Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will I have access to the Wing or Pier on this reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold

I’m flying JFK-HKG-SIN with a stopover of 24-hours in HKG. JFK-HKG is in F while HKG-SIN is in J due to no F service offered. This is one reservation/PNR. Since I’m arriving in F will I have access the next day to the F lounges before my flight to SIN?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
I’m flying JFK-HKG-SIN with a stopover of 24-hours in HKG. JFK-HKG is in F while HKG-SIN is in J due to no F service offered. This is one reservation/PNR. Since I’m arriving in F will I have access the next day to the F lounges before my flight to SIN?
No. Same day = yes. Different day = no.

Same PNL irrelevant. 24 hours irrelevant.

Fwiw, it does seem to make a difference if you're on a cash vs award ticket. For award, CX seems to enforce the rules (which are as I posted above), based on many aneceotes we have in here. But I can confirm cash, non status pax ex-US getting the F lounge, so if you're on a cash ticket I think the answer is "possibly", and I think it's still a less possibility if you're on award, even if some folks have been denied. Your best chance is if they spit out a lounge pass for you in JFK. But based on the rules it's straightforward: no.

Fwiw, Pier J is probably the best J lounge anywhere. I have access to CX F lounges as Diamond, and skip Pier F in favor of Pier J on many occasions (including my last flight, on Thursday last week). So you won't be losing out if the answer is no.

And searching always appreciated...for award travel, I'm just repeating info from many other identical threads!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
No. Same day = yes. Different day = no.

Same PNL irrelevant. 24 hours irrelevant.

Fwiw, it does seem to make a difference if you're on a cash vs award ticket. For award, CX seems to enforce the rules (which are as I posted above), based on many aneceotes we have in here. But I can confirm cash, non status pax ex-US getting the F lounge, so if you're on a cash ticket I think the answer is "possibly", and I think it's still a less possibility if you're on award, even if some folks have been denied. Your best chance is if they spit out a lounge pass for you in JFK. But based on the rules it's straightforward: no.

Fwiw, Pier J is probably the best J lounge anywhere. I have access to CX F lounges as Diamond, and skip Pier F in favor of Pier J on many occasions (including my last flight, on Thursday last week). So you won't be losing out if the answer is no.

And searching always appreciated...for award travel, I'm just repeating info from many other identical threads!
Cash ticket. Agent at JFK didn’t print off my connecting ticket and said I would need to re-check back in at HKG. Is it at check-in I should ask about the F lounge possibility I presume?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:25 pm

Cash ticket. Agent at JFK didn’t print off my connecting ticket and said I would need to re-check back in at HKG. Is it at check-in I should ask about the F lounge possibility I presume?
I think your best chance is at JFK, easiest. For them to just print out a F lounge pass and you'll be done with it. But hang on to that pass because the rules technically say you can't get in the F lounge, and you'd have to re-negotiate with someone in HKG to get it again.

However, I can confirm a close friend on cash tix was given F lounge access multiple days after arriving HKG on multiple occasions. Onward flight J only to various destinations in Asia on CX. This flies in the face of the "rules" but makes a lot of common sense...this guy contributes exponents more revenue to CX than the Alaska rewards mileage burners. He flies out here 3-4x annually in F always in F...and never signs up for MPC.

Even if they don't spit out a lounge pass at check-in you should also inquire when you land / check back in. The check-in staff can see your ticket details.

I'm also surprised they can't check through, push back on them at JFK about that.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I'm also surprised they can't check through, push back on them at JFK about that.
It's a stopover and if it indeed exceeds 24 hours, that seems normal.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
It's a stopover and if it indeed exceeds 24 hours, that seems normal.
Even though you can check in for CX/KA flights up to 48 hours earlier?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by SW7London
Even though you can check in for CX/KA flights up to 48 hours earlier?
You may be able to get an mobile boarding pass, but that doesn't necessarily mean check-in agents can print the actual BP, and certainly not tag the bag across a stopover.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

No luck on the F lounge. I asked right after landing in HKG yesterday at the transfer desk to see if they could print my connecting boarding pass and lounge invitation, they said no, need to go outside of security to the check in counters since flight is next day. So I left and went to my hotel. Today when I came back to check in I went to a First Class agent, showed her my F boarding pass JFK-HKG, explained I arrived in F and was hoping to use a F lounge since only J is offered to SIN and was told a firm no - must be same day travel. No harm, I understand it's the rules and though it sounds like others have been luckier, I was not. I'm enjoying the Pier Business class lounge.

What the biggest differences between The Pier & Wing's First & Business class offerings?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:34 pm

No luck on the F lounge. I asked right after landing in HKG yesterday at the transfer desk to see if they could print my connecting boarding pass and lounge invitation, they said no, need to go outside of security to the check in counters since flight is next day. So I left and went to my hotel. Today when I came back to check in I went to a First Class agent, showed her my F boarding pass JFK-HKG, explained I arrived in F and was hoping to use a F lounge since only J is offered to SIN and was told a firm no - must be same day travel. No harm, I understand it's the rules and though it sounds like others have been luckier, I was not. I'm enjoying the Pier Business class lounge.

What the biggest differences between The Pier & Wing's First & Business class offerings?
Pier F has day rooms (no bed though), bigger showers, massages (useless for many of us....multi-hour waits are the norm), and a la carte dining. The downside to Pier F vs Pier J, and it is a big one IMO, is the F size is significantly smaller than J. And Pier J doesn't have all the different room vibes aka noodle room, tea room, buffet room, etc etc. I like that. I personally prefer Pier J unless I want a day room.

Wing F is less crowded than Wing J, and has cabanas. Wing F also has a la carte dining, plus buffet dining, plus a side room with a few salads, antipasti and lame sandwiches. Wing F also has a little seating area they call the Champagne Room. It's more like a few couches surrounding 3-4 bottles of 3 different types of Champagne. A nice concept but nothing to go put of your way for. Usually 2 entry level NVs, plus one entry level Rose. I still don't want to sound too critical here I like the variety. Just it isn't super "worth going out of your way for" stuff.

Even though Pier F is superior or equal to Wing F IMO, the gap between Wing F and Wing J is more vast than Pier F vs Pier J. Wing J always seems like a zoo when I look in.

Put it this way, I regularly frequent Pier J, despite having access to the F lounges on all my flights. But I never frequent Wing J.
somemale likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Pier F has day rooms (no bed though), bigger showers, massages (useless for many of us....multi-hour waits are the norm), and a la carte dining. The downside, and it is a big one IMO, is the size is significantly smaller than Pier J. And it doesn't have all the different room vibes aka noodle room, tea room, buffet room, etc etc. I like that. I personally prefer Pier J unless I want a day room.

Wing F is less crowded than Wing J, and has cabanas. It also has a la carte dining, plus buffet dining, plus a side room with a few salads, antipasti and lame sandwiches. Even though Pier F is superior or equal to Wing F IMO, the gap between Wing F and Wing J is more vast than Pier F vs Pier J. Wing J always seems like a zoo when I look in.

Put it this way, I regularly frequent Pier J, despite having access to the F lounges on all my flights. But I never frequent Wing J.
Thanks for the info and prompt reply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.