Why stay with Cathay Pacific....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Being based in Manila it's quite good for CX, at most its just an extra 2-3 hours...there was a time that PAL's flights are so delayed that I'd still get to the destination first before my friends would arrive.
These days it's CX's flights that are chronically delayed.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I still think some of the soft benefits and backward-bendingisms of MPO DM make it worthwhile to stick with CX...I really don't think there is a better OWE program out there among the leading oneworld legacies

Other than that, yes, over these couple years 'liberating' myself to many top-notch products (QR, oh how i LOVE QR if only they had a less sh*tty FFP, Etihad, even like AA TPAC J...not top notch but multiple edges over CX)...I do feel that CX has really anchored itself from being a top-notch industry leader to a very middle-of-the-road key player with its biggest advantage being merely its network, connectivity and (occasionally) competitive pricing (excluding exHKG).

And agree that the customer relations department is terribly weak - they just don't seem to care at all even for DM, which wasn't the case until quite recently TBH.
Luckily 3888's high quality is still around for now.
CX was supposed to reimburse me for the pair of pants that got ripped because of an exposed metal on an A350 seat. they said it would be 2-3 weeks, at the end of the 3rd week, i sent a follow up email...then after a few days I sent another one....when I finally got a reply it said something like this:

Thank you for your latest email.

I have returned to work today, after being away on leave, therefore the delayed response. I have sent a request to our Finance team in Manila to check on your payment. Once I have received a response from them, I will be in contact with you.

Once again, thank you.
Had I known the team in Manila is handling it, I would have just made the follow ups myself.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Oct 11, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
These days it's CX's flights that are chronically delayed.
It's not that bad, the last delayed flight I had was in June and it was WX related.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Well. To answer the fundamental question posed by this thread, the article below sums it up from my perspective. Yes, cabin cleanliness and other frustrations continue to disappoint but when you strip away these inconveniences CX gets it right when it counts (and long may it continue to do so).
https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.co...l-just-gelled/
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
Well. To answer the fundamental question posed by this thread, the article below sums it up from my perspective. Yes, cabin cleanliness and other frustrations continue to disappoint but when you strip away these inconveniences CX gets it right when it counts (and long may it continue to do so).
https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.co...l-just-gelled/
CXs efforts to get rid of their more expensive experienced pilots might make you think about this some more.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:13 pm

Fly BA and get back to us
Arbeysix likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by audio-nut
yeh going to europe is harsh but heading to the americas options are all over the place. me3 isnt great either on the food end
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by audio-nut
Actually I think BA is underrated. Quite happy to receive slightly worse service and product and pocket the fare difference.
Counterpointing likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by kaka

yeh going to europe is harsh but heading to the americas options are all over the place. me3 isnt great either on the food end
i thoroughly enjoyed my QR flights to Europe. F&B + product.

i fly CX because I'm based in HKG and because its OW and i get to use the priority check-in / lounge. And i think i will only fly them in Y for that reason where another OW does not exist.

That said i'm also mulling trying to fly other carrier to mix up the fun. CX a little bit boring now. I enjoyed my JL flights in J recently. SQ J is always good. Haven't flown TG J in a while and never flown the Korean J product which would be fun to try.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the comments, I'm currently weighing my options. A friend of mine took a membership holiday and that could also be an option for me after I finish all my booked flights in December, I could also continue to fly CX till June 2019 (by all indications I could get renewed for another year by April 2019) and enjoy being DM till 2020. OR I could just give up now (with 800+ CP in the bank) and jump ship.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

What are your options for jumping ship?
percysmith likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
thanks for all the comments, I'm currently weighing my options. A friend of mine took a membership holiday and that could also be an option for me after I finish all my booked flights in December, I could also continue to fly CX till June 2019 (by all indications I could get renewed for another year by April 2019) and enjoy being DM till 2020. OR I could just give up now (with 800+ CP in the bank) and jump ship.
you're based in MNL, right? Do you do any Europe-related travel?

For North America, this won't be of any help. But for Europe / Africa, you should really look into EK. I just did a quick dummy search and there are great F fares out of MNL: in the 7-8k USD range round-trip to London, for example. That's not a whole lot more than CX's ex-HKG J class pricing to Europe.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288

For North America, this won't be of any help. But for Europe / Africa, you should really look into EK. I just did a quick dummy search and there are great F fares out of MNL: in the 7-8k USD range round-trip to London, for example. That's not a whole lot more than CX's ex-HKG J class pricing to Europe.
MNL is relatively cheap going to Europe or US. Since I have a US visa, the US is easier for me to go to. Honestly going through hoops just to get a single entry Schengen visa is such a pain...PR is improving at 3K for LHR and 3.5K for JFK direct flight on their A350, its not really that bad. If only QR will start deploying Q Suites to Manila, I might do them more often.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:27 am

A lot of older flyers stick with Cathay, just like why they stick with HSBC. An old name, one they grew up with, are comfortable with, know what to expect, can be guaranteed a Cantonese speaker (I know this is not 100% true, but trust me - it's huge for travelers aged 50+) - and the trouble of changing is just too great, even if the world has changed and other brands are better.

The younger kids are more experimental, similar to how they will have more credit cards, be willing to try new payment methods, virtual banks, cryptocurrency, etc.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288

Am also MNL based and have previously done a lot of J with EK (albeit less in recent years). Food aside I think you will find the EK experience inferior, at least on the MNL-DXB leg of a Europe trip. Worth giving it a try though. As you say fares ex MNL usually very competitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.