Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why stay with Cathay Pacific....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
Why stay? Because for all their faults, they are still better than the vast majority of airlines. Cost cutting and service reduction is a theme across the entire industry, at least across anyone who wants to turn a profit. I've been gone from HK for a year nearly and the grass is not often greener. Unless you're (un)fortunate enough to move to Singapore or the UAE/Qatar, CX is still up there.
If you are (un)fortunate enough to move to Singapore or the UAE/Qatar, you may also find out the fares for these airlines charged from their base are ridiculously high.
For example, qatar airways, Doha to LHR round trip in mid November, it costs for 4525.00QAR, at minimum which is about HKD 9800.
For CX, it costs about 6100 HKD for HKG-LHR round trip in mid November.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by Aus106080; Oct 20, 2018 at 11:45 pm Reason: little amendment
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Aus106080
If you are (un)fortunate enough to move to Singapore or the UAE/Qatar, you may also find out the fares for these airlines charged from their base are ridiculously high.
For example, qatar airways, Doha to LHR round trip in mid November, it costs for 4525.00QAR, at minimum which is about HKD 9800.
For CX, it costs about 6100 HKD for HKG-LHR round trip in mid November.
DXB: Backtrack and pass thru DXB from SIN
SIN: EK al la @eightblack ?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

DXB- SIN- DXB- LHR?

flight time is already over 24 hours
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by percysmith

much further than extpe
HaikalS likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
I've been thinking hard about this question ever since I hit 25 years w CX last October. Did NOT get anniversary upgrade from J class (to F) on HKG-LHR-HKG. Ah well. (FYI in general my expectations are low, as I'm "only" GO. 23 years GO; 2 years SL) Still, I'm shocked that I lasted this long w CX.

The PLUSes: The first ten years were great. To think I was a fresh grad, working in exports and flying Y class only to trade shows in Europe. I joined MPO as I needed the extra kgs for our product samples. This was granted, always, and I was treated very well -- the local office kept close contact with me. I was invited to all sorts of CX events -- route launches, anniversaries and got to know the folks at the local office. Me, an Economy class flier! Also: I still have the watch that I got for my 5th anniversary -- an inexpensive Guy Laroche, but I was so pleased with it. The PASSAGES program (does anyone remember that?) was great, as well. Was able to use miles/kilometres to try out SQ Biz Class to Australia. (A bargain at that time.)

And what did CX get from me in return? Well, I ensured that everyone within my sphere of influence, be it family, friends, and colleagues were persuaded to try and fly CX at every opportunity. Sometimes they would complain about the higher price, but I managed to convince them about CX's (then!) superior service.

TODAY: Well, I won't repeat all the complaints we all have about deteriorating service/food. It's still OK, I guess -- IMHO the seats and in-flight entertainment are arguably better than 20 years ago. But the hushed, reverent reactions I got from folks whenever I said I was flying CX and was an MPO member -- well, that's long gone. I know no one in the local office anymore since they "retired" everyone I used to know. And I never recommend CX anymore -- "get the cheapest you can find" I always reply. The biggest irony is I can now afford to fly "J" class all the time -- I should be more valuable now to them than before, but I was treated better when I was in Y class all those years ago. Go figure!

CONCLUSION: I've been enjoying trying out other airlines. Just returned from LHR on MH, on J and F. Enjoyed the satay service, yum! Liked BR as well, and will soon try out the new PR long-haul non-stops. I still fly CX when there are bargains or when I fly to HKG. I enjoy the extensive entertainment selections. But I can only sigh when I see the menu... and dream of years past when a simple thing like a yakitori Y meal from NRT-HKG could bring so much delight!
QRC3288, jsfrSE, HaikalS and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Think you just about summed it up for some of us, and yes I too was a Passages Programme member.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:53 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Felix Felicis
And what did CX get from me in return? Well, I ensured that everyone within my sphere of influence, be it family, friends, and colleagues were persuaded to try and fly CX at every opportunity. Sometimes they would complain about the higher price, but I managed to convince them about CX's (then!) superior service.
!
This!!
I discovered CX in 2012 and I was amazed by their service then. In light of this, I made a point of flying with them as much as a possible to achieve DM status. I reached DM a few years later and used to encourage my friends, family and clients to fly with CX, as I was thrilled by the experience.
But in the last few years, I witnessed first hand the cost cutting the company implemented and I started being disappointed, not to say disillusioned by what CX had become...
I then asked myself the same questions as a lot of you are asking, is it worth continuing flying CX to achieve DM?
I've encountered some disappointing experiences on CX in the last 2 years, both in terms of service and recognition and witnessed at the same time how other airlines had improved.
Having flown the competition, with much lower fares, I can say that the contrast is staggering.
One simple example: flying to Singapore with Singapore Airlines in business class with full flat beds, or in economy class, where you are given hot towels and a menu. And this with lower fares...
Not mentioning my flights to North America with other airlines.
Since January, I haven’t flown one single flight with CX and sadly, I don’t intend to, as the airline has lost me.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Felix Felicis
TODAY: Well, I won't repeat all the complaints we all have about deteriorating service/food. It's still OK, I guess -- IMHO the seats and in-flight entertainment are arguably better than 20 years ago. But the hushed, reverent reactions I got from folks whenever I said I was flying CX and was an MPO member -- well, that's long gone. I know no one in the local office anymore since they "retired" everyone I used to know. And I never recommend CX anymore -- "get the cheapest you can find" I always reply. The biggest irony is I can now afford to fly "J" class all the time -- I should be more valuable now to them than before, but I was treated better when I was in Y class all those years ago. Go figure!
I got refused "a main left from J class" by an ISM few days ago.

It was an early morning 8am flight, too early for breakfast at hotel and also did not have time for food at lounge and I was starving.
ISM however did give me 2 x main from Economy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.