of the year. That should make the transition easier. Also don't forget the miles themselves. You may want to check how many miles you're going to earn with each FFP and compare it with the redemption chart. Generally speaking AA has a better earning/redemption ratio though depending on where/when you're going, AM/MPC could be a better option.

Btw, you mentioned you're going to be in buffalo for the next 2 to 3 years. What will happen after? If you're going back to HKG/Asia afterward, I'd say stick with MPC. If you're going to stay in US, you should probably consider switching to AA because in the long run, AA should better for you (based on your travel pattern and the fact that we're comparing CX OWS vs. AA OWE).

Others above have mentioned BA but BA requires you to fly BA metal/codeshare so not an option unless you're going to europe annually (and do 4 segments on BA).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Ah yes, the perennial question whether to go with CX Gold/OWS or AA EXP/OWE.

First though, are you sure you will be able to attain either one in future years? From looking at the general travel pattern you mentioned above, you might be short for either CX Gold/OWS or AA EXP/OWE? As mentioned by others above, AA just announced a higher dollar-equivalent requirement so you may want to keep that in mind. Assuming you can attain either one, then the question is what you value more? It's different for everyone.

As mentioned by others above, Citicard only gives you access to admiral clubs while CX Gold gives you access to flagship lounge + admiral clubs. Furthermore, having that Citicard for lounge access is an additional expense that you don't need if you have CX Gold. On the other hand, when travelling internationally/abroad, AA OWE generally gives you access to a better lounge vs. CX OWS so keep that in mind.

True. You should probably ignore AA op-ups 'benefit' since it is unlikely to happen especially on popular routes since order is based on dollar-equivalent. Having said that, don't forget swu coupon. You probably won't be able to use it on LAX/DFW - HKG but i've had success in redeeming it for relatives to NRT (and then continuing in Y on JL to HKG) so something to keep in mind. Others can correct me on this but CX Gold upgrade to J to/from US on CX metals are somewhat slim to none these days?

Ya but you may want to check the airports you frequently visit because many times they are located at UA/DL terminals rather than AA ...

I know exactly what you're talking about. Change is scary and MPC is the devil you know but hey, you moved to buffalo so ....

If you're moving to AA you're starting from scratch so there will be a period when you have no status. Since you're up there for work, you may want to check with your HR/benefit team to see if they have AA corporate challenge (as opposed to the regular challenge that's open to everyone). Corporate challenge is free and it is usually around this time of the year. That should make the transition easier. Also don't forget the miles themselves. You may want to check how many miles you're going to earn with each FFP and compare it with the redemption chart. Generally speaking AA has a better earning/redemption ratio though depending on where/when you're going, AM/MPC could be a better option.

Btw, you mentioned you're going to be in buffalo for the next 2 to 3 years. What will happen after? If you're going back to HKG/Asia afterward, I'd say stick with MPC. If you're going to stay in US, you should probably consider switching to AA because in the long run, AA should better for you (based on your travel pattern and the fact that we're comparing CX OWS vs. AA OWE).

Others above have mentioned BA but BA requires you to fly BA metal/codeshare so not an option unless you're going to europe annually (and do 4 segments on BA).
Great advice.
1)Yes. Regardless of status, op-up for ex-US flights are YMMV: route, time and load, only CX knows.
2)I would not consider OW F and J lounges differences are that big. J lounges are usually pretty good to start with, while F has some nice, but not must-have features which I can live without.
3)IIRC, BA's 4 segment requires BA flight number, so you can book AA-operated but BA marketed flight for example.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prw555
Be aware, that AA today increased minimum spend requirement for EXP (OWE) to $15k USD.
Duly noted!!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Note that AA increases requirement to achieve OWE today for next year, so as others mentioned, BA might be a better go to - especially if you are confident you can achieve lifetime OWE (BA Gold)....
How does BA compare with AA in terms of mileage redemptions? Are they still adding on surcharges on redemptions? AA's saver availability is pathetic (when comparing to UA) and redemptions on OW redemptions are generally on flights with unfavorable schedules. I think Asia Miles reserves a small amount of inventory before releasing it to the rest of OW.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rivarix

Yes currently on about 600 points for this annual cycle, unfortunately, I dropped down to Green last year with a mere miss of 5 points away, right now I'm back on SL with 400 points to GO. 100 points trip coming up in 2 weeks and a 260 points trip coming a month later, a few short flights should cover the rest.

You're right on with upgrades and Amex lounges. I'll be here for another 9 months and somewhere within the continental US for another 2-3 years. My company's preferred airline is United (not interested in StarAlliance), but hearing more about AA's new requirement seems infeasible. BA might be the solution!

Last edited by hugotam0; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Great advice.
1)Yes. Regardless of status, op-up for ex-US flights are YMMV: route, time and load, only CX knows.
2)I would not consider OW F and J lounges differences are that big. J lounges are usually pretty good to start with, while F has some nice, but not must-have features which I can live without.
3)IIRC, BA's 4 segment requires BA flight number, so you can book AA-operated but BA marketed flight for example.
I agree! Great advice from you as well.

I think BA is really the solution here with relatives in UK and also possible relocation to Europe after 2-3 years. With an achievable program in my budget and convenient outflying flights from YYZ is definitely encouraging. On top of all that I should start building my Lifetime status with BA before I return to MPC, which is a true value there!

My question now is how should I play with my MPC, should I complete my points to renew my SL and put it on holiday mode? Or dump my club points and focus all my contribution to BAEC?

My upcoming flight plans according to BEAC points:
My next 8 flights will be put me right on Gold with the spending of $6664. It's well worth it and I'll be OWE in less than 2 months! Just wow.

Same flight plans towards MPC:
I will be a few points off before GO

I guess the answer is clear, certainly going with BA and see ya later MPC.

Last edited by hugotam0; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:29 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
.....My upcoming flight plans according to BEAC points:
My next 8 flights will be put me right on Gold with the spending of $6664. It's well worth it and I'll be OWE in less than 2 months! Just wow........
Indeed wow, look how addictive the points/miles game is
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
My upcoming flight plans according to BEAC points:
My next 8 flights will be put me right on Gold with the spending of $6664. It's well worth it and I'll be OWE in less than 2 months! Just wow.
I hope you dont pay for it yourself. cuz this amount itself already can get you multiple OWE.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:00 am

Some information for you. The 4 qualifying flights can be any combination of BA, Iberia, Comair, Sunair, or BA codeshare on a Oneworld airline. They all count.

In addition, you can earn Avios and Tier points on Emirates, and KLM AMS-SIN if booked as a Qantas code share,These do not count for your qualifying flights. And in addition to all your usual Oneworld earning airlines will earn Avios and Tier points.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
I hope you dont pay for it yourself. cuz this amount itself already can get you multiple OWE.
While I think, it is possible to become OWE with some USD 3.5 - 4K, you certainly will need to be very, very lucky with your bookings.

For example, MH does does every now and then crazy mile earnings. Last month, they did have a week to earn triple miles: Book that week, fly before March 2019 and get triple miles. That way, a LH return in J from an el cheapo origin would earn you some 75K miles. Add some MH SH flights, maybe redirect some CX points there, and you have your OWE.

Though, that is a real exception, it's not that easy ......
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.