Search

HKG layover- Run

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: oneworld
HKG layover- Run

Hi all
I’ve had My layover in HKG extended from 4 hrs to 10 hrs and don’t fancy sitting about in the Wing for that long. I was wondering about heading out for a run.

1. I could fly 2 12 hr legs in running kit. I’d feel sorry for my fellow passengers on the second leg...

2. Make use of the wing/pier to change. Clear immigration, head out for a bit, return, shower and change before flight 2. What to do with hand luggage though? Could I leave a bag in the lounge?

3. Any tips for routes. I’ll also have my bike with em but it will be semi dismantled in a bike box so I was planning on getting this interlined to LHR. A ride would have been nice.

Thanks in advace for any tips.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would not recommend this, as it does not sound like you know Hong Kong enough. What you are trying can be a disaster waiting to happen.

Nevertheless, if you insist, I will suggest Kwai Chung Sports Ground if the schedule works out. I understand it is not ideal. But this is the nearest safe/decent running place from the airport that has public transportation going between the airport.

You can put your baggage at the airport storage for a fee.

Also - for the record, you can't access the lounge then back to the immigration. Things are more difficult now. So you either exit or transit.
trinovant likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:23 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by garykung
... I will suggest Kwai Chung Sports Ground if the schedule works out. ....
For avoidance of doubt, the "schedule" not just refer to OP's schedule, the sports ground may be hired by other organisation and become unavailable to public. @trinovant please refer to garykung's link for the facility's schedule.

And if you are CX GO/DM, you can make use of Pure Fitness:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ure-group.html

Besides running, do you want to swim? Tung Chung Swimming Pool is the nearest-
https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/beach/swi...cation-nt.html

Or do you want to use the gym of hotels nearby? Marriot seems to have day-rate room:
https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUs...Hong_Kong.html
trinovant likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Option 2 is a non starter because the wing and pier are departure lounges, but you could certainly store your carry on in left luggage (cheap).

I'm not an expert on running in HK, but with ten hours, you have enough time to go pretty much anywhere. I suggest you do some googling and report back here with questions.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Your option would be to run around the carpark at the Asiaworld Exhibition centre near the MarriottThe expressway in and out of the airport forbids cyclists and pedestriansSouth Runway Rd towards the airport services and cateriung area has no sidewalks for pedestrians approaching the airportYour option would be to take a Green cab to the Novotel Tung Chung, then run along Man Tung Rd to Tung Chung North park

hessbo likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Whatever you do, keep an eye on your watch.
Clear immigration, take a blue taxi to Tung Chung and select one of the trails. https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/hikin...nds/tung-chung

Remember one of the many taxi call numbers for your return to the airport. Once back through security, do your fellow passengers a favor and have a shower at one of the lounges. There's Zara on the air side should you need a new change of clothes.

Luggage can be stored at the airport.
https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...aggage-storage

Enjoy!
trinovant likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With Avenue of Stars closed, Bowen Road is my favorite place to run in Hong Kong. It would be a real hassle getting there (and back) from HKIA though.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
If OP really wants to run, take bus S1 / S56 to Tung Chung bus terminus and run the north costal of Tung Chung... Some construction work here and there but is fine to run around... Follow the route of S56 / E11 in Tung Chung North before they turn into Airport Island should do
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Your option would be to run around the carpark at the Asiaworld Exhibition centre near the Marriott
Originally Posted by sscywong
If OP really wants to run, take bus S1 / S56 to Tung Chung bus terminus and run the north costal of Tung Chung... Some construction work here and there but is fine to run around... Follow the route of S56 / E11 in Tung Chung North before they turn into Airport Island should do
There are reasons why I don't recommend street running.

Setting safety issue aside, the main problem is whether OP is familar with Hong Kong (or the area he intends to run at the minimum). A sports ground is not ideal to some. But at the minimum, it has accessible public transportation back to the airport. So rest assure, OP will not get lost. On the other hand, with street running, OP can be lost somewhere god knows where. And the problem is? OP may not have a phone capable of calling/searching for help.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
The luggage/shower/immigration etc is easy. But have you ever run in a foreign country before? If not then I wouldn't attempt this when you don't have the leisure of a 'home' or hotel to run back to.

What is the definition of 'run'? 20 minutes? Then you're probably not experienced enough to run in a foreign place with so many restricting factors. It's not worth the hassle.

2 hours? Maybe start from Tung Chung and run around the island. Just plan it out on something like mapometer and scout ahead using streetview. Look online for routes. Just make sure you have a fully charged mobile with offline maps and have a plan.

And what if it rains? It would be pretty miserable for you and everyone else if you have to get back on public transport and immigration if you are soaked. Also check temperatures to see how hot it will be.
trinovant likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by benjai
The luggage/shower/immigration etc is easy. But have you ever run in a foreign country before? If not then I wouldn't attempt this when you don't have the leisure of a 'home' or hotel to run back to.
Again, the OP has TEN HOURS to play with. What's more, Hong Kong honestly isn't all that hard to navigate.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

ever considered jogging in the terminal

might get some looks, but at least it’s air conditioned. and water is only a lounge away :P
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:37 am

With a whopping 10 hours to spare, OP can easily cab to the Lantau Buddha and run up and down the stairs? Or further afield to Dragons Peak and run the hilly terrains?
trinovant likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There are some pretty nice running trails on Lantau Island that would be pretty good for a run, if you're up for the elevation changes.

Lantau Peak | Hong Kong Tourism Board

Lantau Island is close to the airport. Presumably one could catch a taxi to get there? I've never run the trails myself, just seen them from the gondola to Tian Tan Buddha.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:27 pm
Suspended

If you want to go running in HKG then better you go outside and smoke a packet of cigarettes as this will damage your lungs less than running in that toxic air . https://aqicn.org/city/hongkong/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.