Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Dragon to Bangalore or Cathay Pacific to Chennai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze

Hi,

I'm planning to go to India, I'd redeem in business class and I have the choice to either fly Dragon to Bangalore or CX to Chennai. Bangalore is more convenient for me but I think the flight to Chennai being a CX 777 would have flat beds?

Beside that what are the differences? I remember hearing that KA has better catering?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
CX: Flat bed.
KA: regional business class (same as CX regional biz class). To each their own, but I despise the product....

Food: KA used to be better. But this was 1-2+ years ago because CX integrated the companies more closely. I would say there is no longer any advantage at all, and generally CX/KA have poor biz class catering standards.

You can see what plane flies where here on this GDoc the forum maintains: Cathay Pacific/ Cathay Dragon Fleet Route and Configuration Guide
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Might be wrong but the KA flight to BLR used to have a horrible on time performance.

the one r/t that i did though, I got op-upped to biz from coach both ways, and was seated in the KA First seats (with JCL service).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:29 am

The CX long haul seat is better, but if Bangalore is your final destination I think it's worth just putting up with regional business for the convenience of a direct flight. Will you be connecting or starting/ending the journey in HK?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
If BLR is your destination, there is no good reason to spend another 6 hours driving from MAA to BLR.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Might be wrong but the KA flight to BLR used to have a horrible on time performance.
I did this flight 2 weeks ago, honestly the original timing is horrible and was delayed by 1 hour which at that time of the night is not fun. Lounge in BLR are generally very busy at this time.

As others have said, stick to what is most convenient. If there is not much in it, i.e. transfer to CJB, then my preference would be CX.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:35 am

To be fair all the CX/KA flights to India gave horrible timings all leaving between 8pm/9pm arriving back in HK around 9am/10am.
Something to do with connections to the USA.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Yes, I've decided to go to Chennai. At this time of the night, I want to be able to sleep
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by milgom
Yes, I've decided to go to Chennai. At this time of the night, I want to be able to sleep
Are you planning to get a ride from MAA to BLR at 2am?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

No, I'll be staying a night and then taking a plane in the afternoon. It's my first time in India and I'm here as a tourist so will be relaxed...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by milgom
No, I'll be staying a night and then taking a plane in the afternoon. It's my first time in India and I'm here as a tourist so will be relaxed...
Enjoy your stay in MAA. MAA can be very hot. So be prepared for a temperature shock between MAA and BLR. BTW, BLR is not quite a tourist city. As this is your first time to India, please be aware that you should bring a hardcopy of your e-ticket with you showing your date of departure. Some airports will check your passport against your e-ticket printout for same day departure before they let you enter the terminal.

Back to topic, I usually prefer direct flight to destination. It may be more tiring for me to rest for a few hours and head for the airport again. The ride over the Bay of Bengal can be quite bumpy. I can sleep better on bumpy flights so flatbeds does not matter that much in this case.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Good advice for the ticket...

I did read about MAA, it'll be in December so hoping it'll be ok.
Yes, BLR in itself is mostly because we're flying afterward to Malé and I only found that city with a direct flight to Malé, so figured we could stay a couple of day visiting BLR and then fly there...
On the return trip, we definitely wanted to visit Pondicherry and mahabalipuram on the way to chennai before heading back to HK so flying back from MAA is perfect in this case...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Apologies for correcting the mod!

The op will do just fine with a copy of the e-ticket on the smartphone- the DGCA/IN changed regulations a bit back..smaller airports, if they don’t know, it’s easier for them to pull out an airline staff to verify.

First time in India - Ohhh boy- and, I say that as an Indian!

Be open, be careful(just use regular global common sense) and don’t be judgemental, and you’ll be quite allright! Tough to go ‘local’, but most people will be nice and helpful, especially given the destinations mentioned. Avoid BLR traffic!! (I studied there and saw 10min bike rides turn to 45mins, in a 2 yr span..a reunion, 10 years on had all staying on campus).

Relying on bottled water and ‘well’ cooked food are the two most important things to avoid the Delhi belly, imho..(even I get that thing now, at times).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Enjoy your stay in MAA. MAA can be very hot. So be prepared for a temperature shock between MAA and BLR. BTW, BLR is not quite a tourist city. As this is your first time to India, please be aware that you should bring a hardcopy of your e-ticket with you showing your date of departure. Some airports will check your passport against your e-ticket printout for same day departure before they let you enter the terminal.

Back to topic, I usually prefer direct flight to destination. It may be more tiring for me to rest for a few hours and head for the airport again. The ride over the Bay of Bengal can be quite bumpy. I can sleep better on bumpy flights so flatbeds does not matter that much in this case.
I guess this is off-topic, but hardcopies have not been essential for several years. You can show your itinerary either on paper or on your phone. On the other hand it is not "some airports", it is ALL airports.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Avoid BLR traffic!! (I studied there and saw 10min bike rides turn to 45mins, in a 2 yr span..a reunion, 10 years on had all staying on campus).
This is another reason for me to recommend flying direct into BLR instead of MAA in the middle of the night. Traffic can be terrible to and from the airport for the afternoon MAA to BLR flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.