Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying CX as Marco Polo Silver vs OW Sapphire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

I’m currently MP Silver, but considering switching to AAdvantage, as I believe my travel patterns will make it easier for me to get to OneWorld Sapphire with them. Will I have a better shot at free upgrades on long haul flights as a Sapphire?
Also, the flight I take most is an AA codeshare, so I should be able to get full AA miles for it regardless of fare class, correct? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:56 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BOStoHKG
I’m currently MP Silver, but considering switching to AAdvantage, as I believe my travel patterns will make it easier for me to get to OneWorld Sapphire with them. Will I have a better shot at free upgrades on long haul flights as a Sapphire?
Also, the flight I take most is an AA codeshare, so I should be able to get full AA miles for it regardless of fare class, correct? Thanks!
I’d imagine you’d have almost the same, but a slight advantage on Op-ups as a OWS rather than a CX Silver. You should get AA miles as appropriately shown on the AA award charts for your fare class.

If you can make OWS with AA why not? It’s going to be a lot more useful, and it’s relatively harder to maintain top tier status with CX anyhow (except if you fly full fare premium cabin all the time with CX)
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
If you travel solo AND mostly on CX flights, stay with CX.
Otherwise, jump to AA.
somemale and lixiaojuventus like this.

Last edited by wyskevin; Sep 9, 2018 at 7:52 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I (OWS) was once traveling with a MPC Silver companion. He got an op-up to Prem-Y.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wyskevin
Otherwuse, jump to AA.
Yes almost always solo and vast majority of my miles on CX (BOS-HKG). Why do you say to stay with CX in that case rather than go to AA and get to OWS?
One major downside I see is being able to upgrade myself with miles on CX, but i rarely get to do that anyway because Cathay only allows on full price fares.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:47 pm

The major benefit of CX SL is lounge access when flying CX metals, but no companion.
If you travel solo and mostly on CX flights, there is no big difference between CX SL and AA sapphire regarding to lounge access, priority checkin and boarding, and baggage allowance.
But, CX SL is definately easier to get op-up than AA sapphire when flying CX.

The above only focus on the membership benefits.
However, you might also considerate the mileage programme, which one suits you better, Asia Miles or AAdvantage??
windchaser777 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Otherwise, jump to AA.
why would you recommend that? I fly almost 90% on CX metal but hold a OWE status via AA. I don't even think I would make CX GO with my flight pattern. I guess to each their own. to the OP, general rule is expect to fly for what you pay for ... all else is gravy
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by dek526
why would you recommend that? I fly almost 90% on CX metal but hold a OWE status via AA. I don't even think I would make CX GO with my flight pattern. I guess to each their own. to the OP, general rule is expect to fly for what you pay for ... all else is gravy
As I mentioned above, there is no big difference between CX SL and AA sapphire when traveling solo on CX metals.
I also agree that people should expect to fly what they pay for.
Nevertheless, CX SL still hold an advantage over AA members to get op-up, though this would be only gravy....
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:49 pm

As I mentioned above, there is no big difference between CX SL and AA sapphire when traveling solo on CX metals.
I also agree that people should expect to fly what they pay for.
Nevertheless, CX SL still hold an advantage over AA members to get op-up, though this would be only gravy....
Don't forget that in the long run, AA can also earn lifetime miles and eventually you can have lifetime sapphire...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Why would CX SL have an advantage over OW Sapphire for op-up? I would think it’d be the other way around.
Either way, of course I’d expect to fly what I pay for, but looking for any advantage to get those free op ups when they do happen.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:36 am
jh_

Programs: AA EXP; CX SL
I'm somewhat in the same position (both AA Plat/Sapphire along with MPO SL). Was wondering which one I ought to put on my reservation and use when checking in (I can always change it at the gate back again). Would my SL give me priority with IRROPs or op ups compared to Sapphire?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by BOStoHKG

Why would CX SL have an advantage over OW Sapphire for op-up? I would think it’d be the other way around.
Either way, of course I’d expect to fly what I pay for, but looking for any advantage to get those free op ups when they do happen.
According to a friend of mine who works for CX as a GA, CX SL gets priority over OWS for op-ups. The logic seemingly is to prioritise their own members over partners. Same way as CX GO gets higher priority than partner OWE.

That being said, there might be other unknown factors considered in addition to status when figuring out who gets the double beep.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SuloL
According to a friend of mine who works for CX as a GA, CX SL gets priority over OWS for op-ups. The logic seemingly is to prioritise their own members over partners. Same way as CX GO gets higher priority than partner OWE.

That being said, there might be other unknown factors considered in addition to status when figuring out who gets the double beep.
Even SL has higher priority for opup than OWE. Not sure about GR though. It really depends on your flying pattern and how you value those opups, for me, I don't expect too much on it as a SL/OWE.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: pleb
AA Plat/OWS is definitely easier to attain than CX SL. I've flown CX as both MPC SL and AA OWE, and have gotten op-ed up as both. I'm sure CX would rather reward their own members and I haven't flown enough to be able to determine a trend, but in terms of gaining status, AA is much quicker.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:17 am
jh_

Programs: AA EXP; CX SL
Originally Posted by ny911
Even SL has higher priority for opup than OWE. Not sure about GR though. It really depends on your flying pattern and how you value those opups, for me, I don't expect too much on it as a SL/OWE.
I wouldn't say that there's an automatic priority for SL even over OWE (given the benefits they receive in flight, CX probably considers them), but I'm not sure how the system really works or favors one or the other. I solely fly CX but bank to AA and would have reached GO this year but with the same flights plus a few more could easily reach EXP (I wouldn't even dream of OWE with CX). Still thinking of/maybe regretting the decision I made to switch to AAdvantage versus sticking with MPO though... For the flights I take, to make SL is equivalent to AA Plat/OWS and to GO is equivalent to Exp with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.