Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kaka
Cathay Pacific information site:
https://infosecurity.cathaypacific.com/en_HK.html

If you want to hold CX to legal standing for the loss of private data, the best shot would be using EU GDPR regulations:
What to write to DPO/CX ([email protected]) according to EU GDPR in very short... (ref #177)
(if CX is seen as a HK company, then EU GDPR would apply to all EU Citizen inc valid and expired (not renounced) BNO Holders; and if CX is seen managed by John Swire & Sons Ltd in the UK via Swire, then Data Protection Act 2018 (of UK) which includes GDPR would apply to EVERYONE)
  • ask for data that CX hold on you
  • highlight specifically which data was lost
    (there's a few things you could ask them according to GPDR... refer to the website)
They have 1 month to respond or they will have to give you a reasonable timeframe where they have to respond by within the 1 month before you can go to ICO.

If you are seeking compensation from CX the loss of private data, the following sites are dealing with class action against CX (not a legal advise)
  • http://www.cathaydatabreach.com
  • http://www.classlawdc.com/2018/10/25/cathay-pacific-data-breach-class-action-investigation/
Print Wikipost

9.4 million passengers’ data stolen from CX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
For what? Despite all the moaning I haven't seen a single story of any loss. From 9.4M people you'd think a few would be out there by now if they exist.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by christep
For what? Despite all the moaning I haven't seen a single story of any loss. From 9.4M people you'd think a few would be out there by now if they exist.
I find it hard to believe 9.4 m people got their data stolen and nobody lost anything.

The fact that they waited 5 months after they confirmed the data lost to inform their customers is unforgivable. There are enough similar incidences out there for CX to know this is unacceptable - even if they’re based in a justiation that may not cause them legal issues.

The real question is, what happened to protecting your own customers? Do they really think waiting will make things better reputation wise?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
I've taken a few CX/KA flights in the past few years but never dealt with CX/KA directly (i.e. all booking was made from travel agents or a codeshare partner), and I don't have Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club. I haven't received any notifications. Does that mean I am not affected?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by hermanc
I find it hard to believe 9.4 m people got their data stolen and nobody lost anything.
OK, so let's revisit this when evidence of any such loss emerges. Unless and until that happens this is a storm in a teacup.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
OK, so let's revisit this when evidence of any such loss emerges. Unless and until that happens this is a storm in a teacup.
you’ll have to proof if an incident was because of CX or BA. And any situation would very likely to be huahed anyways
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
A stupid question: If I don't store any travel document (passport etc.) on their web, will it still get stored on their system (as they scan it anyway during boarding) which gets tied to my account?

I usually avoid saving my documents on the airline web etc.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by sxc

Typically companies that recover from these situations end up being the most secure organisations. So flying another airline for this reason may end up being counter productive.
Color me a little frustrated that they were so easily hacked and then sat on it for seven months. That's the real kicker for me. In the grand scheme of things, the info isn't really all that sensitive, save for the travel document, but March? Come on.

You have to wonder if their internal systems for flight planning, etc. could be potentially hacked. Would we even know? This is an enormous cock-up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cathay experience, but can I trust them to even fly me right at this point, based on how they handled this?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
With many people saying they won’t fly CX again...but how many actually cancelled booking? Or made changes to their future bookings as a result of this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:45 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
With many people saying they won’t fly CX again...but how many actually cancelled booking? Or made changes to their future bookings as a result of this.
Well, instead of booking CX for my upcoming trip to Singapore, I just booked a business class round trip with Singapore Airlines.
Gettting tired of CX’s poor excuses and lack of accountability when they screw up.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSE

Well, instead of booking CX for my upcoming trip to Singapore, I just booked a business class round trip with Singapore Airlines.
Gettting tired of CX’s poor excuses and lack of accountability when they screw up.
wish I could do the same, I have a Tokyo trip this November 1-4, I’m so tempted to just go an cancel it and book on a different carrier but since it’s a long weekend it’s quite hard getting any seats on any carrier returning to Manila on the 4th.
jsfrSE likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:43 pm
Suspended

wish I could do the same, I have a Tokyo trip this November 1-4, I’m so tempted to just go an cancel it and book on a different carrier but since it’s a long weekend it’s quite hard getting any seats on any carrier returning to Manila on the 4th.
jal
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:22 pm

Hahaha. We always see a lot of people on this forum and in Hong Kong saying 'I'm not flying CX anymore due to the bad service, poor catering, always delayed flight etc.' but most CX flights are still packed.. I wonder why too hmm lol
percysmith likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by kaka

jal
full
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:07 am

Have to say well done to CX for sacking most of their IT staff in May 2017 and now this? Well done at keeping their executives jobs safe and just cutting jobs from most of the IT team...

So can't blame the non existent IT team in CX (there's literally a skeleton team in there!)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:29 am
Suspended

full
oh well. same for me except i can fly a day later. on JL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.