Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why stay with Cathay Pacific....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: CX GO
For me, to stick with CX is because I have no other option. I still enjoy flying with them even though the overall quality has gone done. I base in KHH and mostly travel to KUL/BKK/SIN/HKG and the US twice a year. Although there are direct flights from CI and BR that fly to my destinations but they mostly fly from TPE. I won't be able to catch those early flights from TPE and it's a lot of hassle to travel to TPE airport with heavy luggage. By travelling to TPE to take an afternoon flight, I might as well just take the 8am flight from KHH and transit in HKG. When AirAsia started their A330 to KUL in April '18, I switched to them because their flatbed cost the same as CX Y and the schedule was good and it's a direct flight. However, they slashed it in September and went back to their A320 and the price is very high so I went back to CX/KA for my KUL flights again.

For me, I think their lounges are still good. I still get op-up occasionally. My biggest complaints are the regional J seat is really bad, the food, the redemption programme and the 10-abreast 773. KA used to have better food than CX but I feel that KA's food quality is going downhill too. I wanted to try JAL J class from KHH - LAX but ended up sticking with CX because I think HKG has better lounges (and so many of them in HKG as compared to NRT) and I really enjoy a good shower after a long-haul flight. I'm barely maintaining my GO after the revamp and there is really no other better option for me at all.
QRC3288 and jysim like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:11 pm

Dropped from gold to silver. But that is more due to moving to Singapore, and a job with less travel (silver on SQ) But I now fly purely on schedule and price. The airline that has surprised me is QF. J class seats are middle of the road, which is good enough, but their take on food is excellent (light, healthy & high quality)

Also agree about the N Asian airlines - Eva, Asiana & KE are all very decent.

SQ have become noticably more aggressive on pricing - much less of a 'hub tax' out of SIN than before

CX wins on lounges.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@peasant A380 or A330 seats on QF?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
MPC is really terrible. Unfortunately, unlike most of you out here, my travel is on E, R or at best W on CX. That just means crazy amount of travel (even for TPAC) to get to Gold or Diamond. Not to mention the availability of short haul to CEB is almost always E or lower. So, now that I am Silver, I am going to bank my long haul to AA and quickly get to Emerald so I can enjoy the benefits of first class lounge etc without having to slog to Diamond.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by Nile_US
MPC is really terrible. So, now that I am Silver, I am going to bank my long haul to AA and quickly get to Emerald so I can enjoy the benefits of first class lounge etc without having to slog to Diamond.
Welcome to an expanding club.

The 22/6 changes seems to have proven the final catalyst for many. My CX flying is now redeeming AMEX Air Miles and a rare AA codeshare to Tokyo on my way to the US. Sadly CX offers me nothing I cannot get elsewhere and/or cheaper.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Fly BA and get back to us
Couldn't agree more as I just flew HKG-LHR route in the past 2 weeks.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
A380. The A330 are still 'lie flat' (it is a lie that they are flat...)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by peasant
A380. The A330 are still 'lie flat' (it is a lie that they are flat...)
All but one of the QF A330s have proper vantage XL flat beds now.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:58 am

Why stay? Because for all their faults, they are still better than the vast majority of airlines. Cost cutting and service reduction is a theme across the entire industry, at least across anyone who wants to turn a profit. I've been gone from HK for a year nearly and the grass is not often greener. Unless you're (un)fortunate enough to move to Singapore or the UAE/Qatar, CX is still up there.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
for me it's really because CX and KA offer multiple daily flights to destination that I fly to the most (CGK, YYZ, HKG, CDG, JFK, SFO, etc) so it's very easy for me to plan my travel as deep down i have this "ah there is the morning one.. if i can't get it, there is still afternoon or late evening" perception. so yeah, despite crazy pricing, cost cutting, poor F&B offering, i still stick with CX.

oh and i also think their crew always treat me well in general. i never really have terrible experience with them. some ISM and SP remember me, my stories, my travel, etc so i find this quite novel
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by sxc

Just saw this thread, I am new here, have been reading a lot.

I saw a claimed "investment banker" here who said QF is miles better than CX. I think it really proofs you need to try things rather than trusting comments on Internet forums.

