Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can i mix premium economy with econ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

can i mix premium economy with econ?

I'm trying to book a multi-city flight from usa to hong kong; hong kong to tpe, and then tpe to usa. I want for the long-haul portions in premium economy. Seats are available for the long haul flights in premium but no premium is available for the hong kong to tpe portion so the system won't show me any evening flights (which is the time I desire). Plenty of seats are available in econ for the tpe-hkg trip in evening.

How can i mix travel classes, take premium on the long haul and econ for the short haul?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by redmaple9
I'm trying to book a multi-city flight from usa to hong kong; hong kong to tpe, and then tpe to usa. I want for the long-haul portions in premium economy. Seats are available for the long haul flights in premium but no premium is available for the hong kong to tpe portion so the system won't show me any evening flights (which is the time I desire). Plenty of seats are available in econ for the tpe-hkg trip in evening.

How can i mix travel classes, take premium on the long haul and econ for the short haul?
Just choose PE as your desired travel class, and the system will show you HKG-TPE seg does not have PE and shows H class instead.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: pleb
You can also choose Y class and see which HKG-TPE flight you'd want to take, and then call CX directly to pick specific flights and class.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i would say fare for published PE to TPE will be cheaper than seperate booking of Pe+Y on longhaul+shorthaul

just book as PE all the way, your hkg tpe leg is pretty much free addon wether it be Y or Pe
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
These days CX will map you to Y anyway if there is no PE available for the segment. I remember the good old days where we would get J in lieu of PEY
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

i still can't get it to work... it's not showing me any flights after 2pm, not econ or business, when i search the whole multi city trip using premium econ; but then when i search using just econ, it shows tons of evening flights avail in econ...

any ideas?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:01 pm

It's weird, because I can easily map round trips ex-LAX where the HKG-TPE portions are in Economy. On certain days, the last flight using PEY leaves at around 1:30pm though, so the system might force these somehow.

Are you willing to share the dates & route in order to reproduce what you are seeing and take it from there?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia
It's weird, because I can easily map round trips ex-LAX where the HKG-TPE portions are in Economy. On certain days, the last flight using PEY leaves at around 1:30pm though, so the system might force these somehow.

Are you willing to share the dates & route in order to reproduce what you are seeing and take it from there?
Thanks for the offer! I was able to call Cathay and get the flight times I needed. The website wasn't downgrading to economy on the HKG-TPE flights and thus only showed flights with premium cabins but at times I didn't need. Odd that the site wouldn't let me book economy on that segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.