Totally understand why CX is trashing QF easily on this route.

Firstly the Lounge.

in HKG the QF lounge. The salads... well if I am a rabbit then maybe good. The hot food buffet and other selections are no better or worst than CX J Class lounges in HKG, however the F Pier and CX Wing are still miles better in terms of both quality and choices. However food is a personal thing so lets leave it at that.

However the onboard service. Absolute joke:

People keep on saying QF food is better. I mean look at the HKG-SYD/MEL route.

CX serves a proper supper + light options and then a full breakfast.

on QF, it is a dumbed down "small plates" and "large plates" and also don't even think about getting 2nds of anything.
Also most annoying thing is it took forever! more than 2.5 hours to do the dinner service on QF compare to CX max is 1.5 hours on these mid haul.

What is worst is the breakfast! a greasy bacon and egg bun that is size of a Happy meal on QF! Even CX Y Class is better than this.

It doesn't get any better on the way back. The 2nd meal for SYD-HKG, consist of a baby size Chinese take away box that makes Cafe De coral a Michelin star meal. I mean you may not like the food on CX but at least they feed you properly.

On top of this, the random Australian service which can be highly inconsistent. (some really good and some really bad)

Not saying CX is the best, but compare to QF, it is clear which one is better and I will definitely avoid QF when CX is an option.

The only thing QF has and CX doesn't - the PJs which looks crap with the roo on the front and the mattress pad.

Also if that "investment banker" is really one, Wouldn't time and frequency be more important?

Who really cares about a lousy meal when I can actually buy time and choose a schedule that suits me.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by londonexpert
Just saw this thread, I am new here, have been reading a lot.

I saw a claimed "investment banker" here who said QF is miles better than CX. I think it really proofs you need to try things rather than trusting comments on Internet forums.

Totally understand why CX is trashing QF easily on this route.

Firstly the Lounge.

in HKG the QF lounge. The salads... well if I am a rabbit then maybe good. The hot food buffet and other selections are no better or worst than CX J Class lounges in HKG, however the F Pier and CX Wing are still miles better in terms of both quality and choices. However food is a personal thing so lets leave it at that.

However the onboard service. Absolute joke:

People keep on saying QF food is better. I mean look at the HKG-SYD/MEL route.

CX serves a proper supper + light options and then a full breakfast.

on QF, it is a dumbed down "small plates" and "large plates" and also don't even think about getting 2nds of anything.
Also most annoying thing is it took forever! more than 2.5 hours to do the dinner service on QF compare to CX max is 1.5 hours on these mid haul.

What is worst is the breakfast! a greasy bacon and egg bun that is size of a Happy meal on QF! Even CX Y Class is better than this.

It doesn't get any better on the way back. The 2nd meal for SYD-HKG, consist of a baby size Chinese take away box that makes Cafe De coral a Michelin star meal. I mean you may not like the food on CX but at least they feed you properly.

On top of this, the random Australian service which can be highly inconsistent. (some really good and some really bad)

Not saying CX is the best, but compare to QF, it is clear which one is better and I will definitely avoid QF when CX is an option.

The only thing QF has and CX doesn't - the PJs which looks crap with the roo on the front and the mattress pad.

Also if that "investment banker" is really one, Wouldn't time and frequency be more important?

Who really cares about a lousy meal when I can actually buy time and choose a schedule that suits me.
cx serves the same slop for breakfast and their dinners take just as long.
but yeh, if schedule is a thing you value then cx is hard to beat.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Anyone interested in trading Cathay for Air India?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

cx serves the same slop for breakfast and their dinners take just as long.
but yeh, if schedule is a thing you value then cx is hard to beat.
not true. At least not in my experience.

The breakfast on CX is definitely more than QF.

CX offers fruit, muesli bakery items, then a proper main (Chinese and western)

QF offers a fruit bowl and a bacon/egg roll

The dinner/supper service CX is much faster. On average around 1.5 hours you are finished.

QF took considerably longer.

i have some pictures but don’t know how to upload this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by vj_rama
Anyone interested in trading Cathay for Air India?
No although the nature of the two contexts in which the airlines are based means I expect more from Cathay.
But the food on Air India even in economy beats Cathay for quality in my view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.